Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 20th October 2008
DannyH

Bashful Weed with 50-200 swd

Shot this and thought a good title would be "Bashful". Any comments welcome.

Old 20th October 2008
Makonde

Re: Bashful Weed with 50-200 swd

Hello Danny

I like the bokeh (I was going to ask whether anyone had examples of the 50-200 used as macro).

I hope you don't mind frank comments. There are so many photos in this genre that I think perfection is attained only by the outstanding ones. This is just a good ordinary one, for me. I like the idea of the leaf caught in one teazel but the composition doesn't stay interesting enough to my eye. The teazels seem clear and sharp enough, but with that lens one would expect astonishing clarity. In short, I think the photo needs something more than it has at present.
Old 20th October 2008
DannyH

Makande, I prefer frank comments. I think you hit it on the head at being good, but not outstanding. I appreciate your candor. Being new to photography, It's easy for me to say wow to shots that I haven't seen because of my inexperience. Thats why I like comments from more experienced members and hope to show improvement this way.

As way of explanation of how it was taken, I was in a wildlife refuge which didn't allow you out of your car, do to breeding birds. The shot was taken with the camera resting on the window. I'm pretty impressed with the clarity of the lens doing this without a tripod. Below is another that I took doing the same type of car window shot.

Old 20th October 2008
Makonde

Nice clear waders.

I'd love to see you have a go at macro type shots with that lens (like the teazels only bigger, taken from much closer!). I've seen lots of examples of its fine performance long range, but not its macro capabilities.

Because I am thinking it might do nicely for my Christmas present! (Sigh). However, I am weighing up the pros and cons: I have the kit 40-150mm which is very good, and light and compact. The 50-200 seems to be a bit crisper and a couple of stops faster of course - but is it that much better...? The 70-300 is more compact, longer range, good macro by all accounts and examples but slower (which counts for a lot at the long telephoto end)

There is also the new 9 - 18mm ..... for the price of the 50-200 I could get the 70-300 and the 9-18 lol.

Help me out here guys....

(P.S. a small bean-bag is good for resting your lens on a car window or a rock etc. You can even buy a cheap one specially for photography, with a standard screw mounting for a camera so it doesn't slip about)
Old 20th October 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makonde View Post
Nice clear waders.

I'd love to see you have a go at macro type shots with that lens (like the teazels only bigger, taken from much closer!). I've seen lots of examples of its fine performance long range, but not its macro capabilities.

Because I am thinking it might do nicely for my Christmas present! (Sigh). However, I am weighing up the pros and cons: I have the kit 40-150mm which is very good, and light and compact. The 50-200 seems to be a bit crisper and a couple of stops faster of course - but is it that much better...? The 70-300 is more compact, longer range, good macro by all accounts and examples but slower (which counts for a lot at the long telephoto end)

There is also the new 9 - 18mm ..... for the price of the 50-200 I could get the 70-300 and the 9-18 lol.

Help me out here guys....

(P.S. a small bean-bag is good for resting your lens on a car window or a rock etc. You can even buy a cheap one specially for photography, with a standard screw mounting for a camera so it doesn't slip about)
Sorry to jump on your thread Danny but heres a macro example with the 50-200 (old version)and the EC14.

This was at 283 mm from just over 1 meter.

I use the 50-200 all the time for insects etc when I cant get close enough with the 50mm macro.

You wont be disapointed.

Ps Danny love the picture of the waders,the ripples in the water really makes it.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 20th October 2008
Makonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
heres a macro example with the 50-200 (old version)and the EC14.
Mmmmmmm... again that lovely creamy background bokeh. Yep - I think I will go with the quality.