Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 14th September 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Help what to do

Hi all, need some help, after years finally goy the kit I want, going to upgrade the e3 to e5 but just cant do it, I keep thiking what will I want to do in 3 - 5 years time.
I shoot mainly portrates & landscapes, I am thinking, I hate to say it Full Frame 5D11.
I have the following: E3, HDL4, FL36, 12-60SWD, 50-200SWD, 9-18 ,18-180, 35 macro, EC 14, remote.

Advise please, what would you do, Buy E5 and see what happens in the future or sell all now & change system.
Old 14th September 2011

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Re: Help what to do

It might help to pose yourself the following questions. You never know, the answers might enable everybody else to understand how best to advise.

What is it that your present kit does not do, but which you need/want it to do?

Why are you thinking of 3-5 years into the future, yet talking of a 5DII which is best part of three years old?

What do you think a 5DII will enable which is not possible with your current kit?

Piers
Old 14th September 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

With a full-frame camera you really need the very best lenses to get the most out of the sensor. Even Canon (!) has very few which can be said to be truly great on ff. The 17-40 maybe, the 16-35 definitely.

If it's the ultimate in resolution you seek, you'd be better off going for medium-format digital. Otherwise stick with the E-5 and the lenses you already have.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 14th September 2011
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

Get your hands on an E-P3 with the 12mm and 45mm.

I tried Ian's E-P3 and the 12mm at the weekend and the IQ is excellent.

CSCs are the future and so much lighter than "Full Size" DSLRs. I'm also VERY impressed with I-Auto... Never thought I would use it, but gave it a try for a whole days walkabout shoot and have changed my default mode setting...

Do let us know what side of the fence you fall on, if it's lightweight kit, you won't need a hand to get up.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 14th September 2011
JackBenedict

Piers + Stephen have said it all.

I had the same concerns as to Landscape photography and looked at FF,however the Canon was a beast - and a beast wasn't what I wanted! I leave that to those people who earn their day to day living using the FF setup.

My E30 + 11-22+12-60 dooes everything in landscaping terms that I as an amateur requires and is a rather nice set up to boot.

If you can really afford to splash the cash as a hobby by all means go ahead and do it. If on the other hand you can borrow said camera and compare it agagainst your current kit, you might not be as impressed as you think.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 14th September 2011
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

For landscapes there is always stitched images if you want huge numbers of pixels.

I have had a few comments from models that my 14-35 is too sharp and shows up all their imperfections...

Never thought I'd say this, but the Sony Nex-7 looks very interesting

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 14th September 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Oooh! I was in this place back in May when I saw a utterly unbelievable Portrait posted on here and then I bought my E-5. I have not been anything other than chuffed to nuts with it! and the BEST BIT is it just made better use of all my ZUIKO and Sigma Lenses !

Stevednp3 - THIS is THE portrait that startled me ! into buying E-5 - do look at Steves gallery ...

These photos are tiny/resized jpegs from RAW/ORF - you would not believe the miniscule detail in A3 prints or viewing on screen the RAW files !

A black dog on a very sunny day ! so difficult ? not to an E-5

A brown and white dog, on the same sunny day !

I dont know your age, but I am "in my Third Wave ..." ... I have absolutely no inclination on buying another camera (except a second E-5 !) and I do rather expect the quality to see out my photography days, happily
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 14th September 2011
Bobpatchcott

Hi
I had the same dilemma a few months ago my son bought a Nikon D700 and the results he was getting were excellent, I was very tempted to defect but common sense prevailed and I bought an E-5 instead I have not regretted it for one moment it is a superb camera.

Regards Bob.
Old 14th September 2011

I forgot to say "Colours" ! Check out OOC from the others ... its no-way as good OOC !

the ONE photo album
Old 14th September 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,149 Times in 2,458 Posts
Liked 4,455 Times in 2,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kherb View Post
Hi all, need some help, after years finally goy the kit I want, going to upgrade the e3 to e5 but just cant do it, I keep thiking what will I want to do in 3 - 5 years time.
I shoot mainly portrates & landscapes, I am thinking, I hate to say it Full Frame 5D11.
I have the following: E3, HDL4, FL36, 12-60SWD, 50-200SWD, 9-18 ,18-180, 35 macro, EC 14, remote.

Advise please, what would you do, Buy E5 and see what happens in the future or sell all now & change system.
Hi Kherb,

I suspect from the way you worded this question that your real concern is will the Four Thirds E-System still be supported in 5 years time and will there be further upgrades to the E-5? The answer to that is we just don't know.

However, 5 years is a very long time in digital photography and we don't know what impact mirrorless cameras will make by then or what form they will be. Canon and Nikon rule the roost in DSLRs but might have problems adapting to mirrorless technology. I have heard their lens mounts are not condusive to this and that might be why Nikon's anticipated entry to the market is rumoured to have a smaller than Four Thirds sesnor - if true, that'll go down well with the Nikon Faithfull! Very little is known about Canon's plans but I read somewhere recently that a top business analyst in Japan has warned they will need to enter the market soon.

The 5dII is an excellent camera capable of truely stunning results, but so is the E-5. The Canon has the edge in resolution for producing really big prints but, with it's lenses is significantly bigger and heavier and if changing lenses outdoors its sensor is prone to dust. I'd be surprised if you could see much difference at 16x12.

Ulimately, the most important thing is handling as both cameras give great results. Try to get to handle the Canon to see how it suits you - the E-5 will be very similar to the E-3 you already have.

Given the choice I would personally have the E-5, but I can't choose for you!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 15th September 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks all, E5 it is.
Old 15th September 2011

C o n g r a t u l a t i o n' s ! Now, where are you going to buy from ?

beware of Simply Electronics and there is another supplier who is dodgy too, forget the name if you post E-5 suppliers or search the E-5 thread you may find the duffers!

the ONE photo album
Old 16th September 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Kerso as some in stock at a good price.
Old 16th September 2011

will pm a I need a 2nd body !

the ONE photo album