Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 10th October 2016

Liked 125 Times in 41 Posts
MPB Photographic 300mm F4

Hi All,

This evening MPB Photographic have an Olympus m4/3 300mm F4 rated at mint condition at 1,829 for anyone interested.

Thomas.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thomas Westhead For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (11th October 2016), JohnGG (10th October 2016), OM USer (11th October 2016)
Old 11th October 2016

Liked 1,260 Times in 721 Posts
Re: MPB Photographic 300mm F4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Westhead View Post
Hi All,

This evening MPB Photographic have an Olympus m4/3 300mm F4 rated at mint condition at 1,829 for anyone interested.
I gave this a lot of thought, but in view of my need to buy a quality printer in the near future plus likely greater personal benefit from an E-M1 mkii than this 300, I have taken the rational decision not to proceed (I slept on it, though, and it was still available when I woke).

If you'd found a PL 100-400 in similar condition it would have been a much harder decision!

That's a fair price, especially in view of what's likely to happen to the new price over the next few months. I've bought a couple of things from MPB in the past and have found them good to deal with.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 11th October 2016

Liked 119 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Westhead View Post
Hi All,

London camera exchange have got three of them. - https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/AllUsed/
Old 11th October 2016

Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts

I saw that Ffordes had one too a few weeks back - apparently the owner had found it too heavy and was prepared to take a financial hit by selling it! It would seem that several other owners have bought one without really considering what they are buying

But my main concern over spending so much on a used lens is whether the Olympus guarantee carries over to the new owner?

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
Old 11th October 2016

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJE View Post
I saw that Ffordes had one too a few weeks back - apparently the owner had found it too heavy and was prepared to take a financial hit by selling it! It would seem that several other owners have bought one without really considering what they are buying

But my main concern over spending so much on a used lens is whether the Olympus guarantee carries over to the new owner?
It probably wouldn't do however you'd get warranty from the dealer...on used items MPB give 6 months, Wex give 12 months...
Old 12th October 2016

Liked 214 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJE View Post

He'd obviously never lugged a Canon 500mm around! I feel as if I'm floating by comparison with the 300mm.
Old 12th October 2016

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts

Seems strange, I wonder if they were maybe not up to their expectations, one video I saw on utube said that there is a slight hesitation on final focus acquisition, but did not expand on this. Only to say that when focus was locked it was very good and very sharp.
Kind regards mike.
Old 12th October 2016

Liked 3,047 Times in 875 Posts

I suspect some people found the seductive lure of the latest new product too much to resist. Then the realisation dawned that unless you shoot aircraft or birds you will not have much use for the lens and the two grand could be spent elsewhere on something more useful.

Ron
Old 13th October 2016

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts

Well thanks to this thread I am now the proud owner of a 300mm f4 pro lens. I had been in touch by email to try and get one of the second hand lens at lce Derby branch. When I rang the following morning I was informed that unfortunately the lens had gone the night before. So I tried to get in touch with the Reading branch that also had a mint unit, although 50 dearer. The line was engaged. So I gave up and went doing the weekly shop. On my return I had an email from lce Derby branch saying the lens was still available. So I gave them a ring and spoke to a real nice guy, who said that he would sell me a brand new lens (special compensation stock of Olympus) for the same price (1799.99) as the second had unit had been. He also sent it straight out by Ups foc to myself. The lens arrived today, new as promised. I would really like to thank lce Derby for what must be the cheapest new (non grey import lens) in the country. 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀
drmarkf (13th October 2016), Eclairewilliams (18th October 2016), Hemlockwood (14th October 2016), mack100 (14th October 2016)
Old 13th October 2016

Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,298 Posts
Liked 2,336 Times in 1,110 Posts

Wow that's a good deal. And a good job I didn't know about it as I'd have been tempted to go and have a look as they are only a few miles away from me. I really don't need one though
What does special compensation stock mean? I've never heard that term before.
Old 13th October 2016

Not to sure to be honest. I was just to stunned to ask when he offered it to me at that price.
Old 13th October 2016

Liked 1,453 Times in 324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdb2 View Post
Seems strange, I wonder if they were maybe not up to their expectations, one video I saw on utube said that there is a slight hesitation on final focus acquisition, but did not expand on this. Only to say that when focus was locked it was very good and very sharp.
Kind regards mike.
Not in my experience Mike, the 300mm Pro is virtually never off my E-M1.

I've found the focus acquisition to be fast and accurate, take a look at the Dragonflies in flight on my Flickr page, all taken with either the 300mm f4 or the 300mm with the MC-14.

I've been unable to get shots like this with any of my other lenses, a few have been close however, the results are consistent with the 300mm.

My Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/144249381@N05/albums

Dave
The Following User Liked This Post:
The Technician (13th October 2016)
Old 13th October 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
Well thanks to this thread I am now the proud owner of a 300mm f4 pro lens. I had been in touch by email to try and get one of the second hand lens at lce Derby branch. When I rang the following morning I was informed that unfortunately the lens had gone the night before. So I tried to get in touch with the Reading branch that also had a mint unit, although 50 dearer. The line was engaged. So I gave up and went doing the weekly shop. On my return I had an email from lce Derby branch saying the lens was still available. So I gave them a ring and spoke to a real nice guy, who said that he would sell me a brand new lens (special compensation stock of Olympus) for the same price (1799.99) as the second had unit had been. He also sent it straight out by Ups foc to myself. The lens arrived today, new as promised. I would really like to thank lce Derby for what must be the cheapest new (non grey import lens) in the country. 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀
You got a great deal for a great lens.

I hope you enjoy using it and look forward to seeing the results.

Dave
Old 14th October 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
I suspect some people found the seductive lure of the latest new product too much to resist. Then the realisation dawned that unless you shoot aircraft or birds you will not have much use for the lens and the two grand could be spent elsewhere on something more useful.

Ron
Perhaps, but I doubt it Ron.

The 300 Pro is a very versatile lens, not just for birds and planes, it's close focussing makes it great for macro subjects such as these.

Common Blue Damselflies by David Goodwin, on Flickr

Blue-tailed Damselflies by David Goodwin, on Flickr

This really is a great lens, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

Dave
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Eclairewilliams (18th October 2016), Hemlockwood (14th October 2016), mack100 (14th October 2016)
Old 14th October 2016

Dave would you be interested in posting your camera settings when using this lens. As I for one would be very interested.
bilbo (15th October 2016)
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (15th October 2016)