Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-620/600

Olympus E-620/600 An Olympus 12.1MP mid-range compact DSLR, the E-620 and the feature-reduiced version, the E-600.

Old 5th July 2009

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
E620 cannot parse the fle

Only when working in RAW and with several CF cards, I am getting abut 10% file failure. I can convert them in Master 2 (which confirms an unexplained error) to JPEG's, but I use CS4 as my main manipilation program and the faulty RAW files report a 'file format module cannot parse the file.'

I have checked that the E620 hardware is up to date.

In summary, looks like a camera software problem, rather than a processing problem. Any ideas?

Ian
Old 5th July 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts
Re: E620 cannot parse the fle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianinsuffolk View Post
Only when working in RAW and with several CF cards, I am getting abut 10% file failure. I can convert them in Master 2 (which confirms an unexplained error) to JPEG's, but I use CS4 as my main manipilation program and the faulty RAW files report a 'file format module cannot parse the file.'

I have checked that the E620 hardware is up to date.

In summary, looks like a camera software problem, rather than a processing problem. Any ideas?

Ian
Which version of Olympus Master are you using? Only the new version 2.2 released in the last few days is properly compatible wit the E-620.

Check the for updates in from the HELP drop down menu.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 5th July 2009

Ian

I can confim that Master 2 did an update to 2.2 before I did a camera update (which confirmed that I did not need an update). All very circular!

Thanks

Ian
Old 5th July 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If it wasn't for the same thing happening on several different CF cards I would have gussed at the card being at fault. Have you by any chance tried formatting the cards both via card reader + computer and in camera?

Another possibility is the fault being included / added when transfering the images to your computer - have you tried using the USB cable as well as a CF card reader and vice versa? and do both result in the same error with the same files?. Also it would be worth trying other software to transfer the images from card to computer just incase that is at fault - best bet is to just use windows explorer (or mac equivalent) just to rule out the possibility of Adobe Bridge / or other DAM software causing problems (if you do use anything like that).

After that it might be worth uploading one of the affected files somewhere for us to look at.

Paul.
Old 5th July 2009

I always use explorer to transfer files and have downloaded over 1700 .ORF files from my E510 with no problems!

I use a USB lead from E620 to PC but will try the inbuilt PC card reader and the formatting ideas.

Thanks, Paul for your thoughts....

Ian
Old 6th July 2009

Latest 'research' suggests that my Toshiba EA60-191 laptop, although fine with E510 RAW file, is marginal in processing the larger E620 files. Just processed two batches of shots, on the one of the same CF cards and loaded onto my high spec PC with no problems.

Will spend time on this tomorrow to confirm and would then suggest that more research on the 'minimum spec' computer for E620 RAW files might be profitable.

Thanks for the posts, all of which are helping me in the right direction......

Ian
Old 6th July 2009
Archphoto

I suspect, reading your story, that the internal memory of the computer/laptop and the lack of it can cause a problem.
Or at least the memory settings on them.

With my old laptop, a Pentium 4 with 512 Mb internal memory it would take ages to process one RAW file, on the latest with dual processor and 3 Gb internal memory it takes seconds.....

Peter