Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 6th December 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My New Novel

*modest blush*

Is it against forum etiquette to tell members about my new novel on Kindle, please?
Old 7th December 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,185 Times in 2,489 Posts
Liked 4,562 Times in 2,170 Posts
Re: My New Novel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMGruchy View Post
*modest blush*

Is it against forum etiquette to tell members about my new novel on Kindle, please?
Not at all, tell us as much as you want and provide a link. I can hardly complain, I'm a shameless self-publicist as you can see from my signature line.

Congratulations, I hope it sells well for you.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 7th December 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Zuiko. People's signatures usuallly contain photographic links. This is somewhat different.

My book blog link

Amazon link Amazon link

My other blog is here. It's my blog about gardens and gardening.
Old 7th December 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh look; my new signature worked after all. I tried adding itin and it didn't seem to be there.

Goody.
Old 7th December 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is the book cover image. I photographed the trees about a year ago, I think. Nice and stark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spiggs_wood_5_small.jpg (93.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 7th December 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's a contemporary police procedural, part of a series set around a fictional place called Elversford in Essex. There are two more in this series which I need to tinker with because my agent suggested changes to a novel called (at the moment) Blood Will Out.

Originally, in my mind's eye I had set the stories locally but I played around with the landscape quite a lot (especially in the next one) so I fictionalised the whole setting. My agent says that it's better if it is set in Essex, so I had to revert to the real places, though I kept the places where the action is as the fictional names and not the towns I based them on. This is because of the liberties with the landscape. (Elversford is not Chelmsford.)

My last agent wanted a map of the area in the next book in this series and I had to tell her it was a made-up landscape. I drew a map in Paintshop I think, but I'm going to have to change it slightly.

My agent is currently aiming to place BWO and any sequels to that series with a publisher. In the meantime, I thought I'd put this one up onto Amazon Kindle. It's not a good time for mid-list authors at the moment because the publishing world is undergoing market upheavals, so a lot of authors are putting their novels onto Kindle, especially their backlists where the rights have reverted.

My previous agent says that Death in Spigg's Wood is a unique piece of crime writing and deserves to be published. My current agent says that my style is "Martina Cole meets Rebus". I'm not sure I agree with that, not completely anyway, though I can see why she says that. I think I write like Linda Gruchy. It gives some idea of the level of grit.

So if you have a Kindle, or have downloaded the Kindle Reader app on your computer, and like crime novels, please consider buying Death on Spigg's Wood.
Old 7th December 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I've downloaded a sample, and when I get my Kindle back (my wife's using it at the moment even though she claims not to like them!) I'll gladly give it a go.

This "sample" idea on Amazon is great - I've bought over half the books I've tried.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 7th December 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks, StephenL. I do hope you enjoy it. I think the Sample download is a great idea too.

I'm at the, "They'll all think it's rubbish," stage and I have to keep telling myself if my last agent liked it, others will.
Old 7th December 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Being a shameless self-publicist I thought I'd put a part of my front cover as my avatar, but it ain't there. What have I done wrong, please?
Old 7th December 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh durrrr. I got confused between my profile piccie and my avatar.

I'm not very techincally minded.
Old 7th December 2011

Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts

I've just bought it Linda...couldn't resist after reading the sample download...I want to see what happens next!

I don't have a Kindle, but I do have Kindle for PC which I use quite often.

Good luck with the sales.

Janet

Old 7th December 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh wow, thanks. I hope you enjoy it.
Old 9th January 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Book Launch Invite
You are cordially invited to my virtual book launch weekend of 13th January 2012 to 15th January 2012, where I will be launching my full length crime novel set in Essex, “Death in Spigg’s Wood” and my anthology of short stories, “Wargeld & Other Stories”. This is a collection of some of my favourite short stories, including Wargeld, which was Highly Commended in The Yellow Room Competition Spring 2010

During the weekend “Wargeld & Other Stories” will be free to download.

Look forward to seeing you. x Linda

The cover is another photo of mine, which is rather chuffing. I've now decided to have a special folder for book cover potentials. I think I might have cropped this one rather too thin.

I'm also scared that the free anthology won't come up as free on the days. And it's US Pacific Standard time too, not GMT.
Old 9th January 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,185 Times in 2,489 Posts
Liked 4,562 Times in 2,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMGruchy View Post
Book Launch Invite
You are cordially invited to my virtual book launch weekend of 13th January 2012 to 15th January 2012, where I will be launching my full length crime novel set in Essex, “Death in Spigg’s Wood” and my anthology of short stories, “Wargeld & Other Stories”. This is a collection of some of my favourite short stories, including Wargeld, which was Highly Commended in The Yellow Room Competition Spring 2010

During the weekend “Wargeld & Other Stories” will be free to download.

Look forward to seeing you. x Linda

The cover is another photo of mine, which is rather chuffing. I've now decided to have a special folder for book cover potentials. I think I might have cropped this one rather too thin.

I'm also scared that the free anthology won't come up as free on the days. And it's US Pacific Standard time too, not GMT.
Hi Linda,

How do we "attend" the virtual launch? Make sure you remind us on 13th!

Have you considered publishing your book on Blurb? The price is prohibitive for large scale commercial success of large format, hard cover photobooks using premium paper but far more affordable for text only, standard size paperbacks. It could provide another market serving those without a Kindle.

Good luck with this venture, I hope it proves successful and leads to full publication.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 12th January 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oops I missed this post, sorry. (I turned off the email notification because the boss complained about the number of emails.)

I hadn't thought of Blurb, because I'm not familiar with them and thought it was just for photos. (I'd love to publish my best in a book, but that's a way off, I think.) I did wonder about Lulu, just so that I could have a copy on my bookshelf and maybe give one to my parents who won't do Kindle. (On the other hand, I've the feeling the DISW might be a little too gritty for them. They still think of me as a nice little girl aged 16, I suspect.)

I will certainly consider it. The problem, I suspect, is cost. I don't mind telling family and friends about a book which costs less than £2.50 but if it's very expensive I'd start to feel guilty.

The virtual launch is on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003293890200

My author page http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/e/B006VC6H4O (This is probably very important for my image but might be a pain to write comments on.)

and my blog. (Link in my signature.)

I anticipate being around quite a bit of the weekend, but not 100% of the time, for discussion and just to say hello etc. Instead of nibbles and Champers I'm offering the Anthology for free to download on those days (provided I have set it up correctly, and it kicks in OK. It's also on US time and they warn about the possibility of it not being timed exactly.)

The more copies are downloaded, the higher the book climbs in the Amazon rankings, and the more likely it is to be noticed by lots of people. So please, please do download it everyone.

Wargeld & other Stories contains some of my favourite short stories which are just a little too edgy for Women's magazines (though I don't think they're that grim - women's magazines cater for a specific market.)

I just had the Maldon & Burnham Standard photographer round today. (You'll know what I mean by that, I expect, John) Too late for the launch because it will be in next week's issue, probably. I also see from this week's Essex Chronicle that I've missed a trick there. It's talking about other people who have Kindled, including a friend Elizabeth Lord. I sent them a press Release but I suspect it will be a "me too" story and ignored by them as last week's wonder. Ho hum. Can't have it all ways.

The photographer had a Canon but I didn't pass remark except to observe that it must be a very wide angle lens, she was so close to me. I'm glad she managed to miss photographing the clutter and untidiness.