Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 2nd October 2019

Liked 68 Times in 43 Posts
Re: Olympus developing a new 500mm lens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
I'm not sure this wildlife photographer - just booked 16 days in the Kruger for February - will be in the stampede. That price will be more than the whole holiday for two.

I don't think I'll be buying it either. But compared to what the pros are used to paying for the big Canon and Nikon lenses £6,000 will seem like a bargain to them. I'm sure that the driver for the creation of this lens is the Tokyo Olympics giving photographers great reach from the press stands. The wildlife photographers would probably have preferred a prime but that wouldn't be so versatile for those covering multiple stadium events.

One thing we can be sure of is that it will be optically stunning

Wildwood
Old 2nd October 2019

Liked 361 Times in 151 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

My preference for African wildlife is a zoom but if you want more than the 100-400 can manage then the 300/4+MC20 is the only option at the moment. It's good for birds. Maybe I'll be tempted when the price comes down or there are second hand ones.

EM1ii, EM10ii
The Following User Liked This Post:
griffljg (6th October 2019)
Old 5th October 2019

Liked 1,499 Times in 375 Posts

Quote:
My preference for African wildlife is a zoom but if you want more than the 100-400 can manage then the 300/4+MC20 is the only option at the moment. It's good for birds. Maybe I'll be tempted when the price comes down or there are second hand ones.
I agree a zoom would be the right choice when it comes to wildlife (mammals). Or possibly a shorter telephoto, the 300mm often has too narrow angle of view. Now, Olympus don't offer any high grade prime telephoto except the 300mm so it would have to be a zoom.

When it comes to bird photography I would definitely spend my money on a prime lens rather than a zoom. A fast 500mm F/4 or F/4.5 would be a nice complement to the excellent 300 F/4.

My Gallery on 500px
Old 5th October 2019

Liked 40 Times in 16 Posts

It sounds interesting, but what I want is something light weight with image stabilization...
Seriously, I can't handle heavy metal lenses! I already have a Tamron 150-600mm for Nikon full frame and it's just too frikken heavy for me to lug around, let alone take any pictures with it!
Old 5th October 2019

Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

Interesting to see. I prefer a zoom as it offers a bit more of a choice in composition. I also like the idea of very tight landscapes. When wandering about Scotland I often see neat views in which a long telephoto zoom would 'see past' wind turbines, pylons, modern houses, tourists, etc.

Lots of toys.
cinders (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 5th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordan58 View Post
I agree a zoom would be the right choice when it comes to wildlife (mammals).

The only time I reach for a zoom over a prime to photograph mammals is if I'm going spend the day at a zoo. For wild mammals you very rarely have the problem of them being too close. I use the 300/f2.8 to photograph Badgers and find it ideal for the task. For most of the rest I use the 300/f4 just as I do for birds, butterflies and dragonflies.

Wildwood
Old 6th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
The only time I reach for a zoom over a prime to photograph mammals is if I'm going spend the day at a zoo. For wild mammals you very rarely have the problem of them being too close. I use the 300/f2.8 to photograph Badgers and find it ideal for the task. For most of the rest I use the 300/f4 just as I do for birds, butterflies and dragonflies.
That is fair comment in Europe but in Africa you often get quite close to very large animals. Whilst my main lens is the 100-400 I always have the 40-150 or even 12-100 to hand for those circumstances. An elephant ten yards away more than fills the frame at 100mm and you'd only get the eyeball at 300mm!

EM1ii, EM10ii
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (7th October 2019), cinders (4 Weeks Ago), griffljg (6th October 2019)
Old 6th October 2019

Liked 1,499 Times in 375 Posts

Quote:
That is fair comment in Europe but in Africa you often get quite close to very large animals. Whilst my main lens is the 100-400 I always have the 40-150 or even 12-100 to hand for those circumstances. An elephant ten yards away more than fills the frame at 100mm and you'd only get the eyeball at 300mm!
That's what I meant with mammals in my previous post. When in Tanzania I found the 50-200 extremely useful, that was before I had the 40-150. For European conditions I agree longer focal length is required, though.

My Gallery on 500px
Old 6th October 2019

Liked 132 Times in 59 Posts

What I don't understand is how a professional photographer can state a m4/3 300mm lens isn't suitable (long enough?), but say a DSLR with a 500mm lens is O.K.

Quote:
Jack advises having a DSLR or bridge camera with a lens that is at least the equivalent of a 500 mm for Red Deer Photography. So for example a DSLR with a 500 mm or a Bridge camera with at least a 24x optical zoom lens. If using a mirrorless system micro 4/3 you will need at least a 400 mm lens (a 300 mm is NOT recommended). We recommend that a DSLR with a 150-600 mm lens is perfect for this course. If you’re not sure please ask Jack for advice. We also have cameras that you can hire on your course day, starting at £29.00 (no deposit required), so you can try before you buy. We also have a selection of Nikon N series & Canon L series lenses that you can hire on your course day, starting at £35.00 (no deposit required).
Angelica (6th October 2019)
Old 6th October 2019

Quote:

Were I to do Africa (which I never will because I'm not rich), I'd go to Djuma in the Sabi Sands with the hope of seeing either Tingana, Thandi or Tlamba (they're all Leopards BTW). Then, yes, I'd use zooms. Probably my 50-200 on one body and my 12-50 on another body in case of Elephants. But I'm not rich so my lens choice is dictated by the wildlife around me.

Wildwood
Old 6th October 2019

Liked 195 Times in 130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelica View Post
It sounds interesting, but what I want is something light weight with image stabilization...
Seriously, I can't handle heavy metal lenses! I already have a Tamron 150-600mm for Nikon full frame and it's just too frikken heavy for me to lug around, let alone take any pictures with it!
A friend of mine has just been in almost exactly that position, though with Canon in his case.
He traded in both the body and the Tamron and bought an E-M1 Mk2 plus 300mm F4 and 1.4TC. I think he's well pleased, both in terms of weight and quality improvement.
He borrowed my 100-300 Panasonic for a while as well, which seemed to complement the prime and the 12-40mm, albeit a non-weather sealed and not so bright lens. It is however cheaper and lighter than the 40-150mm F2.8

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Angelica (6th October 2019)
Old 6th October 2019

Liked 40 Times in 16 Posts

After reading reviews I have a Panasonic 100-400mm zoom lens f/4-f/6.3 on order now. It has OIS, but it does weigh almost 1kg and cost about 1000 GBP (including import duty and shipping), so pushing the limit of what I can afford.

The Olympus 300 prime f/4 is evidently a much brighter lens (the f/4 on the Panasonic will be at 100mm, not 300), but it weighs more and costs more too... so in the end I decided nature photography will be out in bright daylight, and so I can probably suffer the smaller aperture.

I do think zoom will be handy as apparently the way to track our subject is with small zoom and only zoom in once we got it in focus... someone explained how the EVF will make things much harder than an optical view finder. From experience I know these displays are hard to see outdoors, even without trying to track a bird in flight!

I shall be writing about it soon enough, somewhere, I expect, but the Nikon and Tamron combination would spend so long trying to auto-focus and then getting it wrong, that I invariably ended up switching it to manual mode.
Old 7th October 2019

Liked 4,027 Times in 1,844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelica View Post

I do think zoom will be handy as apparently the way to track our subject is with small zoom and only zoom in once we got it in focus... someone explained how the EVF will make things much harder than an optical view finder. From experience I know these displays are hard to see outdoors, even without trying to track a bird in flight!

I shall be writing about it soon enough, somewhere, I expect, but the Nikon and Tamron combination would spend so long trying to auto-focus and then getting it wrong, that I invariably ended up switching it to manual mode.
The EVF does sometimes have that little lag in time, and switches off at times. But it is not really any harder to use. Just slightly different I think. With your Air camera, without a screen, that should not be a problem

Again, with the Air camera, aiming any telephoto lens is going to almost impossible, it's difficult enough when you are trying to see the subject with a viewfinder...……...So it will be very interesting to see your results...…….

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Angelica (7th October 2019)
Old 7th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
Were I to do Africa (which I never will because I'm not rich), I'd go to Djuma in the Sabi Sands with the hope of seeing either Tingana, Thandi or Tlamba (they're all Leopards BTW). Then, yes, I'd use zooms. Probably my 50-200 on one body and my 12-50 on another body in case of Elephants. But I'm not rich so my lens choice is dictated by the wildlife around me.
Have a look at my posts from earlier this year about the cost of going to the Kruger which is very significantly cheaper than Sabi Sands and similar reserves. You'll see the same animals as there's no fence between the Kruger and any of the reserves just to the west of it - that was taken down in the early 90s. We've just booked 16 days in the Kruger and one in a small hotel the night before for under £1,500. To that we'll have to add car hire, petrol and restaurant food (not expensive in SA). You don't get the luxury and you'll have to drive yourself but that's where the fun lies. In FT days I found the 50-200 to be an excellent African lens.

EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 12th October 2019

Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Westhead View Post
I agree with Keith it is about time Olympus built a 100-400 that will rival the Panasonic 100-400 f4-6.3 in focal length with the Olympus quality, they are way to slow with this one.

They should have had a 100-400 on the market years ago in my opinion without all the issues etc of the Panasonic 100-400 f4-f6.3 that is my reason for never buying that one but one produced by Olympus I would have in a heartbeat for airshows etc.

I won't be holding my breath for the Olympus 100-400 :-(
I couldn't agree more with you Thomas, as I myself would love to have an Oly version of the 100-400 f4-f6.3 lens for airshows and planespotting.

Oly OMD E-M 10 Mark II
Oly E-420
Oly Zuiko ED 70-300mm 1:4-5.6
Oly Zuiko ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6
Oly Zuiko EZ 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6
Oly Zuiko ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6
Samyang/Delamax 650-1300mm 1:8-16 Manual Telephoto Lens
Chinon 500mm mirror 1:8-16 Manual Telephoto Lens

https://adewit7.wixsite.com/aviationphotography