Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 9th June 2008

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts
Faded rose

I know this is an usual subject but would appreciate any feedback or comments.
Thank you

Old 9th June 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Faded rose

Nicely caught - nice details/colour texture on Rose and Stem, it is the kind or Rose photo I try to take and usually like.

That's the rub, usually like, this leaves me a bit cold, as there is nothing wrong with the Rose I think it must be the background, not sure if a warmer colour would help.

Maybe it's just not for me, as there is nothing actually to 'criticise'.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 9th June 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,621 Times in 934 Posts

Ah! My favourite type of image "Judge Bait"

All to often images like this when placed before judges receive less than favorable comments. This is mainly due to the preconceived views that images of flowers should show the "Perfect" bloom. Almost always they comment on the flower itself rather than the image that portrays the flower.

This "Still Life" study of the subject has been approached in a way that presents almost the representation of a "pressed" flower. The lighting and choice of a flat monotone background has given it a semi two dimensional look, in particular at the edges of the flower.

It is very sharp, with a full DoF. The exposure is, for me, a little bit under, but I also feel this is coming from the plain background rather than the subject.

Technically this is very good and works well as a record of the development of the techniques used to achieve quality images.

As a standalone "Picture", It's not one I'd want to frame. I'm also really looking forward to the follow up postings on the Story of this image and where you are with this type and style of image.

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 9th June 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,527 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Nicely caught - nice details/colour texture on Rose and Stem, it is the kind or Rose photo I try to take and usually like.

That's the rub, usually like, this leaves me a bit cold, as there is nothing wrong with the Rose I think it must be the background, not sure if a warmer colour would help.

Maybe it's just not for me, as there is nothing actually to 'criticise'.

Nick
Nick is spot on. This is a good choice of subject and the photograph is technically sound and well composed. You cannot fault it and many less experienced photographers aspire to take pictures like this. But it lacks that little spark of creativity, originality and impact that makes the viewer draw breathe and involuntarily utter the word, "Wow!"

There are two recent pictures on this forum that are perfect examples of images that have "something extra," lifting them above the "very good" level onto an entirely different plane.

One is Garrie's unbelievably good picture of the Hoover factory floor. The other is your own fantastic "Off the Wall" image, Shirley.

There is certainly nothing wrong with your rose picture, unlike Nick I think the background colour is a good choice. But I'm not jealous of it, unlike the two other pictures I've mentioned, which I would almost trade my place in Heaven to have taken myself!

John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there ó even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 10th June 2008

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Hello

I really like images like this, but prefer my flowers in a more "advanced state" of faded.

It is nicley exposed and very sharp as already pointed out, however I find the lighting to a bit harsh and something does not sit right. I think it is the use of the pale blue background, it just seems to clash with the colours of the rose.

Kit: Olympus OM4, OMD E5 MkII And some other junk to make it all work.
Old 10th June 2008

Liked 1,730 Times in 1,112 Posts

The background looks like it's been 'Photoshoped' in, and although it is a 'receeding' colour, is too obtrusive. I'd suggest that if you want to paste in a background you make it a light or mid grey.

You also missed a bit of background between the upper bracts!

Jim
Old 10th June 2008

Thanks everybody.
I took this very quickly last night, I was about to throw the flowers away and thought there might be a pic in it.
I tried various lighting options but as the sun was disappearing fast I had to use some flash, which I tried from different angles and by bouncing it.
The background was a translucent box lid with a coloured piece of card behind it but I might try photoshopping a different colour in and see what it looks like.
The flower has been thrown away now so no chance of going back and doing it again, but I might go back to the many versions I took last night!!
Old 10th June 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think pictures that show the process of decay are particularly interesting, especially since they pick up on a common theme in 16th-18th century art:

"...Still-life paintings allowed artists to combine allegorical representations of the brevity of life, and the inevitability of death and decay, with religious symbols, Biblical references, and dazzlingly realistic depictions of familiar objects and contemporary foodstuffs. Today, their veiled pictorial language has become unfamiliar to us..." http://www.louvre.fr.axime.com

I also think this would work better with a different background. On my monitor, the blue is too dominant, and overwhelms the subtle colours of the fading flower. I wonder how it would look on black?

It moves me to try and grab the next batch of flowers before my wife throws them in the bin!
Old 10th June 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughofBardfield View Post
It moves me to try and grab the next batch of flowers before my wife throws them in the bin!
But think - a batterred bouquet on a bed of discarded newspapers in a shiny chrome bin - what better statement about transience/decay/mortality could you want?

(mayhaps a headline about Gordon Brown just visible)

(mind you I'm sure it has been done)

Nick

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 10th June 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
I might try photoshopping a different colour in and see what it looks like.
How about selecting the background colour and de-saturating it?

Jim
Old 10th June 2008

Had a go at changing the background, any further thoughts?

When I have time I am going to have a go at creating a pop art style poster using this image.
Old 10th June 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
Had a go at changing the background, any further thoughts?
I like the grey background best - but then I would, as I suggested it!
;^)

BTW, it _was_ supposed to be grey, wasn't it? Only it looks yellowish on my calibrated monitor.

Jim
Old 10th June 2008

The middle one is pale grey on my monitor, the bottom one is pale green/yellowish.
Old 10th June 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

For me it's a toss up between the 2'nd (putty?) and the 1'st Black.

The black has more initial impact (wall poster); while the 'putty' is more subtle, closer to a book presentation.

I think the yellow is too close to some of the Roses colours, so it steals some of its strengths.

Hope that helps

Nick

www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 10th June 2008

Now for something completely different.
I have never done anything like this before.
Maybe I have just had too much to drink!