Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-420

Old 4th August 2009
supercelts7

Shutter Locking?

Hi,

Has anyone noticed that the shutter won't fire in certain situations on A, S & P modes and that the flash sometimes takes a hell of a long time to fire? I know it's a beginner's mistake I'm making - probably my combination of settings - but I'm damned if I can figure out what the problem is. I can override if I switch to manual but I'm not that hot with M mode yet.

Last week, I was on holiday in Ireland and my photos were going without a hitch, until I tried to take a close-up of my Dad in early evening sunlight and the shutter wouldn't fire. Not only was I mad but family laughed and that made me feel embarrassed.

Help?
Old 4th August 2009

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Re: Shutter Locking?

Hi, it sounds like the AF confirm is set on, when the AF confirm is set to ON, the camera won't fire until it gets AF confirm this is indicated by a bleep and a little red spot flashes on this usually happens in low light conditions or low contrast, you can turn this off in the menu, and do a manual focus in low light/

Dave
Old 4th August 2009
supercelts7

Thanks Dave, I'll check that right now.
Old 4th August 2009
supercelts7

I can't seem to find AF Confirm in the menu. Any pointers?
Old 4th August 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think there is any way to turn off AF Confirm in the E420 (or E410 / E510 for that matter) which can be a bit annoying in some rare cases. I'm not sure if it's possible with the E620 / E30 but I know it is possible with the E3. If completely failing to get a focus (due to low light or low contrast) is the problem then your only real option is to use MF or you could get a flash with the focus assist beam (FL36 / FL50 etc).

One other possibility (which sounds unlikely given what you've said) is that the camera is waiting for the flash to charge - with the flash popped up and switched on the camera will not fire until the flash is ready - which can be a few seconds if the flash is at full power and if the battery is low.

The best way to see which is casuing the problem is to try taking a flash photo using MF - if it fires straight away then you know that your camera was struggling to get a focus in the past and so will not have fired. If it doesn't then either the flash is not yet fully charged - (leave it a few seconds until you see the flash symbol lit in the View finder) or there is a possible problem with the camera/ pop up flash that needs looking at.
Old 4th August 2009
supercelts7

Thanks Paul. I was wondering about that.

I'm a complete novice (less than 1 year) and I have a feeling that I've just done something really stupid. I'm starting to get to grips with the Aperture, Shutter and ISO balance but I end up forgetting the basics at times (like taking the lens cap off ).
Old 4th August 2009

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Hi again I have the e510 and I am sure its the same on the e410 af confirm is spanner 1 it is called release priority if you turn this to OFF then this should do the trick.

Dave
Old 4th August 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveart View Post
Hi again I have the e510 and I am sure its the same on the e410 af confirm is spanner 1 it is called release priority if you turn this to OFF then this should do the trick.

Dave
You're right it is there on the E510 - that's something I've not noticed before, the last time I had use for it predates having the E510. Anyway having just checked it definitely isn't on the E410 and presumably the E420 would be the same. Thanks for mentioning it though never know I might well find a need for it again one day.