Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 13th September 2013

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts
Re: Save the date - 12th September

Just back from my easy 5am trip to Gatwick.Just a couple from last nights event sadly not with the E-M1 but with my E-M5 and the 14-54.

One thing I wanted to mention is how much better the build quality on the E-M1 feels than the E-M5,much more solid feeling and the buttons are so much bigger.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to andym For This Useful Post:
Ian (13th September 2013)
Old 13th September 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbutch View Post
Thanks Ian and Mark for the chance to have a fiddle with the EM1 this afternoon
so what do i think? Its a winner the handling is far better than the EM5 with and without the battery pack, i tried it with my 12-60 & 35-100 and both appeared responsive on a par or better than my E30 in the fairly dim room. Handled the 12-40 briefly and it felt good but as DerekC mentioned the 12-60 works so no immediate need
I could see me now replacing my E30s

any downsides? The one thing i dont like is the battery and the fact that you have to remove the battery pack to change the 2nd battery- i think this will be a pain on an event (School prom typ 1200 shots 3 or 4 batteries 2 with the E30)

Dave
I think I shall have to start a new business supplying external high capacity 9V DC battery packs that plug into the grip's 9V port

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 13th September 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonknee View Post
Thank you to Ian and Olympus for arranging today. I am now very glad I pre-ordered this little gem. There are a lot of controls to get used to and lots of settings to assign to them. I think EM-5 users have a head start on this whereas coming from an E-system the plethora of focus options, in particular, is difficult to get to grips with.

Talking of grips my larger hands can't hold an EM-5 comfortably. The E520 always nestled quite nicely for me and the EM-1 was immediately comfortable too. In fact I realised that very quickly I was not thinking about the ergonomics which means it's right for me.

With the extra grip attached it is a pretty substantial and serious looking device.
Love the 1-2 switch to change the control wheel mode
Viewfinder - wow.

The two functions buttons on the front are a genius idea since those finger tips do nothing other wise. You can assign image zoom and focus peaking to one of each of these and quickly have a very capable system with an OM lens or whatever.

It took lovely pictures with my 50/2 (sorry I did not have a SD card of my own). It focused it quicker than my E520, it did not hunt as much and it did not get "stuck".

The other plus for me is that I could white balance on my blue jeans. The E-520/420 just say "WB error" when you try and do this. A real pain for underwater, available light, photography.

The EM-1 is shaping up to be a perfect camera for me.

Simon
I have found that the white balance programming works more reliably than an E-M5 in dim conditions using a white card under fluorescent light. The E-M1 got it right first time while the E-M5 took 4-5 goes (each time generating an error) and when it did accept the result there was still some excess yellow - you can see what I mean in my sample images from my Hands On article on FTU here:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2013/09/o...on_preview.php

And once again Simon - thanks for showing us how you dismantled your 50 f/2 after it went swimming in the sea and successfully DIY repaired it - just amazing. Any chance of you posting the pic of the parts you showed us last night?

Ian

Old 13th September 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
I too would like to say a big thank you to Ian and Mark and of course the girls, for today.

I have come away a little disappointed but to be honest I think it could well be down to my ignorance on how to set up the camera. Coming from an E3 & E5 the menu system and buttons were a little confusing to me. I was very interested in seeing how the 50-200swd lens perform but could not get it to snap the way it does on my E5. I tried the CAF and CAF + tracking and it seemed to have a mind of its own when out on the street but I am sure that must be me. My experience was that comparable of the 70-300ed lens on an E3 in terms of the speed with which it moved the lens

The focus peeking worked well on mFT lens but nobody could get it to work on non-Oly lenses. It was not working on the bigma. Since reading up it seems that one of the function buttons has to be assigned to peaking. That was not obvious by scanning through the menus.

On a positive note it did have a lot of features that I liked It will require a really good study of the manual though.

It was good to see folk on here.

John
John
Hi John - I hope to get an answer for you soon. We did get focus peaking working on some Olympus Four Thirds lenses eventually. It's certainly not trivial to find the right combination of options and you need to assign a button for it to work.

Ian

Old 13th September 2013

Liked 897 Times in 409 Posts
Wink Re: Save the date - 12th September

As John and i spent some time together yesterday I must echo his sense of confusion - or perhaps I helped create it Although the chance to touch and wander in the street with the camera for few minutes was very nice I came away unsure of what I had discovered. I took along some challenging lenses to autofocus - my bigma and 150 macro thinking Olympus would have plenty of standard lenses. I was a little startled when mark dished out brand new bodies and said he thought we'd have our own lenses. So in abysmal light with a camera I'd never seen and my tricky lenses I was grateful when John came along with a more sensible lens in the 50-200. But we were both strugling with the challenge of huge numbers of options and no real guidance and frankly quite uncertain results.

It takes me a while to get used to anything new and I do not feel I learn best by trying to find out what everything does by guesswork. Perhaps others do?

Having slept on it I think this camera does a little bit more of what the EM5 does well and adds in some things I couldn't actually see working (focus peaking and working through an ipad) which if they did work would make a very useful difference for me and make this worth buying.

But I am not sure it fills in the biggest blank spots which for me are getting the best out of long lenses and focus tracking. It may do - but it would be hard to know after yesterday I suspect it will take several months and a lot of changes in technique before I could say.

What does strike me though is when left the launch of the E3 I had no doubts at all - it felt both natural to use and an instant buy.

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
I too would like to say a big thank you to Ian and Mark and of course the girls, for today.

I have come away a little disappointed but to be honest I think it could well be down to my ignorance on how to set up the camera. Coming from an E3 & E5 the menu system and buttons were a little confusing to me. I was very interested in seeing how the 50-200swd lens perform but could not get it to snap the way it does on my E5. I tried the CAF and CAF + tracking and it seemed to have a mind of its own when out on the street but I am sure that must be me. My experience was that comparable of the 70-300ed lens on an E3 in terms of the speed with which it moved the lens

The focus peeking worked well on mFT lens but nobody could get it to work on non-Oly lenses. It was not working on the bigma. Since reading up it seems that one of the function buttons has to be assigned to peaking. That was not obvious by scanning through the menus.

On a positive note it did have a lot of features that I liked It will require a really good study of the manual though.

It was good to see folk on here.

John
John

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 13th September 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you to Ian and Mark at Olympus for a very worthwhile and useful time.
Interesting that some people are still not quite convinced by the focusing.
For me it seems much better than the EM5/adapter combination. So I am pretty happy about that! Does anyone have any thoughts/feedback on white balance?
Here are a couple of shots of mine. They both came out different with regard to colour and I have adjusted them and they still look different!
I look forward to trying the EM1 out in concert hall or theatre!
Sisi

The Following User Says Thank You to Sisi For This Useful Post:
dbutch (13th September 2013)
Old 13th September 2013
Administrator

Hi Sisi, I think one major problem with last night was that everyone was experimenting with settings and I expect odd settings are accidentally experienced by many.

I see that the two shots of yours were not from the same sequence so they might have been taken with different bodies.

You will almost certainly have had to use the JPEGs since there is almost no E-M1 RAW conversion support available yet (although I think Olympus Viewer 3 has now been released with an E-M1 compatibility update).

By the way I hope your recalcitrant MacBook is now behaving itself!

Ian

Old 13th September 2013

Liked 122 Times in 80 Posts

Given up on Flickr... these are now in the e-group Gallery:

Straight from E-M1 (but resized)

Full size close up of Zoe's eyes (crop from above):

These were taken with the m43 75mm lens... nice and sharp!

Ref. White Balance - the settings on some of the cameras were all over the place - a result of people experimenting. I switched to Auto mode for the above.

Steve.
Old 13th September 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Ian
yes, that's probably right, re white balance settings!
My MacBook seems to have recovered itself today. Luckily I do have a desktop as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi Sisi, I think one major problem with last night was that everyone was experimenting with settings and I expect odd settings are accidentally experienced by many.

I see that the two shots of yours were not from the same sequence so they might have been taken with different bodies.

You will almost certainly have had to use the JPEGs since there is almost no E-M1 RAW conversion support available yet (although I think Olympus Viewer 3 has now been released with an E-M1 compatibility update).

By the way I hope your recalcitrant MacBook is now behaving itself!

Ian
Old 13th September 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, it is lovely and sharp. But the auto does look rather pink to me.
However, as you and Ian say everyone was experimenting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
Given up on Flickr... these are now in the e-group Gallery:

Straight from E-M1 (but resized)

Full size close up of Zoe's eyes (crop from above):

These were taken with the m43 75mm lens... nice and sharp!

Ref. White Balance - the settings on some of the cameras were all over the place - a result of people experimenting. I switched to Auto mode for the above.

Steve.
Old 13th September 2013

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Re: White Balance... ha ha there will have been at least one EM-1 set to custom white balance on set of dark blue jeans!

Re: Focusing with 43 glass... I am reading the manual and starting to understand concept of some of the different focus modes and burst shoot modes. There are lots of options and hence even more combination of settings. Not all of the combinations are going to work flawlessly with all the glass that is available. I suspect that true 43 performance will not be known until owners can spend some quality time with the system.

For instance I also now realise that my attempt to do a sequential tracked burst of somebody moving towards the camera (with a 25mm pancake) failed as I set it to Sequential H. According to the manual "focus, exposure and white balance are fixed at the values for the first shot". Doh. Sequntial L should be used to start with though it appears other focus options wil affect how this behaves.

However I did like the idea of C-AF+TR (AF Tracking). It locks onto a feature in the image then tracks like a Star Wars missile locking system - whether you move or it moves. To Ian's surprise this worked with 43 lenses and indicated it was using the PDAF points to do the actual focusing!

Simon
Old 13th September 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Simon, you took the photos of myself I believe - they are very pink! Do you remember what you had it set on?

Sisi

Quote:
Re: White Balance... ha ha there will have been at least one EM-1 set to custom white balance on set of dark blue jeans!

Re: Focusing with 43 glass... I am reading the manual and starting to understand concept of some of the different focus modes and burst shoot modes. There are lots of options and hence even more combination of settings. Not all of the combinations are going to work flawlessly with all the glass that is available. I suspect that true 43 performance will not be known until owners can spend some quality time with the system.

For instance I also now realise that my attempt to do a sequential tracked burst of somebody moving towards the camera (with a 25mm pancake) failed as I set it to Sequential H. According to the manual "focus, exposure and white balance are fixed at the values for the first shot". Doh. Sequntial L should be used to start with though it appears other focus options wil affect how this behaves.

However I did like the idea of C-AF+TR (AF Tracking). It locks onto a feature in the image then tracks like a Star Wars missile locking system - whether you move or it moves. To Ian's surprise this worked with 43 lenses and indicated it was using the PDAF points to do the actual focusing!

Simon
Old 13th September 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

The exif data is in the image.

50mm f/2 set at f/5, 1/15th of a second, ISO 1000, +0.3EV, no flash

White balance from blue denim by the look of it
The Following User Says Thank You to bilbo For This Useful Post:
Sisi (13th September 2013)
Old 13th September 2013

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Er, oh dear, probably the custom blue jeans one - as that was what I wanted to test, When underwater you want to restore the reds as the water absorbs the longer wavelengths of light at a faster rate than the shorter ones the deeper you go. You lose reds then yellows, through greens and are left with only blue. Interesting though as I would swear it did not look this pink on the LCD when we previewed it. Does the WB mode show up in the EXIF?
The Following User Says Thank You to simonknee For This Useful Post:
Sisi (13th September 2013)
Old 13th September 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, it just says Auto white Balance!

Quote:
Er, oh dear, probably the custom blue jeans one - as that was what I wanted to test, When underwater you want to restore the reds as the water absorbs the shorter wavelengths of light at a faster rate than the longer ones the deeper you go. You lose reds then yellows, through greens and are left with only blue. Interesting though as I would swear it did not look this pink on the LCD when we previewed it. Does the WB mode show up in the EXIF?