Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 30th April 2013

Liked 440 Times in 212 Posts
Oh Dr Beeching.....(image heavy)

Out yesterday on the annual spring walk....Dog, Brother and son in tow...finished off a walk we were on 3 years ago, the Monsal Trail in Derbyshire, being a bit of a fan of anything railways, the walk was an eye opener for the legalised vandalism carried out by the infamous Dr Beeching.....

Oh how it ever got to be closed is beyond anyone we spoke to during the walk. The engineering feats alone are staggering...built and competed in 1863 I believe, the 6 tunnels are open now to walk through, so here are some pictures I took along the way....

The tunnel entrance from Monsal viaduct...

Bits of artifacts still remain, this was a signal post still showing where the counter balance was fixed...

Telegraph cable post synonymous with railways years ago...

Another tunnel entrance..

Millers Dale station ...or whats left of it....

The rusting remains of bridge 2 towards MillersDale....

The viaducts and bridges are engineering masterpieces.....

Don't often see this in the countryside now....

The beautiful Derbyshire hills...and the sun came out..

Back to square one after walking 15 miles, Monsal viaduct from below, just a quick climb to the Monsal Head Hotel and the bar awaits !!

Hope you enjoyed the views...no special pictures or alterations just as it is...

Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocknroll59 For This Useful Post:
Melaka (1st May 2013)
Old 30th April 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Oh Dr Beeching.....(image heavy)

A great set. At least someone had the nouse to preserve the route as a walk rather than sell bits off to farmers and developers piecemeal.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 30th April 2013

Liked 850 Times in 240 Posts

Great images Peter, I can remember doing a (shorter) version of a walk from Monsal Head many, many years ago when we lived in Nottingham; its a great place.

E-M5 II, E-M1, E-M1 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
Old 30th April 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,161 Times in 2,469 Posts
Liked 4,469 Times in 2,123 Posts

In these days of dwindling oil reserves, over-crowded roads and expensive motoring, what a valuable resource those lines would be now if they were still open. The Victorians gifted us a rich legacy of engineering genius with the railways and we recklessly threw so much of it away. Beeching was both a fool and a vandal but even more culpable were the government of the day who adopted this madness as their policy. Seems they knew as much about transport as the present government know about economics!

Rant over, thanks for a very interesting set, Peter.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 30th April 2013
Floribunda

This set was of particular interest to me as we have just started to watch "Railway Walks" with Julia Bradbury on TV.
Until this I must confess I had never heard of Dr Beeching, and it has been a revelation to discover more about your railway system and his decisions to close them down.
I am pretty sure that your walk was one that was featured on the show.
I enjoyed seeing part of this countryside again.
Old 30th April 2013

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

" In the name of progress............................." Humbug
The excuse of all politicians to line the pockets of their friends.

At least , in this case, something remains for this generation to admire.
Old 1st May 2013

Liked 440 Times in 212 Posts

Thanks for the kind comments.....seems as if those of us with any sense of a brain would realise that oil is a limited resource...these rail routes were built at great cost to business and lives...this particular route would enable travel through a very heavily used tourist and mining area, the number of large lorries we counted was incredible on small twisting country hilly roads....this rail route used to take that with ease, and the politicians of yesterday and today seem devoid of common sense......but hey ho the recent Scottish government decision to reopen the waverley route closed since 1968, shows if the desire is there it can be done...most if not all of the reopened lines double or treble the actual passenger numbers in a very short space of time.....this line who knows ....the structures are still in very good condition..if the will is there who knows in the years to come...rant over.

BTW if you want to walk the route it's approx. 8 miles from Bakewell to Millers Dale, nice flat route so no steep hills..and views to die for.

Peter
Old 1st May 2013

Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,436 Posts
Liked 1,427 Times in 910 Posts

The closure of the railways lines was a complete disaster for the country, but (perhaps in a minority) I don't blame Beeching who was just doing a job but the government of the day who didn't have the foresight to look at ways of saving them but rather looked for ways of making them pay their way.

Even more of a scandal is that even now bits of land are being sold off or given to Sustrans just to ensure that the old routes can never be resurrected. I don't believe that there is any mechanism to reclaim the Sustrans cycle tracks and re-lay train lines and that this was a deliberate piece of policy.

But these are grand pictures to remind us of the wasted potential.
Old 1st May 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Thank You for posting these ! Such a wonderful walk in outstanding countryside. a very interesting dialog too I lurve Millers Dale looking down on the river best and the mono after it
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album