Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 12th January 2014

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Mindfulness ? for Stress & Depression :)

Mindfulness is every where on the web, libraries etc, some good employers have even hired trainers to deliver short courses on mindfulness. I had not heard of it until a couple of years ago, now it seem every where. some sites do charge, but there are plenty of free sources if you look.

Kind regards
Old 12th January 2014

Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts

Sorry...I still don't get it...

Awareness of the sensations of breathing and the body anchors our attention and allows us to rest, with a deepening ability to observe thoughts and emotions with clarity, stability, resilience, and our full intelligence. Healing our suffering can begin when we learn how to go about seeing ourselves as we are, developing compassion for the parts we may have rejected: befriending ourselves, with the help of mindfulness, and making changes with a sense of non-insisting, bare awareness, and curiosity.

Still sounds like total gobbledegook to me...I don't think I understood a word of that boŁŁocks!

"...befriending ourselves, with the help of mindfulness..." ? ? ?

Chevvy, I'd be grateful if you could send me a link by PM to the article you found because I'm struggling to find any sensible information regarding this technique.

Janet

The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (12th January 2014), StephenL (12th January 2014)
Old 12th January 2014

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Sorry...I still don't get it...

Awareness of the sensations of breathing and the body anchors our attention and allows us to rest, with a deepening ability to observe thoughts and emotions with clarity, stability, resilience, and our full intelligence. Healing our suffering can begin when we learn how to go about seeing ourselves as we are, developing compassion for the parts we may have rejected: befriending ourselves, with the help of mindfulness, and making changes with a sense of non-insisting, bare awareness, and curiosity.

Still sounds like total gobbledegook to me...I don't think I understood a word of that boŁŁocks!

"...befriending ourselves, with the help of mindfulness..." ? ? ?

Chevvy, I'd be grateful if you could send me a link by PM to the article you found because I'm struggling to find any sensible information regarding this technique.

Janet

Janet, I only have a two page article - which Nick scanned for me from a magazine - It is a type of meditation, it can release toxins built up by stress in your body which are damaging) so drink a glass of water before, sip water during and drink a glass of water after - as like Reflexology these toxins can -after being relaxed - build up in your kidneys and cause discomfort or even pain

so pm me your email and I can attach them - as I cannot send attachments with a pm

Glee - I thinks its bit like NLP ... in that what you think is what can happen ... thus clear your mind of back dated dross and stop worrying about what may happen
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 12th January 2014

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Yes, I get NLP, information is only information, you get to decide what the personal meaning might be for you. Failure is only information, and from that you can learn, a very optimistic idea.

Mindfulness for me at least is the concept of being in the here and now, not living my past pains and distresses in the here and now, or living in anticipation of future that is based on my personal biography, but my potential as a person.

Both seem helpful. Its hard to unlearn old habits and for me at least, it is work in progress. Having a vision a more posative alternative future is uplifting. It can be three steps forward and two back, NLP, its still progress!

Best wishes
Old 12th January 2014

[QUOTE=Glee;273889) ... Its hard to unlearn old habits and for me at least, it is work in progress. Having a vision a more positive alternative future is uplifting. It can be three steps forward and two back, NLP, its still progress!

Best wishes[/QUOTE]

I like to think that a positive is always two forward, even if one back sometimes

Having a vision a more positive alternative future is uplifting for sure

I often wake around 3.50/3.55 thinking about past things ... like my middle son blaming me (because his Nan my MiL said so, "you should never have taken me skiing then I would not have had that accident " ... it helps me to think of the positive fun experienced over 10 years of skiing with my sons at Christmas/New Year ... and so I am picturing our last great fun skiing and the runs we enjoyed ... before they outgrew holidays with Mum

the ONE photo album
Old 12th January 2014

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Yep, blame is tough to deal with, I try to tell myself that in life there are perceptions and truths. They both look and feel the same and people act accordingly.

I generally believe my intentions are good even when I get it wrong. This helps me forgive myself when things go wrong or do not work out. Sure, I am sorry if what I do has unwanted consequences for others, I just hope that they can look past my mistakes and see my good intentions.

BW
George
Old 12th January 2014

Liked 1,633 Times in 1,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
It is a type of meditation, it can release toxins built up by stress in your body which are damaging) so drink a glass of water before, sip water during and drink a glass of water after - as like Reflexology these toxins can -after being relaxed - build up in your kidneys and cause discomfort or even pain
I'm right with Janet on this one - it's all err, what she said! And as for Reflexology - <splutter>!!

Jim
The Following User Liked This Post:
StephenL (13th January 2014)
Old 12th January 2014

Liked 181 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Peter, lurve too weekends ? I am currently planning a days "tour" of historic and interesting photographic locations for a Tour for friends who are coming to stay in Spring - we could test out times/rate the locations ?

ps yesterday I was at The Fairground ... Quilting stores as Quilters Dream @ Picket Piece was closed on saturdays
Certainly can do W/E but also have huge amount of holiday the Gov owe me to use up before end of April. PM me some suggestions & dates. I need to get out like you a stressful time at present.
Old 13th January 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Hartland View Post
Certainly can do W/E but also have huge amount of holiday the Gov owe me to use up before end of April. PM me some suggestions & dates. I need to get out like you a stressful time at present.
Well, Peter depends on weather but both Sat & Sun are ok for me, I shall know what time pottery is on Fridays today, but also Fridays ? Also, I want to visit a couple of Studs and photograph their new foals "frollicking in the sun"

Nick is burying himself in getting this Camper/Supa Moto Home finished and off for Mot & spraying so I am a weekend widow

the ONE photo album
Old 14th January 2014

I just found this book on Amazon - its quite reasonable in price and after "Taking a LOOK inside" I ordered it Cheap really take a LOOK inside yourself

Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world: Amazon.co.uk: Prof Mark Williams, Dr Danny Penman: Books Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world: Amazon.co.uk: Prof Mark Williams, Dr Danny Penman: Books

the ONE photo album
Old 14th January 2014

Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts

Thanks for sending me that link Chevvy.

I've downloaded a couple of free books for my Kindle PC to research a bit more into it, but I'm struggling to find any free information/guides on t'Internet...most of them extol the virtues of Mindfulness, but then go on to ask for money to get the real stuff!

It's hard to admit, even to myself, but I'm struggling with stress/depression at the moment, having undergone major thoracic surgery towards the end of last year and one or two other family problems. Normally I'd ride out any difficulties, but I can feel now that I need some help to get me back to where I was.

I'm very sceptical, and don't usually go for this airy fairy mumbo jumbo stuff, but I'm prepared to give anything a try to lift me from this low I find myself in.

Janet

Old 14th January 2014

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Prof Mark Williams also did a number of audio tapes on mindfulness, my wife is quite keen and finds them helpful.
Like a lot of things there is no quick fix, mindfulness takes time to develop and requires effort and sustained commitment, it's not so much a technique, but a way of living your life. It's not for every one, and the good news in that is there are other things you can do to manage stress and low mood. It is worth giving mindfulness a try, you won't be risking much and you may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 14th January 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Thanks for sending me that link Chevvy.

I've downloaded a couple of free books for my Kindle PC to research a bit more into it, but I'm struggling to find any free information/guides on t'Internet...most of them extol the virtues of Mindfulness, but then go on to ask for money to get the real stuff!

It's hard to admit, even to myself, but I'm struggling with stress/depression at the moment, having undergone major thoracic surgery towards the end of last year and one or two other family problems. Normally I'd ride out any difficulties, but I can feel now that I need some help to get me back to where I was.

I'm very sceptical, and don't usually go for this airy fairy mumbo jumbo stuff, but I'm prepared to give anything a try to lift me from this low I find myself in.

Janet

Janet, I am very sorry to hear this and can honestly say no matter what it is getting you down, talking to someone is a wonderful "release" ... years ago I went to an Olive Branch CBT group and came away feeling so very lucky that my problems were monumental to me, but actually I was lucky !

Last ... September I think, My Nick was very poorly ... and he had to have a biopsy on each lung and I was almost out of my mind ... incredibly stressed - he's had Asbestosis and less than 50% of each lung for some years BUT THIS was a few levels of worry up - taking my stress levels spiraling ... Nick is never going to get better ...

We are in the process of having accepted a Developers Offer for the house and nearly half acre to be demolished and 4 homes built here ... the Council approved the plan in principal and now the Architect is finalising the formal plans in detail for the application ... currently the Winchester Council are approving Developers Plans in 3 months - which means we could be on 3 months notice to complete by March !

I have re thought all our plans, and we are putting most stuff in storage, and renting for 6 months to give us breathing space - just making these decisions has relaxed both of US ... were it not for learning of Mindfulness and taking a few hints out of this ladies magazine Article (I emailed to you) I would still be very stressed.

We have to stop worrying about what we cannot change and plan our life, in the details we can change and plan ... which most often is more about living in the here and now, not the past ... or too far in the future.

Janet I hope this helps you :

I have also had "my fill" of family problems - as have so many on here and those problems are a real "mares nest" as not really something we can change

the ONE photo album
Old 14th January 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glee View Post
Prof Mark Williams also did a number of audio tapes on mindfulness, my wife is quite keen and finds them helpful.
Like a lot of things there is no quick fix, mindfulness takes time to develop and requires effort and sustained commitment, it's not so much a technique, but a way of living your life. It's not for every one, and the good news in that is there are other things you can do to manage stress and low mood. It is worth giving mindfulness a try, you won't be risking much and you may be pleasantly surprised.
Glee thanks for this - I am teetering on the brink of purchasing an audio recording

the ONE photo album
Old 14th January 2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You might also be interested in these. http://www.overcoming.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=4795