Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19th July 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50-200 SWD wont autofocus

I've mounted my 50-200 SWD on my E-3 this afternoon only to find that it won't autofocus. Swiching on and off and changing some AF settings doesn't fix it (I was convinced it would!). There are faint noises and small/slow movements on the focus indicator on the lens and I get the confirmation beep when I use the manual focus ring so there is some kind of connection between body and lens.

My 12-60 is working fine, so I'm reluctantly concluding that the 50-200 AF system has blown up and it needs to go back to Olympus under warranty (Olympus US probably as I bought it from amazon.com while I was over there for a month last November).

However, before proceeding with that, no doubt frustrating and lengthy process, I thought I'd check to see if there is anybody who has seen this before or, even better, would know about some kind of reset for the lens.

I'm on day 2 of summer holiday and had great intentions for the 50-200, mainly action so AF is even more important - sod's law