Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements

Announcements E-System news releases.

Old 25th September 2010
Kiwi Paul

Re: From the Horses mouth ...

Is the E620 being discontinued too?

Paul
Old 25th September 2010

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Hi been reading your rants, over olympus they didnt say that they were ditching the e series, the e620 e30 maybe be taken of the shelf, but that may indicate that Olympus have some thing else to put in their place say after christmas, They have done this before, and with the progress of panasonic with m4/3rds that they have achieved 5 fps and over sized sensor.

Maybe Olympus are waiting for panasonic to release this sensor and reduced voltage circuitry, for a brand new olympus dslr type mirrorless camera in the realms of a e600 sized and shaped body that will take both 4/3rds and m4/3rds lenses without loss of performance.

Dave
Old 25th September 2010

Liked 301 Times in 124 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
Is the E620 being discontinued too?

Paul
SRS said they had some in stock but were having difficulty in getting more. If you look on eBay virtually all the Oly stuff is MFT. I hope there's something new on the way!

EM1i, EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 29th September 2010
Telemark

I was reading a review on the E5 (the link was posted somewhere on this site actually) and the reviewer said that Oly had stopped making the 620 - which is sad if true, as I'd hoped to buy one when I get back into work. I had hoped it would also be upgraded, but it does rather look as though Oly are focussing on the M4/3 cameras and standard.
Old 29th September 2010
Administrator

Liked 505 Times in 279 Posts

It's not a done deal ..

Quote:
Many thanks for your response it is important to me that Olympus listen to us customers I do feel that whilst the E-5 is an excellent camera you are in grave potential to customers because you are focussing on only 2 parts of the range

The Pen cameras are simply too small for my hands and the E-5 is simply too large for what I want to carry The EVF on the Pens is nowhere near as good as the viewfinder on my E-500 / E-510 and still less good than that on my E-30

The range between your options is where I wish to purchase and I really hope you bring out more camera bodies in this range because I would hate to have to move to another brand

Regards
Andy

Quote:
Dear Mr. Kendall,

Thank you for your frank comments regarding the E-System and Pen bodies.

We appreciate your feedback and will pass on it to our department concerned as voice of the customer for our future reference.

We hope for your continued support for Olympus products.

Sincerely yours,

xxxxxxxxx
Customer Support Center
OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. Tokyo, Japan

I suggest everyone with an interest makes their point directly

https://support.olympus.co.jp/cf_sec...=ProDigitalSLR
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 29th September 2010

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

A bog standard reply.
I wouldn't have expected anything else.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 30th September 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,453 Posts
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveart View Post

Maybe Olympus are waiting for panasonic to release this sensor and reduced voltage circuitry, for a brand new olympus dslr type mirrorless camera in the realms of a e600 sized and shaped body that will take both 4/3rds and m4/3rds lenses without loss of performance.

Dave
I firmly believe that eventually we will have a mirrorless camera from Olympus that encompasses MFT technology but is the size (if not the shape) of a current - sorry, until recently current - FT body such as the E-620 of E-30, in order to better utilize the fantastic range of digital Zuikos. Such a camera will have an EVF and AF system that matches or betters existing DSLRs. The problem is that, unless Olympus have a real surprise up their sleeve, the technology is still under development and probably at least a couple of years down the line. The time to pull the plug on ranges such as the E-xxx and E-xx would be when such a camera is actually available, not now!

It may be that the problem is that Olympus just aren't sharing the whole picture with us. Vague reassurances along the lines that there will always be a body on which to use FT lenses just don't inspire confidence. They need to be far more specific regarding what and when, even if that does let competitors know more about their plans than Olympus would like.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 30th September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I firmly believe that eventually we will have a mirrorless camera from Olympus that encompasses MFT technology but is the size (if not the shape) of a current - sorry, until recently current - FT body such as the E-620 of E-30, in order to better utilize the fantastic range of digital Zuikos. Such a camera will have an EVF and AF system that matches or betters existing DSLRs. The problem is that, unless Olympus have a real surprise up their sleeve, the technology is still under development and probably at least a couple of years down the line. The time to pull the plug on ranges such as the E-xxx and E-xx would be when such a camera is actually available, not now!

It may be that the problem is that Olympus just aren't sharing the whole picture with us. Vague reassurances along the lines that there will always be a body on which to use FT lenses just don't inspire confidence. They need to be far more specific regarding what and when, even if that does let competitors know more about their plans than Olympus would like.
I agree John, and I think there are people that are already switching brands due to Olympus not being clear on it's intent with regards to when they will be dropping the E-xxx and E-xx systems. There is also one other thing that bothered me in viewing the different video interviews, is that they kept referring to the E-5's picture quality has been improved and then mention the SHG & HG glass pretty much in the same sentence.

I can't help but get the impression that if I buy a E-5 and put SHG glass on it that I will get better quality pic's than say the E-3 or E-30 that I was using standard or HG glass on, well duh, wouldn't this also true if I used SHG on any of the E-xx or E-xxx bodies.

Is Olympus going to drop most of it's standard & HG glass for the 4/3 systems, making the standard & HG glass available for is the MFT? I just don't like the way Olympus is skating around most of the concerns of the 4/3 supporters, if you really pay close attention to the videos you will notice that questions concerning the future of 4/3 were not positive, and the focus got quickly changed to the R&D they are doing in MFT.
Old 30th September 2010
Telemark

I am sorry to say that I think it likely, having regards to Olympus' lack of info and the fact that the Exxx series is already on it's way out, that my next camera (as I'll be switching system anyway) is likely to be a Nikon. I had hoped that I'd be getting a 620 (or it's equivalent when I'm actually in a position to buy), but I'm rather disinclined to jump into a body and system that the manufacturer is being decidedly "woolly" about.
Old 30th September 2010

Liked 873 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
I had hoped that I'd be getting a 620 (or it's equivalent when I'm actually in a position to buy), but I'm rather disinclined to jump into a body and system that the manufacturer is being decidedly "woolly" about.
Yes sadly I believe this is a pretty fundamental mistake that Olympus has made, dropping the medium range D-SLR and suggesting that the Olympus faithful should migrate to a Pen body for similar performance.
Seems to me that there is a big hole in their strategy by taking this approach. I just can't understand it

The dilemma about changing brand fills me with dread. From experience, I know that if I do that I will be disappointed with other brand's zoom performance.
Olympus really do punch above their weight where the lenses are concerned, bodies perhaps not but with the HG and SHG lenses we really are spoilt rotten

That leaves me even more confused

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 30th September 2010
Administrator

Liked 505 Times in 279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Yes sadly I believe this is a pretty fundamental mistake that Olympus has made, dropping the medium range D-SLR and suggesting that the Olympus faithful should migrate to a Pen body for similar performance.
Seems to me that there is a big hole in their strategy by taking this approach. I just can't understand it
It's not dropped... .it's just not confimed ... keep telling olympus

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 30th September 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
It's not dropped... .it's just not confimed ... keep telling olympus

Regards
Andy
Well I've made my feeling known via that link you gave us Andy. Thanks.

Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 30th September 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,453 Posts
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,112 Posts

Quote:

The dilemma about changing brand fills me with dread. From experience, I know that if I do that I will be disappointed with other brand's zoom performance.
Olympus really do punch above their weight where the lenses are concerned, bodies perhaps not but with the HG and SHG lenses we really are spoilt rotten

That leaves me even more confused
Huw, surely with all your lenses it would cost far more to change brands than to buy an E-5? I appreciate that we don't know if this will be the last Olympus DSLR but even if it is it should last a good few years! Whatever happens, I've no intention of changing brands.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 1st October 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Huw, surely with all your lenses it would cost far more to change brands than to buy an E-5? I appreciate that we don't know if this will be the last Olympus DSLR but even if it is it should last a good few years! Whatever happens, I've no intention of changing brands.
Yes I agree, no dispute there.
I just wish Olympus would throw us more than the couple of bones we have at the moment regarding 4/3rds future. And as I said in my previous post I'm sure there would be a good chance that I would end up regretting it if I did change systems again, after all when I look at it objectively there is no question in my mind that I came back to Olympus for the right reasons.
So I'm sitting tight for the moment at least.

Capture One Pro
My flickr

Last edited by Greytop; 1st October 2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: typo
The Following User Says Thank You to Greytop For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (1st October 2010)
Old 1st October 2010

Liked 301 Times in 124 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Quote:
Well I've made my feeling known via that link you gave us Andy. Thanks.

I have too.

EM1i, EM1ii, EM10ii