Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 15th September 2017

Liked 122 Times in 53 Posts
Time to say goodbye ?

For the last 3 years, i've been an Olympus shooter starting off with the E-M10 + 14-42 and then progressing to the E-M1 after a few months, along with a few nice lenses.

Since I've been using m43, my kids have grown up and their interests changed so my youngest is now into BMX racing...meaning many "enjoyable" trips to the track and various skateparks round the country. His new hobbies have lead to me finding weaknesses in the E-M1 AF increasingly annoying. In order to give him some payback, we go drag racing a few times a year. This has also shown up some weaknesses, notably the EVF blackout / lag and poor battery life.

Last weekend, i decided to try the e-m1 mk2 and my 40-150 pro against the D500 + 70-200 at drag racing. The Nikon was VERY nose-heavy compared to the m43 set up ( the 70-200 2.8 weighs 1.5kg ) but the bodies felt similarly weighted. The lenses were very different in weight. Battery life was similar, maybe the Oly just ahead. High ( ie 10000 ) ISO was also similar, the Nikon files being easier to clean up in post..

So...the photos and the focusing. The S-AF and C-AF on the mk2 is much improved with little hesitancy but the EVF still bugged me - it would lag on the last shot ( i'm not talking blackout ), meaning that the cars had gone by the time the lag cleared. Also, the Nikon retains more detail as you'd expect from the larger sensor.

This leaves me with a dilemma. Yes, the mk2 is a great improvement over the mk1 but i don't see any real difference in IQ. It is a very familiar system and i like the size ( + lens sizes / weight ), i like the tech, the touchscreen, the IBIS. The things i hated about the battery and high ISO are pretty much resolved from my test.

BUT i am still drawn to the Nikon - the OVF and focusing is just more suited for me for motorsport and BMX. The cost is also much less..

No decision made yet as I'm always scared about making the wrong choice...but it may be adios from me over the winter
Old 15th September 2017

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Re: Time to say goodbye ?

That's quite thought-provoking. I feel that Oly had got it right price-wise when I bought my M5, but since then, the prices have been hiked a lot, and if you want decent AF for moving subjects, you are forced to look seriously at their most expensive body. With the M1 MkII now close to 2 grand, that would be well out of reach for me, but also i don't think it justifiable for what it offers compared to DSLRs.

I feel they need to do two things:
1) put phase AF on at least the M5 as well as the M1.
2) whilst the Pro lenses are superb,they are as heavy as Canon's EF lenses, as pricey as Canon's L series, and I find that hard to justify. They need to think again about their pricing policy.

I said elsewhere, with the price increase on the M10 MkIII, if they go the same route on the M5 as a MkIII and the M1 as a MkIII, they re in danger of killing the goose that's been laying the golden eggs. The point as well is that you can buy a lot of very good Canon and Nikon DSLR kit for not a lot of money, and that may well prove to be the killer.
Old 15th September 2017

Liked 1,655 Times in 817 Posts

I came the other way from a Nikon D810 plus lenses to E-M5II and then to E-M1II.
I dont regret it one bit for the kind of shooting I do. I found myself not taking the Nikon gear out with me due to the weight and size issues.

If Nikon meets your needs then only you can decide which is best. If you don't need more than 200mm then thats fine but if you want to go to say 300mm or even higher then the weight and cost issue really starts to bite.

Whatever you decide enjoy taking the shots.

My Flickr
Old 15th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
I came the other way from a Nikon D810 plus lenses to E-M5II and then to E-M1II.
I dont regret it one bit for the kind of shooting I do. I found myself not taking the Nikon gear out with me due to the weight and size issues.

If Nikon meets your needs then only you can decide which is best. If you don't need more than 200mm then thats fine but if you want to go to say 300mm or even higher then the weight and cost issue really starts to bite.

Whatever you decide enjoy taking the shots.
That's exactly why I sold my Canon and bought the Oly - old age galloping on. I think my comments are valid though. I could pick up a 50D from LCE for under 200 plus say 250-300 for a decent Canon zoom (18-200, say) and I would have a better kit than my M5. Only issue would be weight.
Old 15th September 2017

its part of my dilemma too - i came to m43 from Nikon and the reason i changed was due to weight. I had 2 bags of gear ( due to the size i guess ) and often found that i had the wrong one with me

My longest lens currently is the 40-150 pro + TC and i don't need anything longer. But sometimes i like something wider and then i look at my 9-18 and think " wow a Sigma 10-20 will be biiggg"

Gaahhh - bloomin' cameras
The Following User Liked This Post:
Greytop (15th September 2017)
Old 15th September 2017

I'm thinking to myself, reading this, perhaps I should get my Minox out again.... I've even got a right-angle finder for it. And the James Bond glasses.....
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (16th September 2017)
Old 15th September 2017

Liked 2,533 Times in 1,661 Posts

Our son defected to a D750, so I took the opportunity to upgrade from my E-M5 to his nearly new E-M1 Mk 1.

The EM1 suits me perfectly in terms of size and function, but I agree with you about the EVF and motorsport.

I have used the Nikon a few times now and it is a stunning camera, but also very big and heavy - and much too big and heavy for my liking!

If am going to use a camera of that size and weight it just has to be medium format film, with a proper waist level finder.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 15th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Our son defected to a D750, so I took the opportunity to upgrade from my E-M5 to his nearly new E-M1 Mk 1.

The EM1 suits me perfectly in terms of size and function, but I agree with you about the EVF and motorsport.

I have used the Nikon a few times now and it is a stunning camera, but also very big and heavy - and much too big and heavy for my liking!

If am going to use a camera of that size and weight it just has to be medium format film, with a proper waist level finder.
I've used my M5 for aviation shots, but the AF is very dependent on good light for locking onto a fast moving plane. I am a bit puzzled as to why Oly opted for contrast AF in this day and age.

The D750 is a good camera. But I'd probably opt for a 700D Canon and 18-200 (giving 24-320); that would be adequate for most of what I do, especially as I still have a 1.5x converter. The 700D isn't much heavier than the M5, and the 18-200 is quite a good lens. LCE have both for a total 500 s/hand. I would have to pay that much for a s/h M1 MkI body only. I have had pangs of regret for flogging my Canon kit lately.
The Following User Says Thank You to KeithL For This Useful Post:
RogerRamjet (16th September 2017)
Old 15th September 2017

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
I've used my M5 for aviation shots, but the AF is very dependent on good light for locking onto a fast moving plane. I am a bit puzzled as to why Oly opted for contrast AF in this day and age.

The D750 is a good camera. But I'd probably opt for a 700D Canon and 18-200 (giving 24-320); that would be adequate for most of what I do, especially as I still have a 1.5x converter. The 700D isn't much heavier than the M5, and the 18-200 is quite a good lens. LCE have both for a total 500 s/hand. I would have to pay that much for a s/h M1 MkI body only. I have had pangs of regret for flogging my Canon kit lately.
You should be able to pick up a 2nd hand E-M1 MkI for around 350 now.

For another 200 you should then be able to pick up the Panasonic 14-45 and the Olympus 40-150 kit zooms. This would probably give you better IQ and a better handling camera than the Canon 700D + 18-200 lens.

I use mainly Olympus now but still have a Canon 5DIII + various lenses. I prefer the E-M1 for action shots in half-decent light.
Old 15th September 2017

Liked 63 Times in 38 Posts

You probably need a DSLR for your shooting (having watched and read the tribulations for a looong time) but you probably don't need the D500, anything this side of a D7000 would do what you need and save a lot of beans.

Pair that with the 70-200 f/4 and jobs a goodun (the f/2.8 would be too big for me).
Old 15th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebus View Post
You should be able to pick up a 2nd hand E-M1 MkI for around 350 now.

For another 200 you should then be able to pick up the Panasonic 14-45 and the Olympus 40-150 kit zooms. This would probably give you better IQ and a better handling camera than the Canon 700D + 18-200 lens.

I use mainly Olympus now but still have a Canon 5DIII + various lenses. I prefer the E-M1 for action shots in half-decent light.
I already have the 12-40 Pro and various other primes and zooms by Oly. From what I see, an M1 MkI body is around 450-500 if it's in good condition. I didn't particularly like the Canon 600D, but it's a competent performer, and, I think, better for action shots than the M5 MkI. I had a lot of good results with the 18-200 and a 50D; it was just too heavy, especially with the 100-400L in my bag.

But I'm not really planning to change now. I don't get much chance for photography lately, so changing wouldn't be cost-effective.
Old 15th September 2017

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
I already have the 12-40 Pro and various other primes and zooms by Oly. From what I see, an M1 MkI body is around 450-500 if it's in good condition.
I guess we're a bit off topic (apologies Damian) but mine went for 410.00 including RMSD on here and it was a mint example. I think it depends where and how long you look

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 16th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawty View Post
You probably need a DSLR for your shooting (having watched and read the tribulations for a looong time) but you probably don't need the D500, anything this side of a D7000 would do what you need and save a lot of beans.

Pair that with the 70-200 f/4 and jobs a goodun (the f/2.8 would be too big for me).
You could be right, Ned - I used to have a d7000 3 years ago and it was fine so maybe the d500 is one step too far but I'm trying to make sure that I buy the right camera. The f2.8 is also too heavy for me...and I don't need 2.8 either really
Old 16th September 2017

Liked 752 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
That's quite thought-provoking. I feel that Oly had got it right price-wise when I bought my M5, but since then, the prices have been hiked a lot, and if you want decent AF for moving subjects, you are forced to look seriously at their most expensive body. With the M1 MkII now close to 2 grand, that would be well out of reach for me, but also i don't think it justifiable for what it offers compared to DSLRs.

I feel they need to do two things:
1) put phase AF on at least the M5 as well as the M1.
2) whilst the Pro lenses are superb,they are as heavy as Canon's EF lenses, as pricey as Canon's L series, and I find that hard to justify. They need to think again about their pricing policy.

I said elsewhere, with the price increase on the M10 MkIII, if they go the same route on the M5 as a MkIII and the M1 as a MkIII, they re in danger of killing the goose that's been laying the golden eggs. The point as well is that you can buy a lot of very good Canon and Nikon DSLR kit for not a lot of money, and that may well prove to be the killer.
It is getting time Olympus included PDAF as standard, and not just reserve it for the flagship model. This is the direction Sony has gone, and it makes their cameras more competitive and versatile. The message I get from this type of thread is don't buy Olympus for high speed sports unless you're going to fork out for an E-M1.

Incidentally, when you factor in decent zooms, even full frame mirrorless is huge (and frightfully expensive) compared to any comparable Olympus kit.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Cerebus (16th September 2017), KeithL (16th September 2017)
Old 16th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
I guess we're a bit off topic (apologies Damian) but mine went for 410.00 including RMSD on here and it was a mint example. I think it depends where and how long you look
RMSD?

Selling price on the forum doesn't reflect the selling price out there, or indeed the buying-in price. I'm quoting LCE selling price, as a rough average.

And, as Cerebus says, "I prefer the E-M1 for action shots in half-decent light." That echoes what I said about my M5. Once the light falls off, it starts to hunt for something to focus on, even on high-contrast subjects. Add 'fast-moving', and the limitations are all too clear (or not, as the case may be!)