Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 11th November 2010

Liked 1,633 Times in 1,045 Posts
Monitor Back Replacement - HOWTO

As I mentioned in another post, I've recently had my monitor LCD screen 'split'. The cause is that the internal lugs on the opening end of the rear part of the screen fail (they're just not substantial enough).

Rather than send the camera away, with the attendant high postage and labour cost, I decided to tackle the replacement of the screen back myself. The task proved to be trivial.

Parts Needed:
-------------
Olympus E-3 - LCD Monitor Back Cover - VK605401. (6.50 from Luton Camera Repair Services. Unfortunately the postage of 3.50 inflates this cost, but hey, why not order a flash hotshoe cover and remote socket cap while you're at it - you've probably lost them anyway by now!)

Tools:
-----
1) Small Phillips screwdriver (eg Draper number 0). Get a decent quality branded make _don't_ get a set from a 'poundshop' - your camera deserves better!

2) Thin bladed pocket knife - eg the small blade of a 'Swiss Army' knife.

3) Forceps/tweezers (for handling the small screws).

4) Watchmaker's Eyeglass. This is optional, but a great help.

Procedure:
---------
1) Remove the two screws at the opening end of the monitor.

2) At the hinge end you will see two circular disks about 7mm diameter. Carefully prise them off using the tip of the knife blade. They are held with a soft self-adhesive and cover two screws. Set the disks to one side.

3) Remove the two screws exposed at (2).

4) The back will now be free and can be removed.

5) Remove the broken pieces of lug remaining from the old back.

6) Check joint faces for dirt and fit new back.

7) Fit screws and disks covering hinge side screws.

Job done!

Jim
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
Howi (11th November 2010), kidslateinlife (19th September 2013), michaelavis (15th November 2010), rsh1960 (24th April 2014), stevednp3 (28th March 2011)
Old 11th November 2010

Liked 47 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Monitor Back Replacement - HOWTO

Sounds straightforward.

I've heard one or two stories about the monitor back coming off.
Is this because the users stow their cameras with the screen facing inwards and consequently open & shut it every time the camera is taken out or is it just a poorly designed component.
I ask as I usually have the screen facing out (protected by a Jessops screen protector) & only turn it for ease of use at awkward angles. I may not use the rotation facility as often as others.

Quote:
why not order a flash hotshoe cover and remote socket cap while you're at it
Or for me, an eyepiece. I'm laying in a stock.

Duncan
Old 11th November 2010

Liked 1,633 Times in 1,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
Is this because the users stow their cameras with the screen facing inwards and consequently open & shut it every time the camera is taken out or is it just a poorly designed component.
A combination of the two. The lugs simply aren't robust enough. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that the lugs aren't internally threaded and rely on the screws 'self-tapping' into the plastic. This builds in stress when the screws are inserted.

Jim
Old 21st November 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear Jim,

I just logged on to create exactly the post that you have, I am glad I had a search first to find yours and save a duplicate entry. I can only support your fine words that this is a straightforward job and Luton cameras are so helpful. The only problem I had was that they were out of stock of the monitor covers when I rang. Sadly this meant that I had to go out in public with a taped up E-3.

In my case I padded out the order with a flash diffuser for a FL-20, just 5 which is not a lot of padding really!

Cheers

Chris
Old 10th February 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello Jim,

I did exactly as you suggested, replaced the broken LCD back cover. That saved me loads as my camera is past warranty period. Thanks a lot.

I must mention, Luton Camera rocks, pretty straight forward.

Kind regards,
adal
Old 28th March 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have just replaced mine, Thanks to Jim for the idiot proof instructions and Luton Camera Repair Service for there prompt and efficient delivery. Job successfully completed.

Len
The Following User Says Thank You to Andel For This Useful Post:
Jim Ford (28th March 2011)
Old 28th March 2011

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,141 Posts

I prefer to do my own repairs for obviously straight forward procedures to save on cost & inconvenience & this sounds exactly like one of them. My E410 (which I gave to my son) rolled off a box while connected to the computer & even with the rubber eyepiece, the viewer glass broke. I was able to order the component (viewer cover assembly) from the private company that handles parts in Australia & do the same thing by using a quality jewellers screw driver & blowing out the broken glass & now it is as good as new again.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 21st June 2011

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks Jim, I've lived with mine for almost a year! For a tenner, I'm going to sort it.
Terry
Old 29th October 2011
rslatem

This is surely an inherent defect that Olympus should repair free of charge warranty or not. From this, and other, forums it is clearly common and known issue. I have contacted Olympus support who directed me to UK support. I have been waiting for almost two weeks for them to confirm whether it is a known issue. UK Support claim that they have never come across this before.

I am rapidly losing trust in Olympus.

I have been considering a 14-35mm lens for some time but the price of a 2nd hand Canon 5D Mark II and new 50mm f1.4 kept me from committing the cash. Now the price of a new 5D is crashing and with Olympus' attitude to their mistake in design I'm tempted to get what money I can for my Zuiko lenes and jump ship.

I really should have listened to those OM users who were turned over by Olympus with the switch to 4/3rds. This is not a company that cares about its customers. They are a company that makes a very good product and sells it for a reasonable price, expecting reason to win out against experience.

It is amazing how something so small can have such a big impact. I was a happy Olympus advocate a couple of weeks ago.

This is an excellent thread and was really helpful when the screen first split.
Are there any suggestions for how to extract the base mount that may be still locked in the camera body, without damaging the LCD?

Last edited by rslatem; 29th October 2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: after thought
Old 29th October 2011

Liked 180 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslatem View Post
It is amazing how something so small can have such a big impact. I was a happy Olympus advocate a couple of weeks ago.
I must admit from my recent experiences, I'm very much an advocate of Olympus Support/Service.

I had cause to return my E-3 as the hot shoe contacts had corroded. It was well out of warranty and declared as such when I wrote the covering letter. I fully expected to be charged for the repair. Since there was room in the box, I also sent off a couple of lenses for a checkup, although I wasn't aware of any issues with either; they were also well out of warranty. I was just hoping for a once-over and a re-lube of the water seals.

Of the two lenses, one was re-calibrated for AF, the other had the transport mechanism replaced.

The E-3 had the whole top cover replaced and the shutter was renewed due to exposure inaccuracies ( I wasn't aware of a problem).

All three items were returned in about 3 weeks or so free of charge.
Personally I consider that stunning service, which certainly encourages brand loyalty from me.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 29th October 2011

Liked 127 Times in 69 Posts

Seems a very simple job. I always leave my screen face out and hardly ever use live view.

Steve
Old 29th October 2011
rslatem

That is a very positive story, thanks Peak4. Did you speak to the UK Support arm before shipping your equipment off to them?
Where did you send it?

The swivel LCD live view screen was a key feature in picking between cameras when I bought the E-3. It really opens up a range of shots and provides greater flexibility.

When the screen bezel / mount is broken in this way, the LCD is really vulnerable to damage. My LCD was damaged as a direct result of the mount breaking, so this needs to be replaced as well. Not quite so simple.
Old 29th October 2011

Liked 127 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
All three items were returned in about 3 weeks or so free of charge.
Personally I consider that stunning service, which certainly encourages brand loyalty from me.
Some time back I had an RM-CB1 remote that needed repair (broken plug). The remote was way out of warranty but Olympus sent a new replacement free of charge. The type of customer care that keeps people loyal to Olympus.

Steve
Old 29th October 2011

Liked 180 Times in 120 Posts

Yes I spoke to Oly UK but elected to post the items myself as per the instructions HERE

There's a repair form in section 3.3 to download and fill in.
Personally I would add a polite and helpful covering letter referring to what you suspect may be a design fault. A quick search of this and other Olympus forums should provide you with enough ammunition.

I actually had cause to return a previous E-3 body for a viewfinder problem, but they actually replaced the LCD housing as a matter of course, even though it wasn't showing a problem at the time.

When I needed to return the 300mm to the DHL address in Nottingham, the insurance just from Sheffield so Nottingham proved to expensive that it was cheaper to drive down there and hand the package over in person.
The folks at DHL were quite amenable to this; I don't know where you live of course. The DHL office, rather than being the main Nottingham depot, is a small one on a little industrial estate just north of the centre.
It is a bit pot luck as to how long the repair takes; I'm guessing that they don't ship to the Portugese repair centre every day, though I may be quite wrong on this goung by the depots name. Either way a couple of days later I got a receipt of arrival email from Portugal.

I probably should point out that I was a member of the, seemingly now defunct, E-Master Club. I did of course mention this in correspondence.

Good luck

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 16th May 2012
T800

Display back replaced today, thanks to Jim's post which I found through Luton Camera Repair Services Ltd. website which I was directed to by Geir Ertzgaard on the Flickr Olympus E-3 discussion group.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Jim Ford (16th May 2012)