Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 6th January 2016

Liked 465 Times in 222 Posts
Info required...

Some of you may recall I posted a discussion on here probably in 2014 regarding an event I was trying to get off the ground over in Suffolk. Well things move on and we are now a charitable organisation with a brief for the local community and local schools.

Basically we are preparing an event for 2017 (probably June) when the former RAF station of Martlesham Heath will be staging an event to celebrate 100years since it opened. We have a good committee and some sound proposals.

Unfortunately the biggest problem we have had is a limited contact with the RAF. We have had 2 people come and join in (both retired) then they promptly left and another from RAFA who has just disappeared without trace (he actually wanted to help with many things), but now I have drawn a blank, and we need RAF input.

I also remember that another forum member spoke about Boscombe Down as it was to Boscombe Down where the experimental side of Martlesham went prior to WW2. So any ideas or suggestions.....this is completely free of all phototalk for a change!! But of course this event would be a great opportunity to take some pictures...

Cheers

Peter
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
The Following User Liked This Post:
Minniesmum (6th January 2016)
Old 6th January 2016

Liked 133 Times in 96 Posts
Re: Info required...

I'm afraid I can't really help (I assume you've already tried the likes of Duxford & the USAF at Mildenhall)
If you manage to get it going I'd be keen on dragging the Family along for the event. Please keep us posted!

For many years Martlesham was my nearest active airbase, as a teenager I often saw Phantoms that were based there.
Old 6th January 2016

Liked 2,512 Times in 1,645 Posts

I cannot help myself but I am sure the RAF has a press and publicity office somewhere to help promote its activities to the outside world. Maybe they can help, or at least navigate you in the right direction.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 6th January 2016

Liked 195 Times in 130 Posts

It might be worth giving the Airfield Research Group a try. They have a section on Martlesham Heath.
They've just relaunched the website, so I've not had chance to re-evaluate it for a while, but a genuine bunch of folks from what I can gather.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!