Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 3rd February 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which OM Body ?

I would like to buy a film camera to get some nice B&W stuff. I would like to get an Olympus so I could also use the lenses on my E-3, my only problem is I know nothing about the OM line-up, so am looking for some advice as to which body I should try & pick up.......I assume the newer the better? are there any common faults to watch out for when buying one? I would be very grateful for any advice.
Old 3rd February 2010
Xpres

Re: Which OM Body ?

I have a spare OM1 or OM2 I could sell you if you're interested. Working fine and I'll replace the light seals which is one of the things your likely to have to do if you get one from auction. If you have an OM in your hands the run a 36 exp film through it in one go - right to the end - to make sure the winder is working correctly. If faulty you'll find it get's stiffer and stiffer.
OM1 & OM3 (expensive) are manual and will work without batteries apart from the meter. OM2 and 4 need batteries.
OM10 is SOOOO! cheap it's worth getting one for fun - if you get a good one they're very good.
I'm sure others will chip in with lots more tips....

BTW - you know you can use almost any slr lens on your E3 with the appropriate adapter, and you'll still need an adapter for the OM lenses.

Last edited by Xpres; 3rd February 2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Afterthought
Old 3rd February 2010

Thanked 1,156 Times in 1,031 Posts
Liked 1,236 Times in 805 Posts

Article on Olympus OM1 in the Amateur Photographer dated Saturday January30th 2010 might be of some help.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 3rd February 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I have just sent you a pm which I hope will be of interest.

Cheers

Chris
Old 3rd February 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainD View Post
Hi,

I have just sent you a pm which I hope will be of interest.

Cheers

Chris
Thank you Chris, I have tried to send you a pm back, but it won`t let me. I don`t know if it`s because I am new to the forum, or your folder is full, anyhow I would gratefully accept your very kind offer. My email is: prophotographer25@googlemail.com
Old 3rd February 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am pleased to report that I did get your pm, you should have an email from me in your inbox.

Cheers

Chris
Old 3rd February 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainD View Post
I am pleased to report that I did get your pm, you should have an email from me in your inbox.

Cheers

Chris
Yes, I have got it thank you Chris
Old 4th February 2010

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I would suggest considering either the OM1n or OM4Ti. My OM1n is still going strong after 28 years of use, so I think I can vouch for it's reliability. It is a wonderful 'back to basics' type camera that is a real joy to use. It is also still servicable, although not by Olympus. I use John Hermansson at Camtech in the USA. He is very experienced and used to work for Olympus. Before purchasing, look out for degraded foam in the film back seals and mirror box. If it has not already been done, it will almost certainly need replacing. Some OM1's also had foam somewhere in the prism housing, which eats into the prism silvering when deteriorating. This would be visible when looking through the viewfinder. Be aware also that this model uses the long discontinued 1.35v mercury cells. There are replacements and conversion kits available.

The OM4Ti is more expensive that the 1n, but you get a superb metering system that is fun to use and offers incredible exposure control once mastered. This is another very reliable camera. I have used a couple of them since the early 1990's and they never let me down. Other than the possible of replacing the foam in early models as mentioned above (except in the prism), the camera is built to last. This model, along with the OM3Ti, was the last to be discontinued (2002/2003), so there are newish ones around. The champagne colored ones are the oldest - I think they were on the market from 1987-1990. They were replaced with the black version until discontinuation.

If you have got a lot of money to throw around, the OM3Ti is (IMHO) the pinnacle of Olympus' OM system. It is similar to the OM3, but has titanium top and bottom plates (similar to the 4Ti), support for the F280 flashgun, and more reliable circuits. Oh, and it looks gorgeous too! It has become a rare beast on the used market.

The other single digit models are good too; However, be aware that replacement circuits are no longer available for the OM2SP and OM4's can be a little battery hungry.

Choices, choices...I hope this helps.

Cheers, Steve.

Last edited by Steve Lane; 4th February 2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: revised reply
Old 4th February 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

I did lust after a black OM-2sp for a long time, but never got around to buying one (this was when they were new). OM4s were simply out of my price range. Eventually it became clear that the OM system was going out of date as there was no AF roadmap. My sister did get an OM-101, which was manual focus but focus was controlled by a thumb wheel. I think she still has it somewhere. Then there was the OM-707, which had AF, but by many accounts wasn't very good... the OM-30 could autofocus but with only one lens!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 4th February 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Once again thank you all for your reply`s, you have given me lots to think about.