Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-400

Olympus E-400 E-400 specific discussion.

Old 2nd August 2008
muckup61

upgrade or not

i have an e400 and was thinking of up grading to e510 pros and cons please
Old 3rd August 2008
Henk

Re: upgrade or not

The only cons I can think of are the slightly bigger size and weight. I have the 510 and it is a very fine camera, the IS is a great help with longer lenses.
I think you would not regret the upgrade.
Old 3rd August 2008
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I agree, the E-510 really is a superb bit of kit. But why not go all the way and get the E-520? Unless, of course, you're getting a really good deal on the 510??

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 3rd August 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had the e400 and part exchanged it for the e510. The IS is the main attraction and does work very well, and the e510 isn't really any bigger apart from the grip - it also has mirror lock up and several other extra menu features. However, the e400 has a Kodak sensor which is important to some people; it also has more steps in it's ISO settings and arguably better dynamic range. It's a desirable camera in America because it was never sold there, so you might get a good price if you ebay it. If I had the choice again, I'd keep it and get an e3!
Old 3rd August 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: upgrade or not

Can't comment on the 400. Bought the e510 with twin lens kit last Autumn to go to South Africa with so this was my entry to digital photography. Previous experience was with an OM10 many years ago and various point and shoots in between. From a virtual beginners point of view I am very pleased. Have not regretted the choice over other manufacturers or the 300 and 400's that were being discounted at the time. It is durable as well, I have to confess to dropping it twice as I like to carry in hand as opposed to on a neck strap.

Have added the 70-300 to the lens kit, this is a good addition.

So no drawbacks yet.
Old 3rd August 2008
Administrator

Liked 553 Times in 300 Posts

If you do upgrade you will find the IS VERY useful and the increased direct access to options very nice. I was frustrated when I tried the 420 out at an e-Group event - I missed this Sooo much

I can't comment on other comparisons because I've never used a 400 series other than that event

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/