Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 12th September 2013

Liked 98 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Save the date - 12th September

Well I've been, saw, handled, used with various lens and I like it. My preferred choice is body only as I have the 12-60. I took 12-60 & 4/3 35-100 with me I found the auto focus with both lens very good. We were allowed outside to use the camera in he street and I'm pleased with performance. Certainly in my opinion as good if not better than the E-5. I tried the same lens on E-M5 and it didn't work very well. Had a look at the 12-40 but as I already own the 12-60 and it works well I will save my money.
Good to put faces to names, interesting to hear people's views.
Thanks to Mark from Olympus and Ian for the event.

On train home now Doncaster at 21.22.

www.dncphotography.co.uk
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DerekC For This Useful Post:
Grumpy Hec (13th September 2013), PeterBirder (12th September 2013), Phill D (12th September 2013), StephenL (12th September 2013), tomphotofx (12th September 2013), Wee man (12th September 2013), Zuiko (12th September 2013)
Old 12th September 2013

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts

21.22? It's 20.31 just now, squire - time passes damn quick on those Virgin trains

A really useful afternoon, and nice to meet the Team. Enormous thanks to Olympus and the forum for the opportunity.

I must say that my main take-away message was just how fantastic a lens the 75mm f1.8 really is - crystalline images resulted of the lovely models. My cheque will be in the post, Mark!

It was also extremely useful to try the 12-40 against my panny 12-35 (I'll be sticking).

I loved the handling of the M1, but I'm not 100% sure I'd benefit 500 quid more than I would if I bought a second M5 body (and especially if I bought one such second hand). But, of course, my only legacy 'E' glass is the 50mm f2, and I'm sure the equation is different for those who still own several of these.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (12th September 2013), Phill D (12th September 2013), StephenL (12th September 2013)
Old 12th September 2013

Liked 98 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
21.22? It's 20.31 just now, squire - time passes damn quick on those Virgin trains .
21.22 is when the train is due into Doncaster.

www.dncphotography.co.uk
Old 12th September 2013

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Nice to meet some new faces and see some old ones

My overall impression of the new camera was very positive.I know one or two found the 50-200SWD didn't focus to well.I thought when it was out side it was fine and so was the MK1 well on par if not a bit faster than the E5.
The surprise of the evening for me was the 50mm macro,seemed not to hunt anywhere near as much.

After all that I can't comment on the image quality as I didn't put any of my memory cards in it,I'll leave that to others to show.

Thanks for a good evening.

Ps I hope I haven't confused anyone with my weird camera settings

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andym For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (12th September 2013), Phill D (12th September 2013)
Old 12th September 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
Will try to stick around - availability of coffee and choccie biccies will help

Hope to see you later.

John
Aww - apparently I just missed you, John!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 12th September 2013

Re the 75mm: in case Oly and the E-SUG would like some evidence that this sort of meetup pays dividends, I've just ordered one from SRS

Too much Oly gear.
The Following User Says Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
Ian (13th September 2013)
Old 12th September 2013

Liked 754 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Aww - apparently I just missed you, John!

Ian
Sorry Ian! I had had a rather unsuccessful play (*) and started thinking about crowded trains home.

(*) Thinking back on it, it could well have been user error. Thanks to Birdboy John I was able to try out his 50-200 SWD, and found it hopeless - not as bad as the E-M5 but nowhere near the E-5. I think there may have been something a bit odd going on as it seemed to be trying to run in face detect mode. I've only just twigged this, if I had been more switched on I would have made a better job with the settings. There is another demo day at LCE Bristol tomorrow so if I can juggle the diary I might hop onto another train and be better prepared. Also I barely got a sniff of the 12-40 so Bristol might offer another opportunity!

And sorry to Birdboy John - I tried to transform it into a 90-250 for you but my magic skills were not up to the task.

Many thanks to Ian and Olympus for arranging it. It was good to see some familiar faces and meet some new ones.

Ciao ... John
Old 12th September 2013

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Thanks Ian and Mark for the chance to have a fiddle with the EM1 this afternoon
so what do i think? Its a winner the handling is far better than the EM5 with and without the battery pack, i tried it with my 12-60 & 35-100 and both appeared responsive on a par or better than my E30 in the fairly dim room. Handled the 12-40 briefly and it felt good but as DerekC mentioned the 12-60 works so no immediate need
I could see me now replacing my E30s

any downsides? The one thing i dont like is the battery and the fact that you have to remove the battery pack to change the 2nd battery- i think this will be a pain on an event (School prom typ 1200 shots 3 or 4 batteries 2 with the E30)

Dave
Old 12th September 2013

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Thank you to Ian and Olympus for arranging today. I am now very glad I pre-ordered this little gem. There are a lot of controls to get used to and lots of settings to assign to them. I think EM-5 users have a head start on this whereas coming from an E-system the plethora of focus options, in particular, is difficult to get to grips with.

Talking of grips my larger hands can't hold an EM-5 comfortably. The E520 always nestled quite nicely for me and the EM-1 was immediately comfortable too. In fact I realised that very quickly I was not thinking about the ergonomics which means it's right for me.

With the extra grip attached it is a pretty substantial and serious looking device.
Love the 1-2 switch to change the control wheel mode
Viewfinder - wow.

The two functions buttons on the front are a genius idea since those finger tips do nothing other wise. You can assign image zoom and focus peaking to one of each of these and quickly have a very capable system with an OM lens or whatever.

It took lovely pictures with my 50/2 (sorry I did not have a SD card of my own). It focused it quicker than my E520, it did not hunt as much and it did not get "stuck".

The other plus for me is that I could white balance on my blue jeans. The E-520/420 just say "WB error" when you try and do this. A real pain for underwater, available light, photography.

The EM-1 is shaping up to be a perfect camera for me.

Simon
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simonknee For This Useful Post:
Ian (13th September 2013), Phill D (12th September 2013)
Old 12th September 2013

I've just carefully read Robin Wong's excellently researched review, and I think I should try out the M1's CA-tracking capabilities for myself (in the street and/or with vehicles) before making a perhaps too-hasty decision to get another M5 body instead.

He has posted some very impressive shot series in exactly the sort of situations with m4/3 glass where I have found the M5 very frustrating.

I see a number of other Oly events are planned during the next month and I should be able to make one or more of them.

Too much Oly gear.
The Following User Says Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
Phill D (12th September 2013)
Old 12th September 2013

Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts

It was good to meet some new faces today as well as some old ones from the Circus

I went there today, happy to look at the new camera but not really interested as I am still getting to grips with the E M5 (it is a better camera than I am photographer ).

However there are some really nice things about this camera aside from the focussing concerns that have been addressed, so for my really technical evaluation......

The EVF was very good, noticeably brighter than the E M5. It probably refreshed quicker too but I'm not sure if I could tell that. I loved the focus peaking; for the first time ever I found it easy to focus manually and that would be a big plus to me as if I am totally honest, I far prefer an OVF. Handling was similar to the E M5, slightly heavier perhaps. The grip seemed slightly different so personally I felt my fingers fit better on the E M5, but it felt more balanced with the battery holder attached and I then preferred it to my camera. My 12-60 focused really quickly; the only time it seemed to hunt was when I focused on a horizontal line but I don't think that would be an issue. Again, trying to track moving vehicles was a bit difficult as people kept getting in the way but it definitely seemed to be tracking and i liked the fact that it was obvious in the viewfinder when it lost the focus/tracking with the coloured squares. Although we couldn't set it up as the correct app is not out yet, it seemed like it would be pretty easy to pair up the camera with an iPad/iPhone and take photos, and I think that would be great fun to play with on the new camera

These are just my observations and are not to be taken negatively! Overall I think this is a really nice camera and I could be really tempted....which is not what I wanted to be thinking

Andy, thank you for your lesson in camera settings...that was very helpful. Ian (and Mark), thank you so much for arranging today, again I am struck by how generous (and trusting!) Olympus are with allowing us to play with their cameras and lenses these meet ups are a great way of getting to know people on the forum, so I look forward to the next one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anne For This Useful Post:
Ian (13th September 2013), Phill D (12th September 2013), StephenL (13th September 2013)
Old 12th September 2013

Liked 122 Times in 80 Posts

I made it to the event - thanks to all concerned for arranging it. I found it very worthwhile and will doubtless be upgrading very soon. I also met a few people from the forum... friendly bunch!

Being able to use my 4/3 lenses is a big plus.. I've been considering a second hand E-5 for some time but, with the price holding and being three years old, it just didn't make sense. I can see I'll fully migrate to m4/3 over time, but being able to use the old glass helps a lot with the transition.

Key things for me:
* Improved low-light performance with good noise control
* Easy to use in manual mode
* EVF is the best I've seen and have no qualms about it
* Works well with 4/3 glass

No one else seems to have posted pics as yet, so here's one of the model (Zoe) - straight from the camera but resized, shot in manual mode in the room.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raichea...98972/sizes/o/
And here's a full-res crop of her eyes - that 75mm lens is very nice!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raichea...38194/sizes/o/

Thanks again, Steve

<Updated as images not displayed... provided links instead>
BTW - these are JPG... Lightroom doesn't understand E-M1 raw at present
<<Tried again as the editor messed up the image links when saving. Now Flickr is down! >>

Last edited by raichea; 12th September 2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Images not displayed
Old 12th September 2013

Liked 341 Times in 163 Posts

I too would like to say a big thank you to Ian and Mark and of course the girls, for today.

I have come away a little disappointed but to be honest I think it could well be down to my ignorance on how to set up the camera. Coming from an E3 & E5 the menu system and buttons were a little confusing to me. I was very interested in seeing how the 50-200swd lens perform but could not get it to snap the way it does on my E5. I tried the CAF and CAF + tracking and it seemed to have a mind of its own when out on the street but I am sure that must be me. My experience was that comparable of the 70-300ed lens on an E3 in terms of the speed with which it moved the lens

The focus peeking worked well on mFT lens but nobody could get it to work on non-Oly lenses. It was not working on the bigma. Since reading up it seems that one of the function buttons has to be assigned to peaking. That was not obvious by scanning through the menus.

On a positive note it did have a lot of features that I liked It will require a really good study of the manual though.

It was good to see folk on here.

John
John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 12th September 2013

Thanked 1,450 Times in 1,339 Posts
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,156 Posts

Just got in and read these posts over a nice nightcap. Dozed off on the train home hence the nightcap, lucky Derby was the last stop
I'll add my thanks to Ian and Mark too for an excellent day out. Definitely reassured after making that impulse buy on Tuesday. Only downside is you made me want the 12-40 now as well, it seemed to be really responsive and it's a gorgeous looking lens. Oh well good to have something to look forward to one day. First impressions of the camera were very favourable it's light years ahead of my E510 but that's not too much of a surprise. The learning curve will be quite lengthy I think as there is so much that can be customised. The 14-150 seemed quite at home as Ian and David had said and Simon's 50mm f2 also seemed pretty much at home. You could make it hunt if you tried but it seemed to be less prone to it. I think I've got your shots on my card Simon but I can't look at them until my daughter gets up in the morning as she has the only card reader that reads high capacity SD cards . The 50-200 mk1 also seemed to work ok although I didn't spend long with this one. I also tried my old 70-300 lens to see how it faired as focusing it on flying objects really is a pain with my E510 and it was definitely better but I'm not sure it's good enough, still hunts just when you don't want it too as far as I could tell from the limited time I had with it. Mind you the high iso capabilities of the EM1 may just transform this lens' usability for everything else that doesn't fly or move quickly.
Overall a brilliant day out with a load of new friends and an excellent camera that I began to feel at home with by the end. It was only eclipsed by the shots you showed us of your grandtwins Ian G - a definite ahh moment in the restaurant.
Old 13th September 2013

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Good morning to all,

Just like to put my thanks to Mark and Ian for putting yesterday's meet together. As others have said its great to put faces to names on the forum.

The camera and the new lenses were a pleasure to use and handle . The four thirds lenses works well and a lot better than on my EPL1 which is to be expected.

At this moment unless the magic 6 numbers on the lotto decide to shine on me tomorrow night I can not find the money to upgrade.

So to all who are buying enjoy your new kit when it arrives. Be patient

Ian