Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 11th March 2015

Liked 75 Times in 46 Posts
PMQ's 11 March (Political Content)

I happened to see part of PMQ's today with Cameron and Milliband calling each other childish names against a background of shouting and cat calls from MP's on both sides of the house.

The Speaker struggled to maintain order.

It is shameful to think these people are responsible for running the country.

It was totally embarrassing to see elected people acting like infants in a school playground.
Old 11th March 2015

Liked 2,272 Times in 1,501 Posts
Re: PMQ's 11 March

Quote:
Originally Posted by latestarter View Post
I happened to see part of PMQ's today with Cameron and Milliband calling each other childish names against a background of shouting and cat calls from MP's on both sides of the house.

It was totally embarrassing to see elected people acting like infants in a school playground.
It will only get worse (and more entertaining) in the run up to the election.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 11th March 2015
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

As the recent documentary about Westminster showed, PMQs are staged and, in my opinion, of very little real value in the world of governing the country.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
Wee man (11th March 2015)
Old 11th March 2015

Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

But, but, they're an essential part of the theatre of government!

dJE
Old 11th March 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by danellis View Post
But, but, they're an essential part of the theatre of government!

dJE
True. It is very much like the theatre of the court room, and of course many of our politicians are lawyers, so we shouldn't be too surprised.

I suspect the 'Yaa Boo' element of politics has been there for many years, and certainly pre-dates televised debates. However, what disappoints me is that our elected representatives, who are paid from the public purse, so often refuse to cooperate on important issues rather like sulking children.

I do not believe that grown adults, who are being paid to do a job, should be allowed obviate their responsibilities just because they aren't in power and getting their own way.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 11th March 2015

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Agree with much of the above. Just waiting to see what new lies I am told (by all parties) over the next few weeks. It is the blatant contempt for the electorate that angers me. They don't give a damn and are more than happy to show it!
Old 11th March 2015

Right now I am on the phone to my mobile broadband provider trying to negotiate a new contract, and believe me, it is just like trying to get straight answers from a bunch politicians!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 11th March 2015

Thanked 1,151 Times in 1,026 Posts
Liked 1,232 Times in 802 Posts

Nigel at least you can change your provider! Problem with politicians is it is nearly always the same people who stand so all we do is decide which side off the house they sit and who slags of who first? Over here we get asked why do you keep voting the same ,..............., in and the answer has to be because there is no one else new standing!

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 11th March 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,146 Times in 2,455 Posts
Liked 4,453 Times in 2,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by latestarter View Post

Slight correction:- They are not responsible for running the country, they are responsible for ruining it.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Grumpy Hec (11th March 2015), Ralph Harwood (11th March 2015), wontolla (11th March 2015)
Old 11th March 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
Nigel at least you can change your provider! Problem with politicians is it is nearly always the same people who stand so all we do is decide which side off the house they sit and who slags of who first? Over here we get asked why do you keep voting the same ,..............., in and the answer has to be because there is no one else new standing!
Whoever you vote for, you'll get a politician!

I just wish we could go back to the days of Maggie Thatcher, Tony Benn and their ilk, who you might have disagreed with, but you still got a straight answer.

It all seemed to go wrong when Tony Blair brought in his team of spin doctors and media advisers, although I daresay it had been going on for a good time before that.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 11th March 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,146 Times in 2,455 Posts
Liked 4,453 Times in 2,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
I firmly believe that voting slips should have a section for "None Of The Above." We could then register our disapproval rather than approval and it would be interesting to see how many voters choose this option.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Wee man (11th March 2015)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Grumpy Hec (11th March 2015), MargaretR (13th March 2015), OlyPaul (12th March 2015)
Old 11th March 2015

I guess the problem is that very few people would want to give up their day job to stand for election when a), there is no guarantee of being elected, and b), even if you get the job you might only have five years in office, so then what do you do?

As it is the whole system conspires against the very people who should be running the country; and by that I mean people from commerce and industry who know how to run a business and a home, and perhaps have experience of the factory floor. Such people would also have a much better idea of what business needs than most of the present bunch.

So we are left with politicians who can earn 500,000 as non executive directors of banks in their spare time, as well as being on the board of the BBC, health trusts, education authorities and all of the other gravy trains.

But how do we get around this?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 11th March 2015

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

We have a good working relationship with our MP on local rural issues and I have more confidence in him than most other politicians, even though I didn't vote for him. I've never before met or communicated with my MP until we escaped to the country but I now wonder if there is indeed a difference between city and rural MPs.
Just a thought.

David
Old 11th March 2015

Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post

As it is the whole system conspires against the very people who should be running the country; and by that I mean people from commerce and industry who know how to run a business and a home, and perhaps have experience of the factory floor. Such people would also have a much better idea of what business needs than most of the present bunch.
Good idea lets get the Bankers or the large multi-national corporations to run the country................ The people who don't pay their fair taxes who steal and lie to the public. Who only have profit as their goals. Who don't pay their staff a living wage, so we have to subsidize their wages.............. My god these people make polititions look like saints.

Steve
The Following User Liked This Post:
Magus (11th March 2015)
Old 11th March 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Good idea lets get the Bankers or the large multi-national corporations to run the country................ The people who don't pay their fair taxes who steal and lie to the public. Who only have profit as their goals. Who don't pay their staff a living wage, so we have to subsidize their wages.............. My god these people make polititions look like saints.

Steve
I think you are misinterpreting what I said Steve; deliberately or otherwise.

Whether you like it or not, our politicians need to have a good grasp of how business and the economy works. If we allow a bunch of fiscal illiterates to run the country we end up as a basket case. History has proved that all too often both in this country and abroad.

That doesn't mean that we need a bunch of merchant bankers running the country. There are plenty of people with both the experience and the integrity needed to do the job, but as I set out previously, why would any reasonably successful professional put their career on the line for a job that might only last for five years?

There is also the matter of the modern media, and the constant pressure of a political life. How many people would swap a safe, private and established career for a life in the political spotlight?

I think we also need to be reminded that it isn't just elected politicians who make decisions that affect us. There are plenty of unelected civil servants and 'special advisors' both in Whitehall and local authorities who not only exert undue influence on our politicians, but also seem able to impose their own political ideals on the electorate without any accountability whatsoever.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing