Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Stock Shooter

Liked 60 Times in 36 Posts
Luminar 3

For a long time now I have had a subscription Adobe Creative Cloud. I use LR for initial PP and finish the images off in Photoshop.

Payment by subscription is a regular annoyance, but a greater annoyance is the cumbersome slow moving software and the need to use two separate programs. I am conscious that I probably only use about 10% of what the software can do.

Looking round for alternative software, I have now purchased Skylum Luminar 3, and after a couple of hours of familiarization I am favorably impressed.

Very important is the catalogue. It works better and faster than the LR one.

For simple smartening up of images, it has a many "filters". All the functions that I use in LR and PS are available and work well, and much faster than the Adobe equivalent.

I wondered whether anyone else here has tried this software?

There is one problem that I have not yet solved, when preparing stock images, I add the Caption and Keywords in "File Info" in PS. I cannot find an equivalent "File Info" in Luminar, although it can save files in many different formats.

For my stock photography I need to upload as jpg's, but would much prefer to add captions and keywords before they go.

Any suggestion for a small program that could open a jpg and allow insertion of that data would be appreciated

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,650 Times in 815 Posts
Re: Luminar 3

I also use the Adobe CC photography bundle LR + PS

I have tried Luninar 3 and it seems like a great program for simple smartening up of images I agree. However it cant handle the more complex stuff that I need for my astro images which is why I stick with PS, maybe one day I'll change.

I hope you are aware that Luminar 4. is coming out next month with even more features, you might be able to claim a free upgrade.

Cant help with the File Info question.

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Stock Shooter

I can understand that you would need LR + PS for astrophotography, but I do not need it for the stuff I do. I am still working through Luminar 3, it just took me half an hour to find where sharpening is. . .

I paid for Luminar 3 (91) but this includes update to Luminar 4 when it comes out.

I keep details of my stock images on a spreadsheet. If I cannot find a way to access "File Info" before uploading, I can prepare the words on the spreadsheet and copy them across into the images when they are cleared for going on sale.

On a similar theme, when I bought my PC within the last year, the only way I could get Microsoft Office was to buy a 1-year subscription of Office 365 for 53.

On another computer I am using Libre Office (free). I doubt whether I will pay for the Microsoft subscription again. . .

Old 4 Weeks Ago

I just had a look around and found this free tool that will allow you to add keywords and other info to your final image.

https://hvdwolf.github.io/pyExifToolGUI/

I have not tried it myself so proceed with caution. I have used the terminal based tool that this is based on and that is the gold standard for exif reading and writing.

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
OM USer (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Stock Shooter

Thanks for that, it looks as though it might do the job. . .

I am off into hospital today, but I will try it when I get back.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,447 Times in 1,336 Posts
Liked 2,436 Times in 1,154 Posts

Wish you well Peter. Hope to see you back here soon.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Stock Shooter

Thanks for the good wishes, which seem to have worked! This was an operation to remove a bladder tumor. It was very large and I had a first operation last month, when the surgeon decided to stop half way through. So this one was more worrying than the last, but went very well.

Absolutely top marks to our local NHS, their work was done promptly and well, everyone there was helpful, kindly and cheerful.

Odd thing happened when I was packing up to leave, just by my bed was a tablet computer. I thought "I don't remember bringing that", and put it in my bag.

When I got it home I found it was an NHS iPad. Very odd, because when I was there I never saw anyone using an iPad.

I'll take it back this morning.

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Stock Shooter

To get back on the subject of software, I picked up information from this from Peter Forsgard, a Finnish Olympus Ambassador:

I have downloaded the new (?) Olympus Workspacet and find it has a library function like LR.

I fear it will only work with my Olympus Cameras, but I also have a Panasonic GX80 and a Ricoh GR2.

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Stock Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
I just had a look around and found this free tool that will allow you to add keywords and other info to your final image.

https://hvdwolf.github.io/pyExifToolGUI/

I have not tried it myself so proceed with caution. I have used the terminal based tool that this is based on and that is the gold standard for exif reading and writing.
It is a bit dull outside, so I have been working on my software experiments.
The Exif editing software you suggested was a no go, neither Windows 10 nor my anti-virus software would let me go there.

However I found one called Exif Pilot which has been accepted and seems to do the trick: https://www.colorpilot.com/exif.html.

The Olympus Workspace works OK, but only edits *.ORF files. All my archived files have been converted to *.DNG so that does not work for me.

I am making good progress with Luminar 3 so I think that I have a good chance of producing my stock images without Adobe.

I will test it when I have more images to PP. If I can do two successful uploads without using Adobe, I will cancel my subscription. . .

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjphoto59 View Post
It is a bit dull outside, so I have been working on my software experiments.
The Exif editing software you suggested was a no go, neither Windows 10 nor my anti-virus software would let me go there.

However I found one called Exif Pilot which has been accepted and seems to do the trick: https://www.colorpilot.com/exif.html.

The Olympus Workspace works OK, but only edits *.ORF files. All my archived files have been converted to *.DNG so that does not work for me.

I am making good progress with Luminar 3 so I think that I have a good chance of producing my stock images without Adobe.

I will test it when I have more images to PP. If I can do two successful uploads without using Adobe, I will cancel my subscription. . .
Sorry the link I gave was dodgy I just did a google search and it looked promising - as I said I hadn't actually tried it.

Glad you have managed to come up with an alternative solution.

My Flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,731 Times in 1,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjphoto59 View Post
Thanks for the good wishes, which seem to have worked! This was an operation to remove a bladder tumor. It was very large and I had a first operation last month, when the surgeon decided to stop half way through. So this one was more worrying than the last, but went very well.
Very gratifying news - I hope that you make a full recovery!

Jim
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,731 Times in 1,113 Posts

On a slightly related subject which may be of interest, is steganography. This enables the invisible embedding of data into an image. The data can also be encrypted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography

There's a free tool available for Linux and I'm sure there must be equivalents for other OS'es.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
OM USer (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Stock Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Very gratifying news - I hope that you make a full recovery!

Jim
I have an out-patients appointment in about 10 days, when I hope to get some idea what further treatment may be required. Fingers crossed it will be nothing, but I think it may turn out to be more than that. . .