Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 10th October 2019

Liked 132 Times in 74 Posts
Calibrating monitor(s)

Hi folks, I'm in need of some advice again, and I know there are many knowledgeable people here will be able to help

I've just completed building my new PC and I need to calibrate the monitors. Traditionally, I've always used Datacolor's Spyder but my Spyder 4 is now not up to new technology and so I'm looking at the SpyderX Pro but before I do I would be interested in other recommendations of other vendors.

My laptop is a Dell XPS15, 4K and the Spyder 4 won't work with the screen, so it is imperative that I can calibrate this monitor. My new PC has twin Dell DELL U2718Q 27" 4K monitors plus a third HP 2k monitor. I believe that modern GPUs can support "multiple" calibration profiles on just one GPU - I am trying to get some take from Datacolor on whether this is true and if their products will support multiple monitors on one GPU - their response is a bit like a lumbering dinosaur.

I need to calibrate the two DElls and it would be a bonus if the HP could be calibrated - off the same GPU if that is at all feasible.

So, any comments and suggestions would be most appreciated.

Edit: Just adding that I believe that for printing the calibrator should be designed for printer profiling also, which, apparently, the Spyder X Pro does (?).

Thanks,

Steve
Old 10th October 2019

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Calibrating monitor(s)

I'm far from an expert on color calibration, but I have started using DisplayCal with my MacBook Pro/Catalina and ColorMunki Smile. The software for the ColorMunki Smile was 32 bit and no longer supported by X-rite. DisplayCal works with my equipment though I'm only using very basic settings. The Spyder 4 is listed as a supported instrument, so you may want to give it a look. DisplayCal is open source.

https://displaycal.net

Best of luck,
Dan
raichea (13th October 2019), Wreckdiver (12th October 2019)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (10th October 2019), Wreckdiver (10th October 2019)
Old 10th October 2019
Administrator

Liked 1,624 Times in 937 Posts

Several people have “calibrated” their monitors without ever considering their own colour perception and the lighting in which the monitors are used.

Having had my eyes checked for colour perception, I use the standard Greytag chart and paint charts (curtesy of B&Q) to get the colours right on my systems (Monitors and Printers)

I often recommend that photography clubs adopt an image that they all agree on and use it as their “standard”. That way everyone can see what the colours should look like when projected, printed and on a TV or Monitor.

peak imaging offers “free” the FujiCal image that can be used for just this purpose.

https://www.peak-imaging.com/about/monitor.calibration

I have tried my own eyes against several calibration systems and can set up my systems within better than 2% of the settings proposed by the calibrators; which incidentally have varied by as much as 4%...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
Wreckdiver (10th October 2019)
Ross the fiddler (11th October 2019), Wreckdiver (10th October 2019)
Old 10th October 2019

Thanks folks, I am aware of the ambient lighting colour temp that the monitors will be used in and even the colour of the walls and curtains etc. to a degree. I tend to try and keep the lighting very low and as close to 5500K as possible.

I am not too bothered about producing correct colours for screen/internet use but I am concerned about getting screen and hence printing colours accurate. I have done some printing myself and used on-line printers and the results were not very encouraging

Thanks for the link Graham, I'll have a good read later. Hopefully, Datacolor will get back soon and I've also left a question with Wex re the SpyderX Pro.

Thanks all,

Steve
Old 10th October 2019

Liked 1,731 Times in 1,113 Posts

Get the late Bruce Fraser's book on Colour Management. It's in the 'Real World' series and will tell you all you need to know about colour management (and a whole lot more that you'll wish you didn't know!).

Jim
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
Naughty Nigel (10th October 2019), Wreckdiver (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 10th October 2019

Liked 122 Times in 80 Posts

I use an X-Rite i1Display Pro and it creates and applies separate profiles for the two monitors attached to my single graphics card. I'm very pleased with the results.
Wreckdiver (11th October 2019)
Old 11th October 2019

Liked 468 Times in 207 Posts

I use an X-rite Colormunki Photo. In addition to calibrating displays this can also produce profiles for printer paper - so that your prints match what you see on the monitor.
Wreckdiver (11th October 2019)
Old 11th October 2019

Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts

My goto website for this sort of thing is Northlight Images, a mine of practical information. Have a look here: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/c...r-calibration/, though the site in general is worth exploring. In particular, for the Spyder X, http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/s...brator-review/. I don't know your monitors, but don't forget that if they come with their own hardware calibration tool then you'd need to check that it supports whatever calibrator you intend using.

I have created a paper profile using my Spyder 4, but I'm not altogether sure it was worth it. I think there's a lot more to it than meets the eye. Manufacturer profiles seem pretty reasonable to me, but also bear in mind that some paper manufacturers offer free custom profiles for users of their paper (e.g. Fotospeed).

If my old monitor ever throws in the towel I'd go for a wide gamut one and I think I'd then need to upgrade my calibrator. Meanwhile I don't use it enough to warrant a replacement.

(I can never think of anything witty to say when under pressure!)

GH2, G50, various m4/3rds lenses, Fuji X-T1 system

My website: www.icimaging.co.uk
Old 11th October 2019
Administrator

Liked 1,624 Times in 937 Posts

I sometimes wonder if such things ever entered into mind in the days before digital...

I can remember back in the 80s when we had “visual standards” for paint colours and they were viewed under “special” lights. We also had colour charts that were kept in the darkroom (lest they fade).

Slides were projected onto screens with a special surface and the projector lamps were changed after a certain amount of use, which was handy as I never had to buy a lamp for my own one.

But when it came to viewing pictures at home, we either sat by the window or flicked through the albums, by the light of a 60W lamp (of unknown temp.)

Our brain is very good at making things “look” right and we all see colours different anyway, with preferences as to how things should look.

While writing this I have just realised that I have never even considered if my iPad can be “calibrated”...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 11th October 2019

Liked 1,731 Times in 1,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
I use an X-rite Colormunki Photo. In addition to calibrating displays this can also produce profiles for printer paper - so that your prints match what you see on the monitor.
I also have a Colormunki, but have never been able to calibrate a printer satisfactorily, in spite of refining the calibration with sample prints. It's something I need to get to the bottom of.

Jim
Old 11th October 2019
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

It's important to get display calibration right for lots of reasons - to get faithful looking prints and so that other people with decently calibrated displays can see the true colour of your images. A properly calibrated display will sometimes display more detail after calibration.

I know a lot of members don't have a hardware calibrator and I am now considering the purchase of a good quality one that can be lent to members for a modest fee.

Do let me know if that would be of interest.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Naughty Nigel (12th October 2019)
OM USer (11th October 2019), Wreckdiver (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 11th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
It's important to get display calibration right for lots of reasons - to get faithful looking prints and so that other people with decently calibrated displays can see the true colour of your images. A properly calibrated display will sometimes display more detail after calibration.

I know a lot of members don't have a hardware calibrator and I am now considering the purchase of a good quality one that can be lent to members for a modest fee.

Do let me know if that would be of interest.

Ian
Sounds like a very interesting proposition Ian and one that would probably be of interest to many forum members. Personally, I would rather buy my own than regularly hiring as I have several PCs with multiple monitors that I would calibrate on a regular basis. Constantly hiring and returning wouldn't be the most cost effective way.

I am sure others here would find this a good solution though

Cheers,

Steve
Old 11th October 2019

Liked 168 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in NC View Post
I'm far from an expert on color calibration, but I have started using DisplayCal with my MacBook Pro/Catalina and ColorMunki Smile. The software for the ColorMunki Smile was 32 bit and no longer supported by X-rite. DisplayCal works with my equipment though I'm only using very basic settings. The Spyder 4 is listed as a supported instrument, so you may want to give it a look. DisplayCal is open source.

Best of luck,
Dan
I use displaycal too in conjunction with a Spyder 5, much better than the software it comes with.
Old 11th October 2019

Liked 543 Times in 381 Posts

I have bought at least three display measurement devices, they become obsolete too quickly aas a result of driver incompatibilities that require a new sensor (as they are better and more sensitive etc) As the sensors are about £100 or more I think the solution is to not to scrimp on the screen quality.
Graham_of_Rainham (12th October 2019)
Old 12th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in NC View Post

Best of luck,
Dan
That is extremely interesting Dan, I didn't realise that there was other software for existing calibration hardware. I will try this with my Spyder 4 over the weekend and report back what I find. Many thanks for this

Steve
The Following User Liked This Post:
raichea (13th October 2019)