Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 12th May 2015

Liked 750 Times in 498 Posts
Lightroom and Photoshop on subscription?

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and going for an Adobe Creative Cloud photographer's subscription - Lightroom and Photoshop for about £8.50 a month. I can see the potential advantages, and the big potential stitch-up that Adobe could massively increase the price once they have critical mass.

I can evaluate hose things. I know there are several users on here so I am interested to know from your experience if there are other potential pitfalls or bonuses. For example - I want to give LR a try on my (Android) tablet - how is it? Does it have nasty habits like suddenly downloading several megs of data, which could be very awkward out in the field with a ropey (and, if abroad, expensive) mobile connection?

All advice gratefully received.

John
Old 12th May 2015

Liked 878 Times in 245 Posts
Re: Lightroom and Photoshop on subscription?

I might be wrong but I think the Mobile Lightroom only works on certain sized screens, at least it did when I tried it and received the message that my Nexus 7 was not compatible. This may well have changed as that was a good while back?
I am also thinking of taking the plunge with CC subscription as my E-M5 mark II will be delivered today so I will watch this thread with interest.

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
Old 12th May 2015

Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,466 Posts
Liked 1,457 Times in 931 Posts

Perhaps more worrying, will it work when there is no connection... and for how long before it needs to hook up and confirm you are who you say you are before letting you continue to run the software?
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
The Following User Liked This Post:
Iansky (12th May 2015)
Old 12th May 2015

Liked 292 Times in 150 Posts

It is a great deal and as it downloads both Lightroom & Photoshop to your PC it will work when you lose connection, when connection is re-obtained it will check your licence is still current.

You have all the latest updates as and when they happen and having come to this from CS6 I certainly see a positive difference in processing to include speed.

When you weigh the cost of the software versus this way (which I believe is now the only option) it is a good deal - we also use this as our primary editing software at work for all things graphic.

For me it is a slick, quick reliable solution to high quality image editing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iansky For This Useful Post:
Bikie John (12th May 2015)
Old 12th May 2015

Liked 181 Times in 99 Posts

Had my subscription since it first came out & happy with it. I do like the new features in LR CC the HDR producing a 32 bit DNG is magic & I tried the pano last night impressed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter_Hartland For This Useful Post:
Bikie John (12th May 2015)
Iansky (12th May 2015)
Old 12th May 2015

Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
and for how long before it needs to hook up and confirm you are who you say you are before letting you continue to run the software?
For monthly subscribers 30 days annual 99 days.

Flickr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adagio For This Useful Post:
Bikie John (12th May 2015), OM USer (12th May 2015)
Old 12th May 2015

Liked 308 Times in 195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainMacD View Post
as my E-M5 mark II will be delivered today so I will watch this thread with interest.
Ah-Ha... so you have succumbed to the 'little beauty' too Iain

Have you kept your E5 or made a complete switch?

Kind regards, Simon
Old 12th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
Ah-Ha... so you have succumbed to the 'little beauty' too Iain

Have you kept your E5 or made a complete switch?

Kind regards, Simon
I have made a complete switch Simon and having inserted a fully charged battery an hour or so ago I am very happy with my choice. I also went for the 12-40mm and am very impressed with that too.
Happy bunny

Website
Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to IainMacD For This Useful Post:
Simon Bee (13th May 2015)
Simon Bee (13th May 2015)
Old 13th May 2015

Thanked 1,446 Times in 1,335 Posts
Liked 2,435 Times in 1,153 Posts

As for CC PS & LR I took a subscription out a year ago and it's now just lapsed. Oddly enough Adobe reminded me too late and the subscription lapsed? Anyway I've hardly used it since I got it so just haven't bothered to renew it. If they had asked me earlier I'd probably have renewed as it's pretty cheap but as it is I can't be bothered. Maybe I'll try again when I retire and have more time. Mind you from what Ian said earlier perhaps it still works if it downloads so maybe I still have it for free
Old 13th May 2015
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

I echo those who regard the Adobe photographers deal as a good one.

I used to keep up to date with LR each year, if you changed your camera you often had to to get RAW support in ACR, and that alone costs almost as much as I spend per year for LR and PS which are updated fairly often under the deal. I use both extensively so for me it is a complete no brainer but clearly this is a personal choice.

It is interesting that the rumours are Microsoft are planning to go down a similar route with Windows with no more big new version issues in favour of gradual improvements. Haven't heard about a subscription plan but it would not surprise me. The software market is changing.

As to future price increases at the moment I'm working on the basis that we will not see a substantial hike beyond normal inflation rises. I say this as I suspect that the market penetration Adobe have achieved as a result of affordable pricing is more valuable to them than the loss of said share if they raise prices too much even allowing for the inevitable inertia which such changes experience.

Hec
Old 13th May 2015

Thanks for all your comments so far, please keep them coming.

I took the plunge and downloaded PS and LR on trial yesterday (H*U*G*E downloads, of course!). I now have half a sheet of questions to raise with Adobe - install error messages, copying setting across and many more. I will post progress as it comes, meanwhile will still be interested to hear about others' experiences.

Hec - I agree with you that the economics work well at the moment. The big unknown is whether Adobe will stiff us on renewal fees once a critical mass of users is (*) locked in.

Ciao ... John

(*) Grammar pedant - "is" or "are" locked in? "Is" because "critical mass" is the subject of the verb and is singular. but "users is" looks wrong.
Old 13th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
Thanks for all your comments so far, please keep them coming.

I took the plunge and downloaded PS and LR on trial yesterday (H*U*G*E downloads, of course!). I now have half a sheet of questions to raise with Adobe - install error messages, copying setting across and many more. I will post progress as it comes, meanwhile will still be interested to hear about others' experiences.

Hec - I agree with you that the economics work well at the moment. The big unknown is whether Adobe will stiff us on renewal fees once a critical mass of users is (*) locked in.

Ciao ... John

(*) Grammar pedant - "is" or "are" locked in? "Is" because "critical mass" is the subject of the verb and is singular. but "users is" looks wrong.
I too signed up for the free 30 day trial last night, but my experience seems a bit smoother. The downloads were huge as John stated but Lightroom CC installed OK and opened with a message indicating it was creating a new copy of the existing catalogue (I have 5.7 already installed), this didn't take as long as expected, then the programme appeared with my folder structure and images just as it was in 5.7. I had a quick look around but haven't done any processing or used the new features yet, I will report back with my thoughts later in the week.
Photoshop CC also installed without a hitch, but I haven't had time to even open that yet, at my age I don't get enough beauty sleep as it is.

Website
Flickr
Old 13th May 2015

Liked 383 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post

I'd go with "is", on the basis that the subject is the "critical mass of users", which is a singular entity. But these days, nobody but us pedants seems to care

And yes, I've been on the CC plan for about a year now, and it's great for the auto-updates and ease of use, but any total monopoly is always a worry in the longer term.

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook
Old 13th May 2015

Just because nobody else cares doesn't mean we are wrong to do so, Margaret

In a case like this where it is difficult to work out the correct wording, I suppose the sensible thing is to find a different way to express it which avoids the problem. Unfortunately in this case, such a re-arrangement has so far eluded me.

Ciao ... John
Old 14th May 2015

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

"once the number of users has exceeded a critical mass"?

Or should that be "have .." ?