Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 27th April 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
RM-CB1 Remote Control

Since buying my E-3 and discovering I'd need another cabled remote I checked the cost of an Olympus RM-CB1. I couldn't believe it sells at 80-85 for what is basically a simple switch mechanism. I eventually plumped for a lookalike from Hong Kong for 2.90 delivered and it works perfectly. Someone needs to seriously look at accessory pricing for Oly kit.
Old 27th April 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: RM-CB1 Remote Control

I agree, but my (extensive and expensive) experience of remotes is that some 3rd party ones will work perfectly, some will work for a while, and some will never work. Genuine Olympus ones just work and work. But they are overpriced.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 27th April 2011

Liked 126 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
I agree, but my (extensive and expensive) experience of remotes is that some 3rd party ones will work perfectly, some will work for a while, and some will never work. Genuine Olympus ones just work and work. But they are overpriced.
I purchased a cheapie from Hong Kong for my E-30 off Ebay but it needed a bit of filing to make it work smoothly. Although these cheap versions do the job they just don't have the feel for the genuine item. You get what you pay for. When the plug on my RM-CB1 fell apart Olympus replaced the whole remote control at no charge even though it was years out of warranty. You also have to be careful with RM-CB1 clones as some of them don't fit the camera socket properly and they push the socket into the body of the camera.

Steve
Old 27th April 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Absolutely you get what you pay for. When it comes to accessories I always ask myself the same question(s) - does it have the same functionality,how much am I going to use it,do I really care about the inferior quality,and waht impact will it have on my photography.

Sometimes I go for the cheapo lookalike,other times I pay top dollar because I want regular and long term use.

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 30th April 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I understand what you guys are saying but in all honesty I think the price differential is unbelievable. It is a simple switch mechanism housed in a plastic casing - there are no complex electronics to it. I can understand the pricing rationale regarding entry level to pro level cameras and similarly lenses but a factor of 1:30 is mind boggling regarding the remote switch. I'd be the first to admit that the cheap one is too cheap - I calculated that the postage alone was 0.56 of the 2.90 - and I don't know how they can make them for that money. I'd say that if Olympus were charging say 25 for this it would be a reasonable price from both sides point of view ie the consumer and the provider. The Canon RS 60E3 seems to be priced at 24.99 but can actually be had from Amazon at 8.50.

Last edited by jamie allan; 30th April 2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 30th April 2011

Liked 126 Times in 68 Posts

I agree Jamie. The price of the Olympus item is ridiculous, the Nikon remote for the D90 is 26. My son purchased my RM-CB1 from B&H in New York several years ago and cost the equivalent of around 27 when over here it was about 48 IIRC. The current B&H price is $49 (29) + sales tax. Warehouse Express current price is 80.99. Something is very wrong

My only argument for the genuine item is the quality and the assurance it won't damage my E-3 and E-1 but the price differential is just incredible.

There is surely a market for someone here in the UK to make a good quality copy at an inbetween realistic price.

Steve