Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 9th September 2017

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Isafjordur harbour

There are plenty of grotty ships and boats in Isafjør∂ur's harbour! A bit like Steptoe's yard.

[IMG][/IMG]

Trawlers in dock. I don't believe the rusty patched up one goes anywhere. Would you go to sea in that?

[IMG][/IMG]

And in colour:

[IMG][/IMG]

A general view of the harbour. That wasn't our cruise ship, we parked up further out to sea (to the left), up the fjord, and came in by tender.

[IMG][/IMG]

And finally, the grottiest boat we could find:

[IMG][/IMG]

They probably went to sea in that! That's what's called local colour. Isafjør∂ur is about 60 miles south of the Arctic Circle, and close to the Denmark Strait, where the Hood went down in 1941. Given the weather, houses and boats alike suffer badly.

I hope you find these of interest. Thanks for looking and comments.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
bassman (9th September 2017), iso (9th September 2017), pault (9th September 2017)
Old 9th September 2017

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts
Re: Isafjordur harbour

I have always found it perplexing that boats always seem to be left to gently rot away ?
It appears that wherever you travel in the world, there they are. Do you think they leave them just to give us interesting images ?
Old 9th September 2017

Liked 233 Times in 201 Posts

You can smell the seaweed
Old 9th September 2017

Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts

Hi Keith

Thanks for putting up your photos - it certainly is an interesting place and fairly basic (from my spoilt middle England perspective) but I was touched how peaceful and comfortable they are as a community. They don't seem to be hampered by always wanting the next thing and not enjoying what they have - our guide said they buy what's in stock and occasionally use Amazon but I "takes a while to arrive"! They were all very welcoming as well.

I love the harbour shots and in particular the shot with the towering steep mountains behind - they certainly are a hardy people. Pics 4 and 5 are my favourites but could be swayed by the B & W one if it had more contrast possibly?

I like your other town and umbrella shots and saw that lovely old van outside the bakers!!

Best wishes

Mark
Old 10th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecedars View Post
Hi Keith

Thanks for putting up your photos - it certainly is an interesting place and fairly basic (from my spoilt middle England perspective) but I was touched how peaceful and comfortable they are as a community. They don't seem to be hampered by always wanting the next thing and not enjoying what they have - our guide said they buy what's in stock and occasionally use Amazon but I "takes a while to arrive"! They were all very welcoming as well.

I love the harbour shots and in particular the shot with the towering steep mountains behind - they certainly are a hardy people. Pics 4 and 5 are my favourites but could be swayed by the B & W one if it had more contrast possibly?

I like your other town and umbrella shots and saw that lovely old van outside the bakers!!

Best wishes

Mark
I have done a great deal of reading about Iceland, both by Icelandic authors and by a British lady who lived there for a year while she lectured at the uni, and discovered that it isn't quite as it looks! There was a lot of corruption there that led up to the big crash at the end of 2008; partly because the controlling political parties insisted on also having a major say in running the big businesses and especially the banks. The bankers worked beautiful fraud. They got the banks to borrow from abroad against their own level of borrowing, which sent their stock values up, so made them more credit-worthy. Then the bank directors borrowed more off their own banks, and invested it in tax havens abroad. As this pushed up the stock values further, they borrowed more and more, repeating the cycle, until, of course, the bubble burst. Some were imprisoned as a result. They have had to work very hard since to recover - Iceland has paid off more than half of its government debt - and they work long hours, but have the highest growth of GDP in Europe, almost 10%. Most couples both work full-time jobs. They are very much a consumer society now in Reykjavik; outside the capital, a lot of the population is elderly and, as your guide says, laid back. There's a lot of depopulation of ex-fishing villages; Isafjør∂ur had population of over 6000 in 1960; now it is barely 2000.

There is no second-hand market there! They either hand down goods in the family, or scrap them, and buy new. Yet there are quite a few poor people. Crime is said to be low; well, not as low as you'd think. The two main crimes now are fraud and rape, if their own police figures are anything to go by. But not murder. Fishing is long-distance now, and men penned up on ships for weeks at a time come ashore, get drunk, and have punch-ups.

It's a fascinating country though, as is Faeroe. They are quite different, yet so close. I'll post some of those in due course.

Anyway, photography! I tried the BW one with more contrast, and it tends to burn out the white areas; Not the easiest subject with the almost white tanks behind the ship. I'll show you shortly.

Thanks for comments.
Old 10th September 2017

Here's the BW one with more contrast, selectively above deck.

[IMG][/IMG]

Any thoughts, anyone?
Many thanks for looking.
Old 10th September 2017

Liked 2,730 Times in 940 Posts

Here is my take on the mono shot Keith

What software are you using?

Not my shot 2017-29 by Alf Branch, on Flickr
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 10th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbranch View Post
Here is my take on the mono shot Keith

What software are you using?

Not my shot 2017-29 by Alf Branch, on Flickr
i use Affinity for Mac. Increasing the contrast that much loses a lot of the detail that you can see in the colour version, which is why I increased contrast only above the deck level (i.e. the superstructure). I didn't increase contrast on either the hull or on the ship Unnar. I can't see the waterline on a lot of your take, Alf; that suggests it's a bit too much, to me. I agonized over increasing it further, but felt that I was in danger of losing detail in the superstructure as well. On Unnar, I can see white lines around the registration numbers. Do you not think that's indicating that it's gone a little too far?
Old 10th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
i use Affinity for Mac. Increasing the contrast that much loses a lot of the detail that you can see in the colour version, which is why I increased contrast only above the deck level (i.e. the superstructure). I didn't increase contrast on either the hull or on the ship Unnar. I can't see the waterline on a lot of your take, Alf; that suggests it's a bit too much, to me. I agonized over increasing it further, but felt that I was in danger of losing detail in the superstructure as well. On Unnar, I can see white lines around the registration numbers. Do you not think that's indicating that it's gone a little too far?
By using more advanced processing saftware/techniques you can adjust selected areas of an image rather than the whole thing.
I used photoshop and used a single layer to adjust the level as there were no blacks in the image and increased the white then adjusted the contrast with a curves layer.

On the shot you posted many of the outlines on the upper part of the image are blown out completely
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

Old 10th September 2017

Keith
Here is another version where I adjusted the levels on two seperate selective adjustment layers one for the upper part of for the lower part then adjusted contrast in a curves layer

Not my shot 2017-29 v2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Old 10th September 2017

Quote:
By using more advanced processing saftware/techniques you can adjust selected areas of an image rather than the whole thing.
I used photoshop and used a single layer to adjust the level as there were no blacks in the image and increased the white then adjusted the contrast with a curves layer.

On the shot you posted many of the outlines on the upper part of the image are blown out completely
I should probably have used the curves, but didn't. I selected the superstructure and applied changes to the selection, using Brightness/contrast and Shadows/highlights. Did it in a bit of a rush, and didn't check the curves. I used Elements for a while when I had my old computer(PC), so rather got out of the habit of using curves.
Old 10th September 2017

Quote:
Keith
Here is another version where I adjusted the levels on two seperate selective adjustment layers one for the upper part of for the lower part then adjusted contrast in a curves layer

Not my shot 2017-29 v2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr
To me, that looks more representative of the colour image. The waterline hasn't disappeared in black like in the single area adjustment.

Thanks for efforts/comments Alf.
Old 10th September 2017

Beware of trusting what you monitor shows however fancy or new unless it is properly calibrated that not just with the computer but a claibration device.

Keith here is a version done by converting you colour version and using more selective layers to adjust different parts of the image.

Not my shot 2017-29 v3 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Old 11th September 2017

That looks vastly better Alf; i can see a difference between each of the three versions that you put up.

The screen on an iMac is unitary with the computer. It gives superb results, and I doubt that has anything to do with this issue; indeed, nor the processing software. I don't do much with B/W and haven't done any processing colour or B/W for over a year. I didn't have time, including for the forum, as you may have noticed, and unless you keep up with processing, you tend to get out of practice. i've forgotten, for instance, how to use a masking layer - that's usually the first thing I forget unless I use it a lot!

I haven't done a lot of processing for a lot longer than that, since I packed in the club I was in over two years ago, and most of my processing was for club competitions.

This exercise has got me thinking about it again; I have a lot of other Iceland / Faeroes shots, but perhaps better to put them on Foto Fair until I have time to spend doing a better job of it, and trying to get back in practice....if I can find time.

Thanks for your efforts and help.
Old 15th September 2017

Liked 233 Times in 201 Posts

Dear oh dear you two - all very nice - but what did the actual scene look like