Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 22nd August 2018

Liked 3,378 Times in 1,818 Posts
Re: Angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
The speeding / burglary thing is so true but why? Like you said, deserted motorway, safe conditions, only likely to kill yourself yet itís somehow seen as worse than a burglary which can totally mess up peopleís lives for good.
Something is completely out of balance somewhere, priorities all wrong it would seem.
The traffic police love good chase! If your car is better than they can afford personally you are in deep trouble.

Harold
Naughty Nigel (22nd August 2018)
Old 22nd August 2018

Liked 2,515 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
The traffic police love good chase! If your car is better than they can afford personally you are in deep trouble.

Harold
The police used to enjoy a good chase, especially the motorcycle police. The more enlightened officers would point out how you could improve your riding style, road positioning and so forth. The worst you could usually expect was a good 'finger wagging' at the roadside in view of your friends but it all seems to be about targets and quotas now.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 22nd August 2018

Quote:
I would have agreed with you about the radio but it has gone downhill recently and there is a current debate about why Radio 4 "Today" is losing listeners. It's quite simple, interviewers are deeply in love with the sound of their own voice and drown out what interviewees are trying to say. Most of the Radio 4 comedy is now dire, unfunny and infantile.

Harold
Yes, I have noticed that. I think it is the Paxo effect where interviewers seem to think they are cross examining interviewees, often whilst trying to put their own views across.

Radio 3 is good though if you pick the right time.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 22nd August 2018

Liked 767 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:

Harold
Probably true but itís a pretty poor show whenís ones fate is determined by envy! Bring back Dixon of Dock Green! Iím convinced times were better in some ways then. Others less so.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (22nd August 2018)
Old 22nd August 2018

Liked 1,731 Times in 1,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Just one instance of driving at 120 MPH + on a deserted motorway is far more likely to result in a jail term than burglary or violent offending.
Gulp!

Jim
Old 23rd August 2018

Liked 767 Times in 525 Posts

Gulp indeed!
Something is badly screwed / skewed when motoring offences get prioritised over burglary and violent crime. Reading in the news today about delays affecting ambulance arriving at patient (many hours and exactly this affected my mother who broke her leg in a fall recently). The same news described a new traffic camera which has pulled in a million pounds worth of fines in a few weeks. Yes, I realise we’re talking about an automated system compared with a system manned by people but FFS, it feels like the whole country is getting more broken by the day. Still, looking on the bright side, MPs can still get their £400 / month food allowance, so all’s well where it matters!
Old 23rd August 2018

Durham and Cleveland County Councils recently spent £3.2 million on four new speed camera vans equipped with infrared cameras allowing them to persecute drivers during the hours of darkness. All in the interests of road safety of course.

However, during the bad weather earlier this year there were numerous traffic accidents on the A19 trunk road because the road had not been salted. The council blamed government cuts for the lack of cash to spend on road grit (and filling potholes).

Even if the camera vans were effective they do nothing to deter people driving whilst unlicensed, or in stolen, uninsured and untaxed vehicles, which in my view are far more likely to cause accidents than a Rep pushing the speed limit on his way home late at night. Added to which, the Rep is far more likely to be contributing to society than the toerags described above.

We really do seem to have a two-tier justice system in this country. Get caught speeding in a taxed and insured vehicle and they will throw the book at you. Meanwhile, if you get caught speeding whilst banned and driving a vehicle without tax, insurance or MOT they will tell you nicely not to do it again.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
TimP (23rd August 2018)
Old 23rd August 2018

Liked 106 Times in 58 Posts

Regarding 'toe rags' and 'disruptive pupils' we used to have 'Approved Schools' and 'Borstals', didn't we ?

What happened to them ?

I remember an 'Approved School' near where I lived and our school a football match against theirs. They came from all over the country, none were local.

David
Old 23rd August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewi9 View Post
Regarding 'toe rags' and 'disruptive pupils' we used to have 'Approved Schools' and 'Borstals', didn't we ?

What happened to them ?

I remember an 'Approved School' near where I lived and our school a football match against theirs. They came from all over the country, none were local.

David
I think they closed years ago, with those involved 'integrated' into mainstream education. There are still a number of Young Offenders Institutions but you only get sent to one of those if remanded or on the orders of a court.

Borstals and 'approved schools' were effectively boarding schools for naughty boys, but I think students were allowed some freedom so it would make sense for them to be located well away from home. I also suspect that in many cases 'home' was the problem.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 30th August 2018

Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,467 Posts
Liked 1,457 Times in 931 Posts

If you have money then you will be fined; if you have a job or a family life then you will be jailed; if you have neither then these are not punishments but an infringment of your personal welfare and will not stop you re-offending anyway. Thats how it works I think.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
wornish (30th August 2018)