Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 1st December 2015

Liked 383 Times in 146 Posts
Arrgh - latest Photoshop CC update

Dammit, they've done it again. Messed with the product interface.

The latest update to PS CC opens up with whole different interface, which I didn't like the look of at all ... probably dumbed down to something for new users, a la Lightroom. Definitely a "WTF?!?" moment.

Anyway, like Lightroom, I went straight into Preferences / General, and found that you can uncheck the options to "Show" a couple of new views which open by default "if no document is open". Once unchecked, restart it, and your old interface is restored. All is again well.

Why do they DO this?

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MargaretR For This Useful Post:
OM USer (2nd December 2015), Wee man (2nd December 2015)
Old 2nd December 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Arrgh - latest Photoshop CC update

Thank you Margaret. I thought I'd downloaded a different programme. It does make you wonder why they should so such things without warning!
Chris.
Old 2nd December 2015

Liked 753 Times in 499 Posts

What level is it, Margaret? I did a brand new install a couple of weeks ago and didn't have any more faffing than usual to get it back to the nice simple screens that I like. This is at 2015.0.1.

John
Old 2nd December 2015

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

Don't start me on Adobe Reader. The latest "DC" update has yet another totally new interface, and with every version the whole thing gets more bloated and less user-friendly, and has yet more "features" I neither want nor need. Adobe seem hell-bent on annoying their users!
Old 2nd December 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Folks, My Photoshop updated last night and it was a faf to get it back to normal. This update did not cure the slow start in Photoshop - perhaps next time! I hate the constant update business and often wonder whether the software was written properly in the first place! (Not just Photoshop!)

I have not looked at Lightroom as I don't use it. Having used Oly Viewer for downloading the M10 and M1 images I go to Adobe Bridge then on into Photoshop via camera RAW. Hate to admit it but I find that ACR is better than Paintshop or After the Shot with difficult highlights on RAW images.

So will have to put up with the annoying updates for now!

Keep smiling!
John.
Old 2nd December 2015

Liked 2,842 Times in 968 Posts

I use LR all of the time now and only go PS now and again but evry time I open either it takes a long time PS always asks if I want to start a free trial ARRRRGGGGHHH
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 2nd December 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
What level is it, Margaret? I did a brand new install a couple of weeks ago and didn't have any more faffing than usual to get it back to the nice simple screens that I like. This is at 2015.0.1.

John
This has a new splash screen when it fires up. "About Photoshop" now says 2015.1 release, also 20151114.r.301 x64

Don't ask me what any of that means!

And don't get me started on Adobe Acrobat either .... I had a full version installed (obtained cheap while I was an OU student), and when I recently cloned my old Mac over to a new Mac, I had to download Adobe CC progs again. My stand-alone Acrobat was overwritten by a new CC version, which I now can't use, because I have no intention of paying 13 a month just to subscribe to a PDF program! But since I have not subscribed, it won't work, so I've now had to install Acrobat reader, forego the capability to edit any PDFs, and figure out why I can't even launch Reader DC unless I'm logged into the cloud! I DON'T WANT MY STUFF ON THE CLOUD. I just want to open PDFs without "using the internet". Why is that too much to ask...

I could try to reinstall my old full Acrobat stand-alone version, but of course, my new Mac doesn't have a disc drive....

Old 2nd December 2015

Oh dear, thanks for the warning.

John
Old 3rd December 2015

Liked 556 Times in 269 Posts

i still haven't bothered ----- been game to get LR6/CC. The kids give it to me (the $) last year and I ended up getting a stupid dumb-phone instead. I use adobe's free cs2 and PSE12 occasionally; ICE for panos and Nik for hdr and some special effects. Not sure I need anything else at the moment however some of the LR6 upgraded tools would be nice. I have no needs that I can think of for PS CC

Sometime I feel they are getting to a point of no sensible upgrades needed so they do something dumb hoping we feel they are improving the product
Old 3rd December 2015

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbranch View Post
I use LR all of the time now and only go PS now and again but every time I open either it takes a long time PS always asks if I want to start a free trial ARRRRGGGGHHH
Alf, I don't know what OS you use, but permissions may be stopping PS recording whatever it has to in order to stop this happening every time. I've had that a few times on various bits of software. If it is that, then you need to run PS once in "Administrator Mode", or equivalent.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 3rd December 2015

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

Margaret: Adobe Reader DC can open pdfs without using the cloud, but you can't do anything other than read them without payment, so you're effectively buying the full Acrobat but on a subscription basis rather than a one-off payment. Adobe Reader XI is still available for download.
Old 3rd December 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Margaret: Adobe Reader DC can open pdfs without using the cloud, but you can't do anything other than read them without payment, so you're effectively buying the full Acrobat but on a subscription basis rather than a one-off payment. Adobe Reader XI is still available for download.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

Old 3rd December 2015

Liked 543 Times in 381 Posts

I understand you are using a Mac, the Preview app is a very versatile PDF viewer and an annotator also there is a range of PDF editors listed at

http://download.cnet.com/s/pdf-edit/
Old 4th December 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
I understand you are using a Mac, the Preview app is a very versatile PDF viewer and an annotator also there is a range of PDF editors listed at

http://download.cnet.com/s/pdf-edit/
Thanks Derek. I managed to borrow a disc drive, and have reinstalled Acrobat Pro X from disc, and AppZapped Acrobat DC out of existence. Problem solved!

But it should never have been a problem in the first place. Thanks Adobe!

Old 4th December 2015

Thanks Margaret for the Photoshop warning. I've just updated it (only took two attempts) and was greeted with the new "Start" screen. Thanks to your warning it was easy to just switch to "Photography" in the pulldown menu.

As for Acrobat, this new machine has "Acrobat Reader DC" installed and it appears to be behaving itself fine.

John