Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 22nd July 2015
Dave in Wales's Avatar
Dave in Wales Dave in Wales is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West Wales
Posts: 1,088
Thanks: 60
Thanked 149 Times in 122 Posts
Likes: 136
Liked 661 Times in 234 Posts
Re: Macro..Sacrifice quality for working distance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
Hi there Dave!

I could be wrong, but isn't the 75-300 supposed to start to soften towards the long end - I'm sure that people have advised to not use at the full extension unless necessary. Perhaps you would get even greater IQ if you limit it to 250mm?
Cheers,

Ralph.
At 300mm with 26mm extension tubes.....working distance....33'' min

I don't think it's too bad.

This is about 25% of the frame, OH no it isn't...OH yes it is.... the flowers were about 16-20mm in dia. I suppose.
Take a look at the hairs at the bottom of the picture, would you call that soft?

P6180919-Edit4 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 22nd July 2015
Ralph Harwood's Avatar
Ralph Harwood Ralph Harwood is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wirral
Posts: 1,822
Thanks: 213
Thanked 294 Times in 274 Posts
Likes: 765
Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts
Re: Macro..Sacrifice quality for working distance?

Hi there Dave!

That's certainly not soft, I was more thinking that the difference in your original post would be even smaller if you had used a slightly shorter focal length. However, what you are doing right now seems to ve working for you, so carry on and keep posting.

Cheers,

Ralph.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 24th July 2015
Petrochemist Petrochemist is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: N Essex
Posts: 727
Thanks: 36
Thanked 81 Times in 74 Posts
Likes: 212
Liked 126 Times in 92 Posts
Re: Macro..Sacrifice quality for working distance?

I'm always reading about how telephoto zooms get soft at full extension.
There's certainly no sign of it in Dave's shot. I can't help thinking it's usually only noticeable around the pixel scale. - Possibly detectable in a big print or heavy crop but not really an issue most of the time. No doubt there are a few lenses where the effect is much more significant, reports of these might encourage owners to pixel peep & detect minor issues with the remainder.

Zooming out slightly whilst on extension tubes will reduce the working distance (possibly scaring of the subject) but increase the available magnification. I'd be inclined to take a few at maximum focal length then move in a little & have another go if the subject is still available. I'd be rather pleased if any of them came out as well as Dave's!
__________________
Mike
Compulsive photographic Dabbler.
Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 25th July 2015
IanB IanB is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,045
Thanks: 40
Thanked 151 Times in 120 Posts
Likes: 110
Liked 556 Times in 269 Posts
Re: Macro..Sacrifice quality for working distance?

good thread; keep the info coming.

I would like to get closer to many subjects and not sure which way to do it with EM1. The 60mm macro is my first choice; the 60mm sigma + my canon D250 achromatic lens/filter that I use on the Lumix FZ200 is the less expensive option but..... Hated; more like couldn't use the 100mm canon lens on the 5d11

Not as interested in the things that move/fly away [too hard lol] as I am in structures of natural things. Maybe close up is a better name than macro
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IanB For This Useful Post:
Dave in Wales (25th July 2015)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Dave in Wales (25th July 2015)
  #20  
Old 25th July 2015
Dave in Wales's Avatar
Dave in Wales Dave in Wales is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West Wales
Posts: 1,088
Thanks: 60
Thanked 149 Times in 122 Posts
Likes: 136
Liked 661 Times in 234 Posts
Re: Macro..Sacrifice quality for working distance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
good thread; keep the info coming.
Thanks Ian.

I have the Oly 60mm + the Oly RF-11, both of which sadly seem to remain in my bag.

A great combination but not much use when the RF is poked up the subjects nose and scares it to death.

The 75-150 + 26mm tubes + HS mounted Oly FL-300R flash acting as fill-in, is now my macro kit of preference.
The FL-300R tends to get a bad press, I love it, sits very nicely on top of an E-M1.

Not strictly macro but close enough for my needs, the magnification as previously mentioned is approx. 0.33x with a working distance of about a 3 feet.
This combination of high IQ, a 'reasonable' magnification which can be 'pulled' and such a HUGE working distance all amount to a 'dream' for a macro nut.

With such 'useable' high ISO's and the E-M1's IBIS, cropping the image to about 25% of the initial frame is no problem, thereby increasing the mag. even more.

Sometimes I use a monopod, sometimes hand held, depends on the ambient, the picture above was HH.

My camera setting tend to be.....
Shutter priority @ 1/250, this is set by the flash.
ISO 800
Flash..Manual.
Flash Power….1/40.

Flashes on manual settings have an extremely short duration: this freezes motion and makes for sharp macro.

The flash duration for the FL-300R is quoted as 1/500 to 1/20000, the E-M1’s flash power settings go from FULL to 1/64.

I’m taking an educated guess here by saying that at 1/40 power, the flash duration is in the order of 1/15000, much shorter than the 1/250 shutter speed.

Coupled with the 'taking' method above is the ability to resize and sharpen images to ones satisfaction for reproduction on the web.

I have only recently sussed this one out…..
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38282

I am fortunate to have two PP suites, LR6 and PSE 13, my sharpening and RS procedure is now……

Import ORF into LR and sharpen using the method described here…….
https://photographylife.com/how-to-p...s-in-lightroom

Export to PSE 13 as TIFF, resize and sharpen in accordance with….
http://www.slrlounge.com/resize-shar...ead-lightroom/
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 25th July 2015
IanB IanB is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,045
Thanks: 40
Thanked 151 Times in 120 Posts
Likes: 110
Liked 556 Times in 269 Posts
Re: Macro..Sacrifice quality for working distance?

thanks again Dave; I had to google those toys you have
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 25th July 2015
IanB IanB is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,045
Thanks: 40
Thanked 151 Times in 120 Posts
Likes: 110
Liked 556 Times in 269 Posts
Re: Macro..Sacrifice quality for working distance?

Panny 75-300 (??)

Got a link; google cant find it (??)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 25th July 2015
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 13,932
Thanks: 2,058
Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,024 Posts
Likes: 5,354
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,118 Posts
Re: Macro..Sacrifice quality for working distance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
Thanks Ian.

I have the Oly 60mm + the Oly RF-11, both of which sadly seem to remain in my bag.

A great combination but not much use when the RF is poked up the subjects nose and scares it to death.

The 75-150 + 26mm tubes + HS mounted Oly FL-300R flash acting as fill-in, is now my macro kit of preference.
The FL-300R tends to get a bad press, I love it, sits very nicely on top of an E-M1.

Not strictly macro but close enough for my needs, the magnification as previously mentioned is approx. 0.33x with a working distance of about a 3 feet.
This combination of high IQ, a 'reasonable' magnification which can be 'pulled' and such a HUGE working distance all amount to a 'dream' for a macro nut.

With such 'useable' high ISO's and the E-M1's IBIS, cropping the image to about 25% of the initial frame is no problem, thereby increasing the mag. even more.

Sometimes I use a monopod, sometimes hand held, depends on the ambient, the picture above was HH.

My camera setting tend to be.....
Shutter priority @ 1/250, this is set by the flash.
ISO 800
Flash..Manual.
Flash Power….1/40.

Flashes on manual settings have an extremely short duration: this freezes motion and makes for sharp macro.

The flash duration for the FL-300R is quoted as 1/500 to 1/20000, the E-M1’s flash power settings go from FULL to 1/64.

I’m taking an educated guess here by saying that at 1/40 power, the flash duration is in the order of 1/15000, much shorter than the 1/250 shutter speed.

Coupled with the 'taking' method above is the ability to resize and sharpen images to ones satisfaction for reproduction on the web.

I have only recently sussed this one out…..
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38282

I am fortunate to have two PP suites, LR6 and PSE 13, my sharpening and RS procedure is now……

Import ORF into LR and sharpen using the method described here…….
https://photographylife.com/how-to-p...s-in-lightroom

Export to PSE 13 as TIFF, resize and sharpen in accordance with….
http://www.slrlounge.com/resize-shar...ead-lightroom/
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
Panny 75-300 (??)

Got a link; google cant find it (??)
Olympus 75-300?
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 25th July 2015
Dave in Wales's Avatar
Dave in Wales Dave in Wales is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West Wales
Posts: 1,088
Thanks: 60
Thanked 149 Times in 122 Posts
Likes: 136
Liked 661 Times in 234 Posts
Re: Macro..Sacrifice quality for working distance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
Panny 75-300 (??)

Got a link; google cant find it (??)
Sorry, Oly 75-300 Mk 2.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-o...&utm_source=aw
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 25th July 2015
Dave in Wales's Avatar
Dave in Wales Dave in Wales is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West Wales
Posts: 1,088
Thanks: 60
Thanked 149 Times in 122 Posts
Likes: 136
Liked 661 Times in 234 Posts
Re: Macro..Sacrifice quality for working distance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Olympus 75-300?
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-o...&utm_source=aw
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave in Wales For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (25th July 2015)
  #26  
Old 26th July 2015
IanB IanB is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,045
Thanks: 40
Thanked 151 Times in 120 Posts
Likes: 110
Liked 556 Times in 269 Posts
Re: Macro..Sacrifice quality for working distance?

thanks Dave; I thought you meant the OLY. Bit slow imo. F4 is about as slow as I feel is acceptable these days; 5.6 with a push but then we always want the less expensive option when it's just hobby.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 26th July 2015
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 13,932
Thanks: 2,058
Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,024 Posts
Likes: 5,354
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,118 Posts
Re: Macro..Sacrifice quality for working distance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
thanks Dave; I thought you meant the OLY. Bit slow imo. F4 is about as slow as I feel is acceptable these days; 5.6 with a push but then we always want the less expensive option when it's just hobby.
I dunno? I've seen lots of comments elsewhere wanting Pro level at the less expensive kit price.
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 28th July 2015
Kiwi Paul
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Macro..Sacrifice quality for working distance?

The advantage of a longer working distance is increased DOF, the biggest problem I have with my Oly 60mm macro is the DOF is really shallow even with small apertures due to close working distance .
I'm wondering if the m43 teleconverter would help, has anyone used the tc with the 60mm for macro?

Paul
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 28th July 2015
Kiwi Paul
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Macro..Sacrifice quality for working distance?

That's an excellent shot Dave, I'd struggle with DOF using the 60mm Oly macro with a shot like that but you have everything sharp.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
I've come to a decision

Slightly inferior initial RAW IQ and high IQ jpg's for display, how....LR6 sharpening.

So it's the 75-300 + 26mm Kenko extension tubes, with the E-M1 onboard flash as fill in.

I've always got the 60mm + RF-11 ring flash to fall back on.

A working distance of 33" for a magnification of 1:3 is just too good to miss.

This is with the 75-300 + tubes and is cropped to about 25% of the frame.

P6180919-Edit4 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 28th July 2015
Wee man's Avatar
Wee man Wee man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle Co. Down N. Ireland
Posts: 7,995
Thanks: 2,392
Thanked 1,151 Times in 1,026 Posts
Likes: 281
Liked 1,232 Times in 802 Posts
Re: Macro..Sacrifice quality for working distance?

Paul think the m4/3 TC only works with the 40-150 2.8 and the new 300 f4
__________________
Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Ultimate Sacrifice Harold Gough The lounge 3 29th November 2014 02:05 PM
Focus distance of the 60mm macro at 2:1? Otto Standard zoom and mid range 9 6th September 2013 04:18 PM
9-18 mm and hyperfocal distance Pete_Murrell Wide angle 14 17th May 2012 02:47 PM
Hyperfocal Distance jdal Camera conference 19 25th April 2011 12:07 PM
Hyperfocal Distance knikki The lounge 8 14th May 2008 05:46 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:50 AM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger