Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 24th July 2015

Liked 584 Times in 260 Posts
Internal or external drive for Lightroom

A question.

When I used Aperture on my MacBook the answer was simple, the internal drive was too small for my photo library so it lived on a portable drive then I could switch to the iMac.

Since upgrading the iMac last year I've been working on this most of the time and now use Lightroom as part of the Adobe CC.

When switching to Lightroom I used the iMac internal hard drive but it's not as convenient when travelling and has taken me a while on my return to tidy it up. I know Lightroom can use multiple locations but I want all my photos in one place.

I always do regular back ups so travelling with the entire library on a portable drive wouldn't be a major risk.

I wondered what was the preferred option by others and your thoughts on the pros and cons.

Amanda
Old 24th July 2015

Liked 543 Times in 381 Posts
Re: Internal or external drive for Lightroom

Take a look at some of the Julieanne Kost Lightroom videos on uTube , on at least of one of them she deals with using a laptop and a main machine back home.
see
http://www.jkost.com/lightroom2.html
The video called "How to Use Lightroom on Location" might give you a few tricks, it is where I am starting from.

I am still revising my way of operating have moved from Aperture 4 months ago.
Mrs T (25th July 2015)
Old 25th July 2015

Thank you DerekW.

I'll have a look at those. It's not 100 straightforward is it?

I'm almost caught up from the holiday after being back for almost a month!

Amanda
Old 25th July 2015

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

Although I only use a Mac when it's raining, Amanda, I have always used LR with the images on an external HD (and the catalogue, now, on the internal HD). With backup of everything to a further external HD.

I originally used a USB HD, but the downside to that is the speed of access, especially if catalogues is there too. I switched the catalogue to the internal HD, and then retired the USB HD in favour of an eSATA enclosure connected to motherboard on my PC. That too has a downside, in that I no longer have the ability to take the external HD (images and catalogue) away with me, using a notebook for any updates on the go - but that benefit has vapourised anyway, given the hardware demands of the latest LR (64 bit processor) on the one hand, and on the other hand LR Mobile on an iPad.

Can't say how much this is applicable to your Mac, but I guess the principles apply anyway.

Piers

Last edited by gphemy; 25th July 2015 at 01:40 PM. Reason: typo
The Following User Says Thank You to gphemy For This Useful Post:
Mrs T (25th July 2015)
Old 25th July 2015

Thanks Piers, that is helpful. I'm thinking the external drive is the best option. Is there a speed advantage to keeping the catalogue on the internal drive?

Amanda
Old 26th July 2015

Liked 556 Times in 269 Posts

most 'experts' would say to do editing on the internal drive as it should be faster and maybe safer. So have the catalog, and a folder for new files on the internal drive and move the files after editing to the external drive. Touch up editing could be done with the file on the external drive

I have the catalog on the eternal, new files on the internal, edited stuff on external. well that's the plan but like most I don't follow the "rules" to the letter
the ASUS lappy has 8gb internal; 1/2 for programs and 1/2 for photos. Not using a full frame camera or photoshop too often means the file sizes are now much smaller. A couple of programs spit out the big tiffs and I often reduce them to PSD or even jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to IanB For This Useful Post:
Mrs T (26th July 2015)
Old 26th July 2015

Hi IanB,

Thanks, that sounds like a good solution. It does seem like I need to move the files to an external drive.
Old 26th July 2015

Liked 556 Times in 269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs T View Post
Hi IanB,

Thanks, that sounds like a good solution. It does seem like I need to move the files to an external drive.
either that or stop taking so many photos

I read recently that if we leave sorting/deleting photos for a week or so, or even longer we will delete more photos because there will be less sentimental attachment to the photos. I finding that very true and IMO the best filing key in LR is the "x". Don't know about others but I think its crazy the number of photos we take [just to be sure] and even crazier the number of photos we keep [just in case]
Old 27th July 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs T View Post
Thanks Piers, that is helpful. I'm thinking the external drive is the best option. Is there a speed advantage to keeping the catalogue on the internal drive?

Amanda
There is a speed advantage using internal drives, if your external drives are USB. But the size of the catalogue, and the data drawn from it, are such that you might not notice the advantage. But the size of the image files means that you would notice the advantage (more specifically, I did notice the disadvantage of the USB drive!).

On the other hand, if you were to use eSATA drives, you could have the speed benefit of internal drives (max. 3Gb/s against 400Mb/s) with the flexibility of external drives, although I suspect that Mac has gone one better than eSATA by now.

I recommend not to use USB external drives for your images, you will find the speed disadvantage frustrating, at least. Especially if you have previously used internal drives.

Piers
The Following User Says Thank You to gphemy For This Useful Post:
Mrs T (30th July 2015)
Old 29th July 2015

Liked 1,328 Times in 625 Posts

I have recently switched to using a fast laptop as my tower system died.

With the tower I did all my initial processing and stored the processed images on an internal hard drive with external backups.

With the Laptop I do everything on external drives using a USB 3 linked hdd for my active store / processing and a separate back-up hdd via USB 2

Maybe its the fact that I'm using 16 gb RAM + and I7 cpu but I see no additional delays when carrying out quite extensive post processing (the previous tower was I5 + 12 gb
The Following User Says Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
Mrs T (30th July 2015)
Old 29th July 2015

Not just the memory, which surely would impact the processing, but USB3 which would impact loading and saving (though I suspect not the processing).

An enviable system!

Piers
Old 29th July 2015

Liked 1,328 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphemy View Post
Not just the memory, which surely would impact the processing, but USB3 which would impact loading and saving (though I suspect not the processing).

An enviable system!

Piers

needs must Piers but it was surprisingly well priced (a Lenovo 17" jobbie) from John Lewis (after Currys screwed things up)

I'm using a 2Tb Seagate portable drive for my main drive via USB 3 and a larger format 3Tb Western Digital drive on the USB 2 connection (I also have the 1Tb bare drive with all my working image files from the defunct tower connected via a USB caddy) so have access to about 3 years worth of processed images direct from my LR / CS cloud version, makes life very easy
Old 30th July 2015

Thanks Piers and Brian.