Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 9th November 2013

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Used, new grey import, and warranty?

Hi all,

Am considering a move from 4/3rds to micro4/3rds and the EM-5 would be my camera of choice. However money means that I can't afford a new one from a uk dealer so I'm looking at 2nd hand (from forum or fleabay) or new from one of these Hong Kong outfits.

My questions are around warranty -
I think that a new UK model would come with 2 years warranty from Olympus?
Does this transfer to a second owner?
If so, is a receipt required? (It seems lots of sellers don't keep their receipts, or don't have them in the first place!)

I think that a grey import would come with a 1 year warranty from Olympus - is this correct?
A lot of the Hong Kong sellers provide their own warranties as well but usually involve sending the camera back to HK.

Any advice or experiences gratefully received!

Thanks,

Pete.
Old 9th November 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Used, new grey import, and warranty?

Basically you are correct in your assumptions. I would treat any warranty which involves sending the camera back to HK (or anywhere else) as worthless. You may be better looking for a used one from a major UK dealer, such as Ffordes or SRS. That way you'll have their own warranty as well as the balance of any Olympus guarantee. However, cameras sold on this forum have generally been looked after, as we're all confirmed Olympus addicts.

I might, just might, consider selling mine.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 12th November 2013

Liked 1,499 Times in 375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteh13 View Post
Hi all,

I think that a new UK model would come with 2 years warranty from Olympus?
Does this transfer to a second owner?
If so, is a receipt required? (It seems lots of sellers don't keep their receipts, or don't have them in the first place!)
Yes, Olympus cameras come with two year warranty. To claim the warranty you need the receipt/proof of purchase.

From own experience: EM-5 sold in UK, sold to me (private purchase on this forum, second hand). I had no problems in claiming the warranty at Olympus Sweden, provided I had the warranty card and receipt.

My Gallery on 500px
Old 12th November 2013

Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts

When buying grey imports, as well as not being able to claim on the UK guarantee, you have to be sure that you will not be liable for import duties plus vat. Another problem is that the battery charger may well not the UK version! (I once inadvertently bought a grey import Canon EOS 40D from a Belfast supplier which arrived with an American battery charger and a cheap adapter to fit UK sockets!)

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
Old 17th November 2013

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies to my original message. Very pleased to report that I am now the owner of a UK-sourced 2nd hand EM-5!! And loving it!
Cheers,
Pete.
Old 1st December 2013

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

Glad to hear it as my recent chat with Oly uk revealed that grey imports do have warranty with them, but only one year, not two.