Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 14th January 2014

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
E-M1 and Canon 7D RAW file comparison

As my M1 is away in Portugal having a tiny bit of rubber stuck back on under warranty I have been using my 7D mainly for birding and E-PL3 for other subjects. Ever since I've had the 7D I've noticed that on first examination of the RAW file representation in LR the images appear softer and less contrasty than those from the M5 and M1, but that with post processing it is much easier to achieve a satisfactory result than with the OMD files. I can't explain why this is, the OMD files are less noisy than the Canon files but the noise appears more angular and more difficult to reduce without over-smoothing, whereas the Canon noise is more predictable. This is more apparent when a degree of sharpening is applied, especially as the Canon files need in general to be sharpened more.

Anyone with any experience of this or any views on it? When I get the M1 back I will try to do a comparison to post here.

David
Wee man (14th January 2014)
Old 14th January 2014

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: E-M1 and Canon 7D RAW file comparison

I find that CO Pro 7 is the best for ONE raw files at the moment. Corel is ok most of the time but ... lacking sometimes OLY3 is not bad but not a patch on CO Pro 7

Sorry thats all I can say

I was hoping you had taken a bird with both cameras for a direct comparison here
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 14th January 2014

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
I find that CO Pro 7 is the best for ONE raw files at the moment. Corel is ok most of the time but ... lacking sometimes OLY3 is not bad but not a patch on CO Pro 7

Sorry thats all I can say

I was hoping you had taken a bird with both cameras for a direct comparison here
Tried CO Pro7 and don't like it as much as LR. Snapheal, which is Mac specific and a very simple piece of software gives better sharpening and NR than LR but doesn't seem to preserve the Exif as far as I can make out.

When I get the M1 back from Olympus I will try to do a comparison. Interestingly E5 ORF is easier to deal with than M1 ORF with my limited skills.

David
Old 14th January 2014

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Hi David I have come to simular conclousions, my theory is the OMD files are more like film grain than digital noise, but interestingly I have printed a AŁ print of a iso6400 witout any noise reduction even though it showed as noise on the screen at 100% view, but the print did not show any noise pattern at all, so I came to the thought that it is not actually noise as we know it, as I see it if it dont show at 60% viewing size on the screen then it aint gonna show in print.

Dave
brian1208 (14th January 2014), Ian (14th January 2014)
The Following User Liked This Post:
brian1208 (14th January 2014)
Old 14th January 2014
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveart View Post
Hi David I have come to simular conclousions, my theory is the OMD files are more like film grain than digital noise, but interestingly I have printed a AŁ print of a iso6400 witout any noise reduction even though it showed as noise on the screen at 100% view, but the print did not show any noise pattern at all, so I came to the thought that it is not actually noise as we know it, as I see it if it dont show at 60% viewing size on the screen then it aint gonna show in print.

Dave
Of course on-screen viewing is important these days but when it comes to prints I always find that this medium is more forgiving!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 14th January 2014

Liked 468 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
...I can't explain why this is, the OMD files are less noisy than the Canon files but the noise appears more angular and more difficult to reduce without over-smoothing, ...

David
I only use use LR & have no experience of Canon files but have noticed this sort of 'grittiness' in ORFs ever since changing from E-3 to E-M5 and now also with the E-M1. It can be very noticeable in Landscapes containing areas of rough vegetation in the mid-distance and the balance of sharpening/NR is trickier than for E-3 files.
I had assumed that the cause is reduction/removal of the AA filter in the OM cameras and possibly the change in Moire removal algorithms in LR4 & 5.
Old 14th January 2014

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

this is an interesting question David, but it's more difficult to answer.

there are so many elements at play

as Chris observes, those who moved into the E3 (then out again ) saw this the other way round! fundamentally you got soft files that responded fantastically to subsequent processing.

the e510 produced the opposite.

the AA filter is one of the few elements that delivers to the RAW file, and therefore gets the main focus when considering the RAW file output.

if you deliver consistent processing to files from cameras with significantly different AA filters then you will get different outputs - in many ways if you provide sympathetic processing settings you will get similar outputs (within a general range of subjects).