Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 10th November 2015

Liked 129 Times in 69 Posts
Breasts

I have a painful lump in my Moob and went to see the Doctor about it.

The Doctor referred me to the Breast Care Clinic and I was seen about ten days later, which seems to be quite good. Upon arrival, the receptionist found my initials and surname on a list of patients and I noticed that I was one of two entries that had been yellow highlighted on a long list of names.

In the waiting room I was the sole male patient, spared the indignity of having to wear an easy access robe and carry my clothes in a plastic shopping basket. A nice male Doctor saw me and asked if it was OK for the young, asian female student to participate. She looked a little non-plussed at the prospect but didn't appear to have any choice in the matter. After examining me he asked if it was OK for her to do so and, while she examined my chest he started to talk about what he thought the problem was.

He was going to send me for an ultrasound (OK); this was probably only some breast tissue that had become active, not cancer (check); it happens to young boys and old men sometimes (thanks) and it is sometimes an indicator for other cancers, such as testicular cancer (eek). Did I check myself and would I like to be shown how? (eek again).

Now at this last offer, the young student who had up till then been pummelling and kneading me like she didn't have a pair of her own momentarily froze and her mouth turned down ever so slightly at the corners, while his turned ever so slightly upwards. Do senior staff habitually wind up their student colleagues?

Luckily for me, the only treatment required is paracetamol.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (10th November 2015), Kiwi Paul (10th November 2015), Naughty Nigel (10th November 2015), Zuiko (10th November 2015)
Old 10th November 2015

Liked 115 Times in 69 Posts
Re: Breasts

Brilliant!

Knowing a number of junior doctors this sort of thing seems to happen all the time - often there is some comfortableness followed by smirking and full on laughter!
Old 10th November 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,182 Times in 2,486 Posts
Liked 4,535 Times in 2,157 Posts

Thank goodness it had a good outcome and was not anything serious. It must be good experience for junior doctors when they get a patient outside the norm.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 10th November 2015

Liked 2,522 Times in 1,654 Posts

Likewise I am pleased to hear that George's condition was not serious.

However, I think this kind of behaviour is fairly commonplace amongst professionals in all fields; just as I remember new starters being told to the lab stores for some benzene rings, or asking Karl Fischer to do a moisture determination for them.

(I, for my sins, had the job of calibrating Karl Fischer every Monday morning!)

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 10th November 2015

Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts

George - glad it's nothing serious. I'm sure consultants and senior doctors wind the juniors up all the time.

Naught Nigel - a Karl Fischer auto titrator, been a while since I use one of them, or even though of one. I had to re-calibrate for each new Winchester of ether I used.

E-620, 12-40 , 40-150 f4-5.6,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68406149@N08/
Old 10th November 2015

Liked 2,522 Times in 1,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyjward View Post
George - glad it's nothing serious. I'm sure consultants and senior doctors wind the juniors up all the time.

Naught Nigel - a Karl Fischer auto titrator, been a while since I use one of them, or even though of one. I had to re-calibrate for each new Winchester of ether I used.
Yes; it was a rather niffy job if I remember!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing