Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 10th May 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E-M5 shutter stuck

So my beloved E-M5 just stopped working. In 2015 the shutter started doing the thing where fast shutter speeds weren't timing properly so Olympus fitted a new shutter. 2 years later and 10k shots and the camera won't turn on and the shutter is stuck closed. I have tried tapping it - nothing. Tried cleaning the contacts - nothing.

The weird thing is the screen is dead toounless the battery runs out in which case the usual batter red flashing sign comes up. It's very weird.

The only other thing is if you hold ok down the af assist light flashes.

Has anyone else experienced this - I am guessing Olympus won't warranty it as they did the new shutter in 2015 although 2 years and 10k shots seems pretty poor to me!
Old 10th May 2017

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Re: E-M5 shutter stuck

Sorry to hear this.

The technical term for this, it's Fuuked. Trip to Portugal will make it happier, I'm sure.

on flickr
Old 10th May 2017

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: E-M5 shutter stuck

Contact Olympus support anyway and explain the situation; they may fix it as a goodwill gesture.