Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 6th December 2012

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts
Opinions required No4

I've been playing about doing some conversions to mono.
Although I tend to go for a softer gentle and more pastel range of tones in colour, I prefer strong darker images in mono.
What say you?

"Always shoot in RAW and avoid JPEGs"

William Shakespeare.
Old 6th December 2012

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Opinions required No4

I too prefer stronger colours in my own mono photos

As regards your own photo, for me, I would crop out most of the sky because there is not much happening there. The forest in your bottom right corner is a bit distracting and could benefit from either being cropped or cloned out. Just right of centre bottom there is a black ridge which looks out of place, almost like there had been a small hair on your negative when you printed it.

As a final thought, have you been tempted to try crop the photo (half the height and width) to show only the bottom right corner, and then also crop off the forest in your bottom right corner?

Alternatively, should I look for the photo as being the next cover of 'Outdoor Photographer'
Old 6th December 2012

Not on the cover of 'Outdoor photographer' no.

William Shakespeare.
Old 6th December 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,453 Times in 2,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seonnaidh View Post
Not on the cover of 'Outdoor photographer' no.
But somewhere inside?

I like this picture of the Storr, incidentally the last Scottish hill that I climbed, but I agree with Chris about cropping the sky. I'm also a little distracted by the dark patch in the bottom right corner. What I especially like is the dusting of snow on the cliffs, which really emphasises the structure of the rocks. This is made all the more prominent by presenting it in monochrome. One intriguing feature is that the dark clouds apper to emanate from the Old Man, like a smoking chimney.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 6th December 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I actually think this is not a very good picture to do in monochrome. The sky is not lively or contrasty enough to be of much interest on it's own. the rocks are nice, but there is also not a particular point of interest, unless you focus on the far right, but that would mean a much different composition.
I suspect the original was attractive for it's atmosphere and that it was for a large part leaning on the colour contrast between the rocks and the sky. This contrast and the atmosphere was lost in translation to monochrome.
Just my personal impression.
Old 6th December 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I was struggling to know what and how I felt about this. It's a good conversion, but I think, for my tastes, Kees explains it perfectly.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 6th December 2012
donmcmahan

I agree with the others re the crop and that bottom right corner. I went with a 16:9 to get rid of a bit of the sky but I thought a lot of interest could be added to the sky, I played around with some things and brought out the sky a bit but it was very limited with no color information to work with.
Old 6th December 2012

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Well I'm in the camp that would crop a bit at the bottom to get rid of the dark area bottom rhs. I'm happy to leave the sky uncropped - as a lot of sky is a feature of the view.

The other thing is to look at the levels - there is quite a lot of unused space after the rhs of the curve, so I'd be inclined to pull the white point down a bit - but leave the mid point unchanged from the original. This will slightly increase contrast in the rock face without darkening the sky.

Nice shot.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 6th December 2012

Liked 2,729 Times in 939 Posts

I would not crop as much off the bottom and with a little work there is more potential in the sky IMO. I rather like it much as it is.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 6th December 2012

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I had a quick fiddle with the photo, adding an ND grad effect to the sky and a tonal contrast to everything. Then I cloned out the forest in the bottom right corner and softened the black ridge just right of centre bottom.

Still not sure if it works?

Please let me know and I will delete the photo from my gallery.
Old 6th December 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
I had a quick fiddle with the photo, adding an ND grad effect to the sky and a tonal contrast to everything. Then I cloned out the forest in the bottom right corner and softened the black ridge just right of centre bottom.

Still not sure if it works?

Please let me know and I will delete the photo from my gallery.
This edit generally works rather well, but the top part of the sky now overwhelms the mountain (sorry, "hill," it is Scotland) and I would still crop to a letter box shape.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 6th December 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Where's captain Kirk hiding?

Sorry, just popped in my mind.
Old 7th December 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seonnaidh View Post
I've been playing about doing some conversions to mono.
Although I tend to go for a softer gentle and more pastel range of tones in colour, I prefer strong darker images in mono.
What say you?
I too like the dark & strong in mono, perhaps too much. This image reminded me of what I call "snow light", the odd almost otherworldly glow of light under an otherwise very dark sky which sometimes happens under snowy conditions.

So I did a minor crop and a few incremental tweaks to tonality/contrast to emphasize "snow light" as best I could. Also the iciness, as it looked as if there was a good crust on the snow and iceflow on the rocks.

My usual caveat; if I've offended by this, tell me and I will refrain in the future.

John

Website @

http://trihelic.net/
Old 7th December 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnI View Post
I too like the dark & strong in mono, perhaps too much. This image reminded me of what I call "snow light", the odd almost otherworldly glow of light under an otherwise very dark sky which sometimes happens under snowy conditions.

So I did a minor crop and a few incremental tweaks to tonality/contrast to emphasize "snow light" as best I could. Also the iciness, as it looked as if there was a good crust on the snow and iceflow on the rocks.

My usual caveat; if I've offended by this, tell me and I will refrain in the future.

John

I really like this edit, John. You seem to have enhanced the definition between the snow and rocks on the cliff face without the harshness of unduly increasing the overall contrast. It has introduced processing artifacts, particularly along the main outline against the sky, but this may well be a consequence of working on a low reolution file or just need a little less sharpening applied.

Old 7th December 2012

I don't mind what you say or do to the image. That's why it has been posted here.
Many thanks to all of you for what you have said and/or done.
here is the final edit and the one you may stumble across next spring. Maybe.
url=http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/55173][/url]

William Shakespeare.