Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 22nd April 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
suggestions for a small, affordable camera ...

I'm hoping to buy a cheap, small and reliable little camera for our oldest offspring to take on a walking trip abroad. It's very much a one-of trip that they're unlikely to repeat, so a camera is a must-have - but not mine!

It needs to be small enough to tuck into a pocket, easy to get batteries anywhere in the world, able to tolerate heat and humidity and, I think, probably also cheap enough to lose and not worry too much. So if possible less than Ł100.

I've had a look online and in a couple of shops, but I'm bemused by the choices and I'm wondering if I'm hoping for too much.

Has anybody got any ideas please? Olympus would be nice, because I like the brand, but I suppose it isn't essential and I hope Ian won't mind me asking outside the general remit of the forum.
Old 23rd April 2008
Jim

Re: suggestions for a small, affordable camera ...

If you could strech to Ł130 ish you could get the:

Quote:
The Olympus µ[mju:] 790 SW goes anywhere you do. Shockproof*, waterproof** and freezeproof, you can take it mountain biking, swimming or skiing. It handles whatever life throws at it – so there’s never a need to worry. Despite its tough attributes, the 7.1 Megapixel µ[mju:] 790 SW looks great and doesn’t compromise a bit on photographic features. It is available in a choice of four expressive colours: Starry Silver, Midnight Black, Sunset Orange or Marine Blue.
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=103034

A fantastic product as they are so robust.
Old 23rd April 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

FWIW, Which? have the following listed as "Best Buys" at around that price point:

Samsung Digmax S1050 - £100 (66%)
Fujifilm FinePix S5800 - £126 (70%)
Fujifilm FinePix S5700 - £130 (66%)
Canon Powershot A630 - £127 (66%)
Canon Powershot A720IS - £150 (67%)
Fujifilm FinePix F30 - £160 (68%)

Which? are probably better at testing washing machines than cameras (although I have heard doubts expressed about their "white goods" tests too), but I suspect that at the budget, non-DSLR end, they have some merit in sorting the wheat from the chaff.

From my personal experience, I can recommend the Ricoh Caplio R range. Mine is an R1, and has been working fine for four years (it was responsible for getting me back into photography). Highly compact and pocketable, runs off AA cells, takes SD cards. The only problem with mine is that the sliding door to the lens compartment now tends to stick open - shuts with a flick of the wrist. The R1 (and many of the other R series, I think) have the advantage of a 28mm (35mm equiv) wide end. For eg, there's a 7MP R5 on FleaBay at the moment for £140 inc postage and a 1Gb card ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ricoh-Caplio-R...QQcmdZViewItem )

You might well be able to better that at your local dealer, especially if a used one turns up.
Old 23rd April 2008
ndl0071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
If you could strech to Ł130 ish you could get the:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=103034

A fantastic product as they are so robust.
I quite agree I have an Oly 770SW which I 'lend' out to my 2 teenagers, it's been half way across Europe with them, recently it survived 2 weeks in Sweden.... and guess what?......it's still in one piece

I give it 'Highly Recommended'

Cheers
Neil
Old 23rd April 2008
tiredandweary

I just bought a Fujifinepix S5700, and its not bad, but it has no Raw mode, 4 second max shutter, 13. something smallest aperture, and you need to buy a power lead because the batteries tend to run out while downloading jpegs.
Old 24th April 2008

Liked 689 Times in 364 Posts

If picture quality is not an issue, that mu770sw is one fantastic camera. It's really rugged. You can try drowning it and really dropping it and it survives.

The picture degrades due to the thick glass protection.

All my garbage so far.
Old 24th April 2008

Liked 59 Times in 23 Posts

I have the mu790sw, I find a great camera. Ideal to carry around all the time as it's small enough to slip into a pocket. The battery life is good and if you have XD cards already there is no need to go out and but more memory cards. I find this a bonus as I only have CF & XD.

Derek C
Old 24th April 2008
superman

I have one mju790SW for my 4 years old daughter.
Remember she dropped it while she's running...the camera survive thru...I say it's one though & durable camera.
Old 24th April 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

Hi,
My mju 725 SW is with me all the time. It has got wet (salt water), it's got hot (left it in my black car on a rare sunny day), it got cold (-6 C) overnight in car), it lives in a pocket with all sorts of other stuff (including keys), my 4 year old nephew has had hold of it so it can take a bashing

And it takes really good pictures (all by itself, I have nothing to do with it)

I'd strongly recommend the any of the SW mjus, they do exactly what it shows in the TV advert

They often show up on ebay (I know it's a risk) but there are good buys to be had

Graham
Old 28th April 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, thanks everybody You've given us a lot to think about.

I'll print this out and go through some of the suggestions, the casting vote won't be mine, but I might keep an eye out for one of the little Olys for myself some time.

Quote:
And it takes really good pictures (all by itself, I have nothing to do with it)
I quite like that idea
Old 28th April 2008
emirpprime

Good luck with the decision! Just wanted to add another vote for the Oly µSW range. Excellent cameras and able to take a beating. It is also fun taking them in the pool/sea
All the best,
Phil