Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 20th August 2011

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
HB50 (Hayling Billy 50years since closure)

Hi all,

A small team and I have just launched a new website to record the progress of a new project. The aims of the project are as follows:-
1. To record and celebrate the railway that once served the Hayling Island Community so well.
2. To find and record railway artifacts in private and public ownership.
3. To secure and restore the semaphore signal on the southern approach to railway bridge.
4. To improve access for the disabled to the Hayling Billy Trail (the old railway alignment).
5. To provide a view point for the disabled overlooking the Oysterbeds and Langstone Harbour.
6. To set up events for 2013, 50 years since the closure of the line.

It's early days but I thought I would let you know of the site and invite you all to view it. There is an opportunity for you to join a forum on the site if you wish to.
The website is here.

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 20th August 2011

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: HB50 (Hayling Billy 50years since closure)

It's a bit bigger than the layouts in our garages Peter !

Great work.....

Regards

peterlittlephotography.com
Old 20th August 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovich View Post
It's a bit bigger than the layouts in our garages Peter !

Great work.....

Regards
Thanks for your reply and comments Peter. I have been pushing for the restoration of the signal for some while but it is important that it is firstly recognised as a valuable relic. This way it will be protected.

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 21st August 2011

Re: HB50 (Hayling Billy 50years since closure) First article from the public

Just had an interesting article posted about the very early days of the Hayling Billy. This might interest some of you.
Here is a 1930's map of the route of the railway.

The line leaves Havant (top of page) and continues down the page.

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 21st August 2011

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Peter.

Do the posts or footings still exist for the viaduct from the mainland, I have driven across the road bridge many times and not looked past the yacht moorings ?

Thanks for the map, I am digging out my Ian Allen railway atlas of GB as I type.

Regards

Old 21st August 2011

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Peter

Well now that is something! I was unaware of. Engine no. 32560 was the original no 50 "Whitechapel" ( historically famous)from the LB&SCR before being re classified a A1x. It is now on the Spa Valley Railway!! is that right?

Regards

Old 21st August 2011

Quote:
Hi Peter.

Do the posts or footings still exist for the viaduct from the mainland, I have driven across the road bridge many times and not looked past the yacht moorings ?

Thanks for the map, I am digging out my Ian Allen railway atlas of GB as I type.

Regards
Quote:
Hi Peter

Well now that is something! I was unaware of. Engine no. 32560 was the original no 50 "Whitechapel" ( historically famous)from the LB&SCR before being re classified a A1x. It is now on the Spa Valley Railway!! is that right?

Regards
Hi Peter

Thanks for your reply. The bridge approach was on an embankment on both sides of the water, The abutments are still there although pretty well damaged after nearly 50 years of no maintenance. The concrete piers on which the bridge trestles were mounted are still there as are the two metal piers on which the swing bridge was mounted.

The southern half of the railway bridge

The northern half of the railway bridge. Both images were taken from the southern embankment. The metal structure in each photo is all that remains of the swing bridge in the centre of the span.

Out of interest, this is the 'forgotten' rail-built signal, on the southern embankment, which I want to preserve and restore.

When the line first opened, the contractors ran the service from Havant to Hayling Island. The locomotives that were used could only be described as a motley collection of industrial traction. When the Southern railway took over this line, they tried a number of light locomotives from their stock list. Finally, the A1 and the modified A1X locomotives proved to be the main operating fleet.

Whitechapel is indeed at the Spa Valley Railway.

We had one A1X mounted on a short piece of rail outside a public house. This has been removed and transferred to the Isle of Wight, has been restored and can be seen in action there.

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/