Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 5th September 2011

Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts
My first wedding...

Phew...thank goodness that's over and done with! My first wedding shoot...scary or what?

It was incredibly stressful, but also great fun, although I wouldn't like to have this sort of responsibility on a full time basis! I never thought it was gong to be easy, but I had no idea just how hard it was going to be. I now have the utmost respect for wedding photographers.

I let myself be talked into this a few months ago, against my better judgment. The bride and groom are both good friends and leading members of the brass band that I photograph, and the whole band were in attendance, performing before and after the ceremony and then proceeding to drink the bar dry as only Nelson Brass can!

I arrived at the bride's house at 9.30, with the wedding ceremony arranged for 2.00pm...so, loads of time? Not on your life...! The whole day passed in an absolute blur...I have absolutely no idea what time I got home, as I consumed a vast quantity of Tyrannosaurus Red but I think I can safely say that a good time was had by all!

We had a lot of fun during the bridal preparation which helped me to relax a bit, but then I was in a taxi and on my way to the venue....oh heck! Timings were good, so I had chance to take a few shots of the groom and his best man before the bride arrived.

Then it began to get seriously scary! I had to get shots of her in and getting out of the car, then dash into the hotel for shots of her walking into the room...luckily the registrar was absolutely amazing, and had arranged for me to have the best position, with full freedom to move around throughout the ceremony.

The lighting in the conservatory was good, but the orange decor and the ceiling made it an absolute nightmare!

The only thing I was asked not to do was to take shots of the actual signing of the register, but they set up a dummy shot for me afterwards. They couldn't have been more helpful, and everyone was encouraged to take photos throughout. It really was very relaxed and more to the point...fun!

I have to say that the pressure was all of my own making...the bride and groom had made it crystal clear that I was first and foremost a guest and was to enjoy myself...although they had a few shots that they wanted to get, they said that they'd be happy if they just had one decent photo from the day to hang on their wall...I had a lot more than that in mind! I've spent weeks/months looking at wedding photography sites and planning various shots. Some I managed to get, some I didn't, but on the whole I'm pretty pleased with what I did get.

The weather didn't favour us, with grey and overcast skies and torrential rain as the bride arrived and then throughout the afternoon, meaning that the group and family shots were rather rushed. Fortunately I'd had them make up a list of their "must have" shots, and had an excellent helper to round everyone up and get them into position. He was an absolute star!

The wedding had a distinct theme, which was great fun! I'd been let into the secret from the start, so I knew some of the shots I wanted to get, but it all then started to get a bit silly! The theme for the wedding was Disney, and each table was allocated a name and a dwarf....it wasn't long before a punning clan was hatched and the dwarves were duly kidnapped from the tables and held to ransom by Nelson Brass...we had managed to get the key to the bridal suite, so took the opportunity to take photos of our victims!

I don't want to publish any photos of the bride and groom until they've seen them, so for now, here are the stars of the show...

Nelson Brass!

Janet

Old 5th September 2011

Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts
Re: My first wedding...

Looking very good so far.

Quote:
It was incredibly stressful, but also great fun, although I wouldn't like to have this sort of responsibility on a full time basis! I never thought it was gong to be easy, but I had no idea just how hard it was going to be. I now have the utmost respect for wedding photographers.
I've done one too and I agree wholeheartedly. The sweat pours off when you're going for it.

Lots of toys.
Old 5th September 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Janet,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your day, despite the 'responsibility' on your shoulders and by the looks of the few images you've posted things are looking good for your images and overall success.

Spend some time having a good crticial look at your images as you know full well that some can benefit from cropping etc or the monochrome treatment as you've done (like that one!).

I think the happy couple will be even happier when they see your efforts and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your shots.

Well done, all over now bar the processing!

Regards

More gear than I need, less gear than I want!
Old 5th September 2011

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Janet, hats off to you, as Duncan says what you have post so far looks excellent.
Looking forward to seeing more when you get approval

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr