Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 23rd November 2012

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts
Re: Frustration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetset95 View Post
David have you seen Brian1208's thread Windsurf Action with the EM-5 + 75-300 in the OM-D forum http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24296 He gives some idea of what you can do with the OM-D and C-AF mode (with the 75-300mm lens). If you haven't seen it you might want to check it out, he has some impressive action shots, but does say he hasn't had the chance to test his new technique out on BIF yet...

James
Has Brian said he has the luxury of time to acquire focus on that subject and it works for him on that subject.

I think Brian said it all here and has no illusions to a quick fix for CAF on very fast moving small subjects on the OMD.

Quote:
(The poor BIF performance has been the biggest regret so far, even though I knew it would be, so if I can find a way of using it I will be delighted)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 23rd November 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,270 Posts
Liked 1,705 Times in 772 Posts

I was chatting with Andy Elliot yesterday and he says he has improved the tracking C-AF on the E-M5 performance by playing with release priority settings.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Greytop (21st December 2012)
Old 21st December 2012

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I was chatting with Andy Elliot yesterday and he says he has improved the tracking C-AF on the E-M5 performance by playing with release priority settings.

Ian
I would be interested to hear more about this

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 22nd December 2012

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

After nearly 7 years with the E-1 and E-300, and literally thousands of BiF images either missed or deleted in that time, I only have ONE in flight picture I have kept.

I am not thinking of changing from Olympus, mainly because I just cannot afford to,But I have recently had the chance to use a Sony Alpha 99 with an old Minolta automatic 500mm f8 Mirror lens attached to take Birds of Prey. Just stunning, the speed of focus on this set-up.

This may seem away from the point, but I am sure that Olympus and Sony have collaborated in the past? Why not again to achieve what we are all looking for?
Old 22nd December 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
David have you seen Brian1208's thread Windsurf Action with the EM-5 + 75-300 in the OM-D forum http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24296 He gives some idea of what you can do with the OM-D and C-AF mode (with the 75-300mm lens). If you haven't seen it you might want to check it out, he has some impressive action shots, but does say he hasn't had the chance to test his new technique out on BIF yet...

James
Yes I have and I have photographed wind and kite surfers myself with that outfit, but these are large subjects and are visible for prolonged periods enabling focus lock. Large slow flying birds like Heron, Buzzard or Kite are a fairly straight forward target as well but have a Sparrowhawk burst out of a hedge a stay in view for a few seconds before disappearing is a different situation - as long as I can get it anywhere in the viewfinder the 7D will lock on and get a couple of shots with ease. Having spent many months trying to catch similar subjects with the E-M5 I can assure folks that the Canon is a revelation in this respect. Latest info on Olympus future developments is interesting so let's keep our fingers crossed they crack this problem, which is essentially a CDAF issue not confined to Olympus.

David
Old 22nd December 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
We seemed to have drifted off the original subject which is I wish that Olympus would give me what the Canon does with regards to bird photography and I hold out great hopes that the forthcoming "Pro" offering will do the trick. I decided that, with Olympus, the m4/3 path was probably going to be the main effort from now on so I've sold most of my 4/3 kit, ...

With regards to the BIF capabilities of the E5, I agree it could do a good job especially using the settings recommended in the Dpreview post which is basically what I did. But when you use it alongside the Canon 7D at the same time, on the same birds the difference is blinding - I was amazed. The main difference is not just in tracking but initial acquisition of the subject - and both cameras use phase difference! When we come to CDAF the situation is puzzling as the initial aquisition rarely seems to happen before the bird has gone, and I have tried every combination of settings. And by the way the example images shown in the DPreview of a jet fighter at close range isn't a valid demonstration of how a camera will perform with BIF - a large subject travelling towards the camera gives plenty of time for acquisition and is large enough to track easily - try this on a Wood pigeon that suddenly bursts from cover and fly fast and erratically against a cloudy sky, the Canon will acquire, track and knock of several shots before the Olympus E5 was able to lock on. And, with reference to several comments in the DPreview thread about the capabilities of older lenses, let us not forget that the Canon 400mm f5.6L is a 9 year old lens and the 7D is a 3 year old camera!

I had the advantage of trying the Canon outfit (my mate's) alongside my E5 with both 50-200mm SWD/EC14 and my 300mm f2.8 which is what forced me to make the decision to change. So please, please Olympus do the development that we know you can to correct this imbalance!

David

David, glad we are "back on track" . Reading of the "rumoured E-7 this week" I too, have high hopes for Oly and am desperate to see more of the E-7 - I shall place an open order with Park Cameras in January ! no matter what the price - as now photography is my main hobby and I am getting more into Birds and other Wildlife in ... olde age ...

I did order an OM-D but decided against this after reading various reviews relating to CAF and comparing Oly to the *anon ...

I DARE NOT GET CLOSE TO THE *ANON because if I try it, it will be here and I do have a lifetime of strong allegiance to Olympus - as Mercedes & Ducati (and fine French red wines) ...
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album