Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 4th January 2018

Liked 1,710 Times in 638 Posts
HLD 9 AC adaptor

The Olympus adaptor is 149... it looks like an ordinary pc power adaptor which are normally 10!

Has anyone used an alternate to the Olympus device with success?

What did you buy?

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 4th January 2018

Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
Re: HLD 9 AC adaptor

I'm still waiting for my HLD-9 to arrive, but the AC Adaptor seems to have a 9 volt 5 amp output (rather higher than most?) and you'd have to find a replacement with the same type of plug and the same polarity! Amazon are selling the real thing for around 95, but bearing in mind the cost of the HLD-9 I'd need to pretty confident a cheaper replacement would be safe

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
Old 5th January 2018

Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
Re: HLD 9 AC adaptor

And after seeing the very clear warning in the Olympus manual about the dangers of using a third party adapter, I'd be VERY reluctant to risk damaging my new camera by saving a relatively few pounds on an adapter!

Bear in mind that you need to create a very stable DC current to power the camera. And I'd suspect that if any fluctuations in the voltage from a cheaper AC/DC adapter damaged the delicate circuitry in the camera your warranty would be voided.

Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!