Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 11th April 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,115 Posts
Question Which promise(s) do you want to believe?

With less than a month until polling the desperate promises are all coming out. It seems that collectively they (the main parties) are going to freeze rail fares, slash tuition fees, provide weekend access to GPs, tax the Non-Doms, entitle everyone to an extra 3 days paid leave for charity work, tax mansions, fully renew/partially renew/completely scrap Trident, spend an extra 8 billion pa on the NHS, an extra 3.5 billion for mental health, extra cash for home and community care, a referendum on EU membership, 20,000 more nurses, 3,500 more midwives and on it goes.

It seems to be degenerating into an "anything you can pledge we can pledge better" contest, but can we believe or trust any of them?

Personally I'm starting to warm to the Tory policies on Trident and Non-Doms, which together would at least enable us to claim to be the best protected offshore tax haven in the world - even if we don't have the sunshine, beaches and dodgy Japanese camera manufacturers secret funds of the Cayman Islands!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 12th April 2015

Thanked 1,317 Times in 1,029 Posts
Liked 2,083 Times in 1,126 Posts
Re: Which promise(s) do you want to believe?

We've had our state (NSW) election recently & the promises become a little bit of a joke. The sitting Liberals were returned but our local member lost her seat to the Labor party (that's how they spell it) with fairly aggressive campaigning from them (including stretching the truth or worse to get there), so I know what you mean when you ask if you should believe any of the promises made by any of them.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 12th April 2015

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

The "Manners maketh Man "(or Woman) principle seems to have gone out of the window again with insults flying around left, right and centre.

I'm not a natural born voter for any particular political party and the only thing that carries with me is past performance and results so I have to admit to voting more for (or against) current constituency incumbents rather than national parties, at least I have an accurate measure of performance rather than meaningless statistics handed out by quangos!

David
Chevvyf1 (18th April 2015)
Old 12th April 2015

Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,298 Posts
Liked 2,339 Times in 1,111 Posts

I have to say I'm fed up with all the backbiting already. I hope the many politicians who just seek to denigrate their opposite numbers personally suffer for it in votes! To be honest if we just limited all the campaigning to just a week of information distribution then we would have a lot of extra cash to spend!
Old 12th April 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
I have to say I'm fed up with all the backbiting already. I hope the many politicians who just seek to denigrate their opposite numbers personally suffer for it in votes! To be honest if we just limited all the campaigning to just a week of information distribution then we would have a lot of extra cash to spend!
The part that annoyed me was that both sides here in NSW were using off shore telemarketing, recorded messages (I suppose the taxpayer's money goes further that way than paying the local's real wages. ), which I promptly hung up on, so I couldn't see that as being effective. Who in their right mind would actually listen to it & even more, actually decide on their vote because of it?
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 12th April 2015

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

Gosh! I can hardly wait for the 'Heaven on Earth' that will be te UK after any of the parties wins the election.

I only have one question.

IF all of this is possible, why aren't we doing it now?

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/
The Following User Says Thank You to byegad For This Useful Post:
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 12th April 2015
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I don't think the politicians - of all parties - quite realise how boring and off-putting all this willy-waving is to normal human beings.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Chevvyf1 (18th April 2015), MargaretR (12th April 2015), Ross the fiddler (12th April 2015)
Old 12th April 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
I don't think the politicians - of all parties - quite realise how boring and off-putting all this willy-waving is to normal human beings.
It's certainly off-putting & I sympathise for you all going through it over there (it's even worse with US politics & presidential elections, they broadcast it through all our news, for goodness sake! ).

I could be gross & say something about the state of the mirrors they look at themselves in (but I'll refrain & you can use your imagination instead).

The promises & motives are so sickening as it is only about getting them into power & nothing for the long term future of our countries, is it?
Old 12th April 2015

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

As soon as a party political broadcast comes on the telly the telly goes off and I no longer watch or listen to the news. Back biting, empty vague promises which will never be kept (small print anybody?) it's business as usual for politicians. Amazes me that with only a month to go no party has published an election manifesto, it's almost like they did not know an election was coming. Hang on a minute though, they don't want anything in print as that makes it more difficult to make up "policies" on the hoof. Nothing is thought through or the consequences evaluated it's anything you want you can have, just vote for us..... until after the election.
I wish the ballot paper had a box to put the cross in which stood for "no confidence in any of the above parties", that would certainly get my vote.
Same old same old I guess, am I unreasonably cynical? Don't think so, just seen it all so many times before.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miketoll For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (18th April 2015), Wee man (12th April 2015)
Chevvyf1 (18th April 2015), Grumpy Hec (12th April 2015), Petrochemist (12th April 2015)
Old 12th April 2015

Thanked 1,118 Times in 700 Posts
Liked 1,460 Times in 729 Posts

To answer the original question... none of the above.

However, what amazes me is that the politicians don't seem to have grasped the fact that they are their own worst enemies. If they have, then it shows just how much in contempt they hold the ordinary people they claim to represent.

I would call the whole kit and caboodle of them A$%H*%es but that would be insulting to the genuine article as that, at least fulfills a real use for humanity. Can't say the same for any politician over the last three or four decades or so.

As for Trident... scrap it. We have two aircraft carriers - OK! almost two - which if put into service could carry the latest generation of aircraft which in turn could carry nuclear arms. Solves the Scottish problem, mobility, and the capability/ability to provide pin-point accuracy with smaller yields which I hope to God, would never, ever be used. Britain would still be a nuclear power and faces saved all round.

Oh, and lest we forget, it might also prove more cost effective = money for all the pie-in-the-sky promises that are being made.

There is, of course, one way they might be able to fund all of these grandiose schemes... perhaps money does grow on trees?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 12th April 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

Lies, Damned Lies, Statistics & Political Sound Bites

I cannot listen to any of them and turn off the news when it is reported.

I only believe in that which is factual, demonstrable and based in truth.

"Delete this candidate" really should be an option, on the ballot, to remove all the ones that have lied, cheated, etc., etc., etc...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (18th April 2015), Grumpy Hec (12th April 2015)
Old 12th April 2015

Liked 82 Times in 30 Posts

Ignore the first 25 seconds or so and then watch this:

Old 12th April 2015
Administrator

Liked 506 Times in 280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketoll View Post
Amazes me that with only a month to go no party has published an election manifesto, it's almost like they did not know an election was coming.

Hang on a minute though, they don't want anything in print as that makes it more difficult to make up "policies" on the hoof.
I think you have hit the nail on the head. short term non documented vote catching (hopefully) soundbytes on all sides

Frankly in many ways I hope for another coalition. What's been better this time around is the lack of extremism and despite other issues, I think the moderation effect of having to work together with others is overall a benefit

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 12th April 2015

Liked 126 Times in 92 Posts

I wish the electoral system was changed so we could vote against a candidate instead of for one if we wished. Currently many voters vote for A as they're the best bet for stopping B getting in rather to actually support A.
I suspect many of them would end up with negative totals, which would show them they don't offer the options were after.
Old 12th April 2015

Thanked 1,118 Times in 700 Posts
Liked 1,460 Times in 729 Posts

Surprisingly, many of my friends on the continent (EU) that I have spoken with, would prefer to see another UK coalition government.

Makes one wonder what those on the outside looking in see what we can't?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs