Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Motion pictures - video and animation > Movie mode - technical discussions

Movie mode - technical discussions Still imaging is complicated enough but for most of us video and movie making is a whole new world to get to grips with - here is the place to request help and advice and to post it too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th November 2013

Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
30fps and PAL

I really only dabble in video, and then I've used the GH2 which can be set to a 50fps frame rate. But both Olympus and Fuji are based around 30fps. I've looked through the tutorial and found that useful, and I can understand the origins of flicker when 30fps is used in lighting that flickers at 25/50 per sec. However, what I'm not clear about is how 30fps footage plays on a tv designed for PAL (or 24fps for that matter). Do you get flicker, or does the movie go a little bit slower (faster). Or does the tv just adjust its frame rate to match? Video technology is a whole new ball-game to me and I don't know enough about it. Could one of you video techies explain what goes on please?

(I can never think of anything witty to say when under pressure!)

GH2, G50, various m4/3rds lenses, Fuji X-T1 system

My website: www.icimaging.co.uk