Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Legacy Lenses

Legacy Lenses Discuss the use of older lenses, using adapters, from the Olympus OM system, Leica M and R-series, and the millions of others too.

Old 12th April 2010

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
OM-fit Clubman 28-135 Help please.

I have this lens, it is a heavy lens, feels nice, looks clean.
I wish to use it on my 4/3rds bodies ... somehow BUT I don't really want to buy an OM-to-4/3rds adapter for just this one maybe-not-useful lens.
It is a Clubman MC Auto Zoom, made in Japan 28-135mm f4-5.5 Macro No.86101966 tiny green "OM" on the aperture ring.
I can't test it yet since it doesn't fit on my 4/3rds for which I have only a pentax-K adapter. I initially thought I was buying a pentax-K-fit lens but this one wasn't.
Now the thing is I reckon with some grindery butchery I can turn it into a pentax-k-ish fit and get it on my cameras.
I'm assuming this is NOT a valuable or rare lens and I wouldn't be committing heresy by attacking it...

Anyone with useful comments?
(Or a CHEAP OM adapter?)
Old 12th April 2010

Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts
Re: OM-fit Clubman 28-135 Help please.

I think that you can safely say that this is not a very good lens. Zooms from the better independant manufacturers are so so but the primes are better (things have moved on a lot with zooms since the 70s!). But Clubmam was a cheapo name anyway if I remember correctly. Personnally I wouldn't bother. Get yourself an equivalent focal length range from Sigma or Tamron, etc from Ebay and don't pay too much! Unfortunately Olympus didn't make a zoom in this range, if I remember correctly.
As for 'adapting' the lens to fit a Pentax adapter well unless you are VERY GOOD at this sort of thing you may end up wrecking it (but I guess no great loss). Buying an OM adapter is the best bet if you REALLY want to try this lens. It may cost you what the Clubman lens is worth anyway but at least you will have it for future OM fit lenses should you wish to investigate these further .
I have two OM lenses, which were cheap (a 50mm and a 135mm) and they look good on the Oly bodies - I wouldn't really bother with anything else (well, maybe a Nikkor!)

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Last edited by benvendetta; 12th April 2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: edit
Old 12th April 2010

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Thanks for replying so soon Dave.
Your opinions are exactly what I "assumed" to be the case ... but I didn't want to butcher some innocent gem.

I'll wait for a couple more go-ahead/it's not worth it - type replies then get the grinders out!! Hur Hur.
I got the lens for (it came with a Ricoh SLR/55mm and a big old fine lens http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=35039550) free, I guess.
Old 12th April 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave is bang on. Clubman were never a topline brand.

I would go for the cheapest adaptor on fleabay (about a tenner) and just have some fun with it. Some people have got acceptable results with some of these budget zooms stopped well down - much, of course, depends on the individual lens sample and what you find acceptable. An advantage of using full frame lenses with a crop sensor is that only the centre of the lens is used to create the image, and the edges - where definition is bound to be worse - are not in the frame. And a bit of soft focus can work wonders for some portraits!

Focussing will be a pain in the a***, I'm afraid. Live view is easiest, unless you have one of the larger viewfinder cameras.

Personally, I wouldn't go down the metalwork route as I'd be paranoid about the possibility of metal dust or swarf getting into my camera, no matter how carefully I cleaned up after wielding the angle grinder