Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Photo challenges

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

Old 12th December 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: The 2009 End of Year “Open Challenge”

Some more excellent shots arrived today. Come everyone; you must have something you would like to share!

Kind regards

Graydon
Old 18th December 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Bumped for this weekend...

I'm sure there's still more out there. Come on everyone; get searching.

Graydon
Old 19th December 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

22 - Excellent shots so far ... come guys and girls; not long now!
Old 20th December 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesgj View Post
22 - Excellent shots so far ... come guys and girls; not long now!
Some of us are still hoping that we'll take some good shots, even if the evidence is so far against it.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 21st December 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think you arebeing modest Nick.
Old 27th December 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Okay the turkey has been roasted, sandwiched and curried. We watched A Christmas Carol and the Queens speech. Relatives have visited, and gone home. All childrens toys have been put together, or are ready to be taken back for exchange/repair tomorrow. Gadgets have been played with and, possibly, had their manuals read too. And all Wii injuries have been treated (long story)

Sooo it must be time to have a concerted effort to look through your shots and contribute just at least one image which you have felt happy with.

Old 29th December 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,115 Posts

Hi Graydon,

Just got round to sending mine, hope I've done it right!

There's still time for others who haven't yet entered to join in.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 29th December 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all,

Flurry of activity today with more beautiful photos in my inbox. I will be sending confirmation emails out in a few minutes.

Thanks to all those who have entered so far. I think we have a fantatsic collection to vote on and still two days to go!

Graydon
Old 29th December 2009

Liked 724 Times in 484 Posts

Well done Graydon, glad we've got a good selection.

Thinking about the numbers, would publishing them in a list in a forum message be the best way to present them? It's OK when there aren't so many but it could get cumbersome with lots. I don't know whether this is practical or even possible, but could a gallery be set up so that only you can upload or update entries but we can all see them (once submission is closed of course)?

Cheers ... John
Old 29th December 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi John,

Hadn't really given this a great deal of thought as I assumed I could just treat it in the same way as the monthly challenges???

Now we do have rather a lot of pictures but I think I could still compile all the votes cast as emails to my google mail.

That said if there is a better way I'm all ears! I've noticed another site where a new thread is started and you can cast a vote for the photo of your choice (the photos being posted in another new thread) Not sure if this site can do that, but maybe Ian or the guys could comment.

Anyway:

Plan A
1) I'll post all the images into a gallery (may be the admin guys could do this for me and allow only me to post in there??)
2) I'll link them into a thread.
3) I'll gather votes in my email, keeping emails for audit purposes!

By the way, even more photos arrived after my last post .... I think I may have woken a sleeping beast with all my threads, red signatures and bumps It's going to be a busy new year!#

Graydon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
Well done Graydon, glad we've got a good selection.

Thinking about the numbers, would publishing them in a list in a forum message be the best way to present them? It's OK when there aren't so many but it could get cumbersome with lots. I don't know whether this is practical or even possible, but could a gallery be set up so that only you can upload or update entries but we can all see them (once submission is closed of course)?

Cheers ... John
Old 30th December 2009

Liked 724 Times in 484 Posts

There are a couple of problems with just embedding the photos in a forum message when there are a lot of them.

First, they are in a fixed sequence and the only way to view them is to scroll up and down. This makes it rather difficult to compare, say the first and the twenty-fifth.

Second, all the images have to be downloaded every time you visit the thread. Even on a modern fast connection this can get a bit crunchy if there are lots of them.

When I ran the November comp, John the MusicMan helpfully set up a gallery that only I could update. I saved the images in it, then embedded the full images into the "voting" post. In retrospect, this was a bit cumbersome. I think the galleries are open to everybody to view, so you could include a link to the gallery. There is also the option to embed thumbnails in the message rather than the full images - unless you've got hundreds that could be a good aide memoire without causing too many problems. It would then be easy for us to open images that we want to compare in separate windows or tabs.

And related to voting - you could ask for the votes by forum private message rather than general email. That way you have a cast-iron guarantee that voters are forum members. It looks as if we are limited to 50 messages in total though - I don't know whether this is a hard limit or something that the forum admins could change for you.

Good luck! ... John
Old 30th December 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
.... I've noticed another site where a new thread is started and you can cast a vote for the photo of your choice (the photos being posted in another new thread) ....
On second thoughts, they also post the full results list top to bottom and as this is a fun competition and I will not post a full, overall ranking; it must be soul destroying if you don't get any or very few votes. I think it best if I provide the top three positions (retaining the actual vote emails for audit if necessary!) Hopefully maintaining the friendly nature of our site. I'm sure no one will disagree.
Old 30th December 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
There are a couple of problems with just embedding the photos in a forum message when there are a lot of them.

First, they are in a fixed sequence and the only way to view them is to scroll up and down. This makes it rather difficult to compare, say the first and the twenty-fifth.

Second, all the images have to be downloaded every time you visit the thread. Even on a modern fast connection this can get a bit crunchy if there are lots of them.

When I ran the November comp, John the MusicMan helpfully set up a gallery that only I could update. I saved the images in it, then embedded the full images into the "voting" post. In retrospect, this was a bit cumbersome. I think the galleries are open to everybody to view, so you could include a link to the gallery. There is also the option to embed thumbnails in the message rather than the full images - unless you've got hundreds that could be a good aide memoire without causing too many problems. It would then be easy for us to open images that we want to compare in separate windows or tabs.

And related to voting - you could ask for the votes by forum private message rather than general email. That way you have a cast-iron guarantee that voters are forum members. It looks as if we are limited to 50 messages in total though - I don't know whether this is a hard limit or something that the forum admins could change for you.

Good luck! ... John
Okay John,

Sounds good.

If John - the musicman - or Ian could set-up a gallery for me to update that would be great. Not sure about the 50 PM limit. I'd better go and empty my inbox now!

Graydon
Old 30th December 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Okay John,

Sounds good.

If John - the musicman - or Ian could set-up a gallery for me to update that would be great. Not sure about the 50 PM limit. I'd better go and empty my inbox now!

Graydon
There ya go... all done. New gallery created, with permissions for you Graydon to upload et al.

Shout if there's anything else you need.

Old 30th December 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks John. That was quick!

I'll go have a quick play.

Regards

Graydon