Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 13th August 2019

Liked 762 Times in 523 Posts
Re: Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Think you might be getting close to the underlying issue.
and wouldn’t that be so typical of this country in this day and age!
Old 13th August 2019

Liked 1,801 Times in 667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Surely that sort of thing needs to be sorted in advance! When this happens you can’t faff about making decisions. It should all be automagic and happen instantly surely. This is where (surely?) multiple battery installations would help. Wasn’t there a scheme talked about a while ago where organisations could set up a load of batteries in shipping containers, connected up and ready for just this eventuality. I seem to recall it being talked about around local councils as they would make some money ones out of it.
(I know! Too much use of the word surely!!)
I can't believe the water systems didn't kick in, unless of course they were still depleted from an earlier activation...

The interesting critic in the Guardian news paper article was a battery supplier! (no vested interest there then!)

But the use of batteries - although discussed a lot over the last few years is only just getting started, I was involved in the early discussions around "new" technologies that allowed for the use of these containerised battery reserves for grid balancing, and can see that they will be rolled out more and more as the country switches away from traditional power stations.

The ideal of distributed generation, where there are "green" forms of production dotted all over the place is the goal for the long term, which allied with large scale wind farms, solar farms and traditional power stations removes a lot of the issues seen as wrong with the current transmission network.

Widescale use of solar is starting to become a real contributor to the grid system, and allied with localised batteries is an ideal solution for a lot of the growth we need for EVs, so all commercial buildings have as big a PV array as possible, and all houses do the same, however up to now the DNO (Distribution Network Operators) have been reluctant to add in small scale solutions, (10kW on a house is too small to bother with! - 100 or 1000 houses may be worth it though!) so neighbourhood co-operatives are needed to sort this... Changes are needed, and the Government is too tied up with other things to think about proper solutions.

There are several neighbourhood networks out there showing the way it can work, the biggest being in America, where it's all working very well. The commercial elements use Block Chain to manage the production/consumption and payment transfers (Block Chain is behind these crypto currencies you see around)
Old 13th August 2019

Liked 2,508 Times in 1,643 Posts

Adding to the above, Britain doesn't have any major hydro-electric power stations, but rather a collection of smaller ones, mainly in Scotland. It seems the output from these is deliberately held back to maximise renewable subsidies.

Checking this morning our nuclear output is just over 5 GW, down from the maximum of 8 GW. Fuel costs are negligible so nuclear is usually run at maximum output. This reduced output would suggest that some plants are shut down for some reason - possibly in maintenance or refit.

We also seem to import 2 GW from France on an almost constant basis. This was originally intended as a two-way interconnect to cover the differing peaks in our two counties but the low costs of French nuclear power make it convenient for National Grid to import power rather than building additional capacity here.

I was interested to read about 'Diesel Farms' in the Grauniad article. Presumably these help to cope with peaks in demand when fleets of electric cars are plugged in?

Battery storage is one solution, but like electric cars, the charge and discharge cycle is far from 100% efficient.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 13th August 2019

Liked 1,801 Times in 667 Posts

There is also an issue with the link between Scotland and England, meaning that it is often running at capacity and cannot move sufficient energy into England at times.
Old 13th August 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
There is also an issue with the link between Scotland and England, meaning that it is often running at capacity and cannot move sufficient energy into England at times.
That'll be Wee Jimmy Crankie's doing!

If true though heads should roll, especially given the huge amount of renewable capacity installed in Scotland over the past few years.

Does this also affect the interconnects with the island of Ireland?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 13th August 2019

Reading the above, it really does seem like there is no sensible joined up thinking going on, no will or driver to actually pull their fingers out and do a proper, sustainable, scalable job of it all. Now, if only we could get another railway line sorted between London and Birmingham.......
The Following User Says Thank You to TimP For This Useful Post:
wornish (13th August 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (13th August 2019)
Old 13th August 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Reading the above, it really does seem like there is no sensible joined up thinking going on, no will or driver to actually pull their fingers out and do a proper, sustainable, scalable job of it all. Now, if only we could get another railway line sorted between London and Birmingham.......
I don't think there has been any joined up thinking by any UK government for a very long time.

We seem to see-saw between throwing money at vote-wining policies that do little good in the long term followed by extreme cost cutting that destroys the fabric of our country and selling the family silver. Some governments even sell the family silver (or gold) to spend on their ill-conceived vote-winning policies.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
TimP (13th August 2019)
Old 13th August 2019

Still, bless their little cotton socks, they are having a nice holiday now. It’s not like there is anything important going on at the moment.
Jim Ford (13th August 2019)
Old 13th August 2019

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

Expect the lights to go out following a no-deal Brexit then! Many of our power stations are owned by overseas companies, mostly EU.

The pumped storage stations (like Dinorwig) were built to absorb excess power from a neighbouring nuclear station during periods of low demand, and squirt it back into the Grid during the ad breaks in Corrie when everyone put the kettle on. I'm not sure they supply power for any significant length of time, they are there to cover short term peaks. You can take a tour of Dinorwig, something I've been intending to do for a long time.
Jim Ford (13th August 2019)
Old 13th August 2019

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
The Pacer was basically a Leyland National bus body with bus seats and engines riding on two pairs of railway wheels. They don't even have proper bogies so ride comfort was never going to be good.
The original prototype that became the Pacer, LEV-1, was at the Wensleydale Railway for a while and I had a ride on it. Awful thing! It looked even more like the bus it was based on. Railway buffs call them "nodding donkeys" because of the way they pitch. From what I remember of them the Leyland Nationals weren't much better as buses .

There was part one of a two part series about the HST of Channel Five last night, worth a look on catch-up. Part two is tonight (Tuesday) at 7pm, C5.
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
Naughty Nigel (14th August 2019)
Old 13th August 2019

Liked 1,730 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Expect the lights to go out following a no-deal Brexit then! Many of our power stations are owned by overseas companies, mostly EU.
It will just need the energy of 'positive thinking', to keep them going!

Jim
Otto (13th August 2019)
Old 13th August 2019

Liked 1,647 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
It will just need the energy of 'positive thinking', to keep them going!

Jim

Give me positive can-do thinking every time over the alternative on offer by our we know best, self-serving, politicians of all parties.

My Flickr
Naughty Nigel (14th August 2019)
Old 13th August 2019

Liked 1,730 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Give me positive can-do thinking every time over the alternative on offer by our we know best, self-serving, politicians of all parties.
The trouble is that a lot of people mistake 'magical thinking' for 'positive thinking'!

Jim
Old 13th August 2019

Thanked 1,539 Times in 1,463 Posts
Liked 1,455 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
...The pumped storage stations (like Dinorwig) were built to absorb excess power from a neighbouring nuclear station during periods of low demand, and squirt it back into the Grid during the ad breaks in Corrie when everyone put the kettle on. ...You can take a tour of Dinorwig, something I've been intending to do for a long time.
I have... and I have a nice picture inside the turbine hall taken on my OM40 (this was 25 years ago).
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
Old 14th August 2019

Quote:

The pumped storage stations (like Dinorwig) were built to absorb excess power from a neighbouring nuclear station during periods of low demand, and squirt it back into the Grid during the ad breaks in Corrie when everyone put the kettle on. I'm not sure they supply power for any significant length of time, they are there to cover short term peaks. You can take a tour of Dinorwig, something I've been intending to do for a long time.
I have visited the Cruachan Pumped Water Power Station in Scotland around thirty years ago. The tour involves being driven into the mountain side on an electric buggy. The journey rather reminded me of a Bond film where the baddies operate from underground tunnels, but there wasn't' actually much to see when we got there. The tour was free in those days but apparently the turbine halls were not open to the public.

I had thought Cruachan was capable of providing around 2 GW of power but according to Wiki it is 440 MW.

When the top reservoir is full, Cruachan can operate for 22 hours before the supply of water is exhausted. The power station is required to keep a 12-hour emergency water supply in order to provide a black start capability to the National Grid, to enable utilities to be restarted without access to external power.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
OM USer (14th August 2019)