Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 6th April 2010
forester

Mag adverts

I have just got my copy of the “Amateur Photographer” why I buy it I can’t say ? They are doing a comparison between the Canon 550D and the Nikon D90 and guess what , the Canon gets a far better score than the Nikon, is the Canon a better camera you ask?
Or is it because Canon are investing heavily in advertising in the Rag, I mean Mag.
I just hope they don’t review any more Olympus cameras, they did a hatchet job on the micro four thirds the other week comparing the Samsung NX10 and micro four thirds.
The problem is many believe the reviews and then throw money away on the wrong kit.
I'm not saying the Nikon is a good camera or the Canon is rubbish, it is very wrong in my opinion just to play to the advertising money.
Old 6th April 2010
fulhamphil

Re: Mag adverts

Hi Richard, What ever mag you buy they all always seem biased toward canon and nikon. Can't really tell you how good the D90 is because i haven't had chance to give it a proper workout yet, i will let you know when i do.
Old 6th April 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to AlistairJ

This is a game that all of the consumer press play. They do have to make money and if pleasing their advertisers makes the difference between profit and loss, they will have to do it.

Doesn't mean you have to believe everything you read

alistairj.smugmug.com
Old 6th April 2010
forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlistairJ View Post
This is a game that all of the consumer press play. They do have to make money and if pleasing their advertisers makes the difference between profit and loss, they will have to do it.

Doesn't mean you have to believe everything you read
I don't but there are gullible people out there that do believe it, just like the scammers on the internet trying to get your bank details, some do fall for it.
If I buy a magazine I do expect them to be honest in what they print.
Old 6th April 2010

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

I rarely buy it these days Richard, I tend to pick it up for a quick glance at the local supermarket, usually sigh then put back down again.
Even when there is something of interest the chances are I will not spend my pennies because what I like they tend not too

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 6th April 2010
forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
I rarely buy it these days Richard, I tend to pick it up for a quick glance at the local supermarket, usually sigh then put back down again.
Even when there is something of interest the chances are I will not spend my pennies because what I like they tend not too
My other half gets mine, and every week I think I should tell her not to bother to get it then I forget so each week I just hope against hope that they will print something interesting.
Even the retailers adverts are out of date, they have to be in six weeks earlier, Why
Old 6th April 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Although my local W H Smith is still well stocked with hundreds of magazine titles, I wonder how long advertisers will keep spending their budgets on print based media. The trend seems to be towards the web, especially with the current generation having grown up with mobile phones and computers as their main source of info and entertainment - shame really as pixels lack the tactile pleasure of high quality coated stock.

I stopped buying mags a long time ago and confine my reading to moments spent lurking around the newsagent whilst taking cover during heavy rainshowers.

Some years ago I was staff tog on a short lived sailing mag and often helped out with writing articles. There was huge pressure to write 'nice' things about the items manufacturers sent us to review. Perhaps our decision to give honest assessments rather than pander to their views explains why the title was short lived - don't expect unbiased reviews from any mag that carry regular full or half page ads from major manufacturers.

Jerry.
Old 7th April 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This topic seems to come around quite regularly. Perhaps because all journalists are tarred with the red-top tabloid brush, hardly anyone believes their assertions of independence or open-mindedness. Nor do people seem to remember the occasions when AP (and other magazines, for that matter) have been critical of Canikon or damned them with faint praise.

The realities are that far more people buy Canikon than any other brand and most professionals use Canikon for reasons doubtless good to them. It is hardly therefore a surprise there is more media coverage of their products. As far as I can recall (back to the days when almost all professionals used Nikons that could also be used to bang in nails) it has always been the case.

Some aspects of Olympus cameras offer advantages over the competition. Others do not. I think those issues are reflected quite fairly in AP, which does its best to provide objective reviews and tests despite the difficulties inherrent in evaluating different systems, not just different cameras.
Old 7th April 2010
forester

If people don’t believe the advertising why is it that the manufacturers do adverts? If it be up front adds or the “by the back door” ones.
Many are influenced by adverts or they would not be used, just look at the TV adverts, I hate most of them mainly because they are aimed at women’s things and the Insurance adds especially the one with that stupid “Opera”? type , I feel that most of them are an insult to our intelligence, but they do sell, all I can say is there must be lots of impressionable people out there.
Old 7th April 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

Having worked for several photography magazines (including AP's sibling title What Digital Camera) as well as PC magazines like PC Pro, PCW, etc. I can firmly and honestly say I have never been subjected to or sensed any favouritism towards advertisers; it's largely a myth. If you go through the archives of these magazines you will see plenty of evidence that advertisers' products get bad as well as good reviews.

I'm not saying that Olympus always gets a fair review, but it's a completely different debate. I don't for a moment think that AP mark Olympus down because they don't advertise in AP, in fact Olympus has placed several ad campaigns in AP in recent months.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 7th April 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughofBardfield View Post
This topic seems to come around quite regularly. Perhaps because all journalists are tarred with the red-top tabloid brush, hardly anyone believes their assertions of independence or open-mindedness. Nor do people seem to remember the occasions when AP (and other magazines, for that matter) have been critical of Canikon or damned them with faint praise.

The realities are that far more people buy Canikon than any other brand and most professionals use Canikon for reasons doubtless good to them. It is hardly therefore a surprise there is more media coverage of their products. As far as I can recall (back to the days when almost all professionals used Nikons that could also be used to bang in nails) it has always been the case.

Some aspects of Olympus cameras offer advantages over the competition. Others do not. I think those issues are reflected quite fairly in AP, which does its best to provide objective reviews and tests despite the difficulties inherrent in evaluating different systems, not just different cameras.
Canon used to be the natureal pro choice, but in fact I'd say that there are more Nikon pros at the moment than Canon ones, especially in certain categories. I thought Nikon was on the verge of going bust a few years ago because nothing they produced seemed to be any good and Canon was killing them in the pro arena. But Nikon got their act together and Canon became complacent. Now the tables are turned and Nikon camera sales, especially DSLRs, are right up there with Canon.

I know the AP editorial team personally and while we don't always agree on things, I firmly believe they are being truthful to their views.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 7th April 2010
forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I know the AP editorial team personally and while we don't always agree on things, I firmly believe they are being truthful to their views.

Ian
This is the thing "their views". they should make it plainer with the “review in question” it was nothing to do with Olympus, it was the Canon550D and the Nikon D90,
They did add at the end of the review , after the scores that the Nikon would be better for wildlife or sport photography, this was after giving the Canon a glowing review with much higher scores.
regards richard
Old 7th April 2010

Liked 135 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forester View Post
... Insurance adds especially the one with that stupid “Opera”? type
If I hear 'Go Compare' one more time I think I'll commit Hari Kari, honestly.

The Go Compare people have ensured that I will NEVER visit their bloody website...
Old 7th April 2010

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekHog View Post
The Go Compare people have ensured that I will NEVER visit their bloody website...
Join the club
That has to be the most irritating advert for some while

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 8th April 2010

Liked 1,343 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Join the club
That has to be the most irritating advert for some while
Absolutely!

Equally (if we must have adverts) I think the Meerkat campaign is spot on

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.