Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 19th June 2019
pdk42's Avatar
pdk42 pdk42 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Leamington Spa
Posts: 5,710
Thanks: 370
Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Likes: 150
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts
Re: Honestly, do you like autofocus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Ŵhat about the annoying green light used to confirm focus?
It's not annoying since it tells me that the focus acquisition has worked. In any case, I use the small focus point so it's hardly distracting.
__________________
Paul
E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
flickr
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 19th June 2019
pdk42's Avatar
pdk42 pdk42 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Leamington Spa
Posts: 5,710
Thanks: 370
Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Likes: 150
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts
Re: Honestly, do you like autofocus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
The green light doesn't bother me and I find the bleep reassuring.
I find constant muttering to myself helps too!
__________________
Paul
E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
flickr
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 19th June 2019
Jim Ford Jim Ford is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 8,269
Thanks: 452
Thanked 584 Times in 506 Posts
Likes: 2,618
Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts
Re: Honestly, do you like autofocus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Ŵhat about the annoying green light used to confirm focus?
It is The Universal Green and being solitary symbolises the unity of Nature with the Oneness of the Human Spirit. It's very Zen if you stare at it long enough - but I find that often the battery gives out before you achieve the desired spiritual state.

Jim
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
griffljg (20th June 2019), Internaut (20th June 2019), Naughty Nigel (19th June 2019), OM USer (20th June 2019), pdk42 (19th June 2019)
  #19  
Old 19th June 2019
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 22,066
Thanks: 1,984
Thanked 3,151 Times in 2,459 Posts
Likes: 3,385
Liked 4,455 Times in 2,116 Posts
Re: Honestly, do you like autofocus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I find constant muttering to myself helps too!
Definitely!
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 19th June 2019
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 9,558
Thanks: 385
Thanked 547 Times in 462 Posts
Likes: 3,316
Liked 2,279 Times in 1,506 Posts
Re: Honestly, do you like autofocus?

I don't particularly like auto focus but it does come in handy sometimes. I much prefer to focus manually and I usually do a better job than the camera because I know what I want to focus on.

I enjoy the simplicity of the waist level finders on my medium format cameras and the bright, clear viewfinders on my old OM cameras with fast primes attached. I find the current crop of lenses and viewfinders much less satisfying to use by comparison.
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ricoh (19th June 2019)
  #21  
Old 19th June 2019
MJ224's Avatar
MJ224 MJ224 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Carmarthenshire
Posts: 13,006
Thanks: 877
Thanked 690 Times in 641 Posts
Likes: 6,505
Liked 3,525 Times in 1,639 Posts
Re: Honestly, do you like autofocus?

AF was my salvation, especially with those Fresnel screens...
__________________
My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 19th June 2019
Ricoh Ricoh is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 5,792
Thanks: 592
Thanked 421 Times in 373 Posts
Likes: 787
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Re: Honestly, do you like autofocus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I don't particularly like auto focus but it does come in handy sometimes. I much prefer to focus manually and I usually do a better job than the camera because I know what I want to focus on.

I enjoy the simplicity of the waist level finders on my medium format cameras and the bright, clear viewfinders on my old OM cameras with fast primes attached. I find the current crop of lenses and viewfinders much less satisfying to use by comparison.
I particularly like the RF, no black out when the shutter operates, easier to focus in bad igniting, being able to see outside the frame (I've just acquired a 90mm Summicron and the breathing space around the frame lines is fabulous) helping with compositional decisions. Also, there's no bleeping or green focus LEDs confirming focus - no need.
__________________
Steve

on flickr
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (20th June 2019)
  #23  
Old 20th June 2019
IPWheatley IPWheatley is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Northampton
Posts: 265
Thanks: 49
Thanked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Likes: 67
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Honestly, do you like autofocus?

Here we goes again. Let me ask you two questions Steve. 1. Why did men like HCB and the rest use cameras like the Leica RF back in their day? Answer. Because it was the best available to them at the time. 2. If they were still around today would they now be shooting Digital? Answer. You bet your sweet life they would, they were innovators and would have embraced modern technology wholeheartedly.

My suggestion to you is to sell all your digital gear as you are obviously not happy with modern technology and go back to taking your fuzzy, grainy snaps exclusively. You seem to enjoy being a Luddite. Regards, Ian W.
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (20th June 2019), Otto (20th June 2019)
  #24  
Old 20th June 2019
Ricoh Ricoh is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 5,792
Thanks: 592
Thanked 421 Times in 373 Posts
Likes: 787
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Re: Honestly, do you like autofocus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPWheatley View Post
Here we goes again. Let me ask you two questions Steve. 1. Why did men like HCB and the rest use cameras like the Leica RF back in their day? Answer. Because it was the best available to them at the time. 2. If they were still around today would they now be shooting Digital? Answer. You bet your sweet life they would, they were innovators and would have embraced modern technology wholeheartedly.

My suggestion to you is to sell all your digital gear as you are obviously not happy with modern technology and go back to taking your fuzzy, grainy snaps exclusively. You seem to enjoy being a Luddite. Regards, Ian W.
Are you not aware that there are digital RFs - Leica make several and I own one. Manual focus of course. Ok I can't take successful pictures of 'birds in flight', but why would I wish to do so.
__________________
Steve

on flickr
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 20th June 2019
blu-by-u blu-by-u is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Selangor, Malaysia
Posts: 1,896
Thanks: 225
Thanked 100 Times in 86 Posts
Likes: 333
Liked 688 Times in 363 Posts
Re: Honestly, do you like autofocus?

Why is this thread like those youngsters seeing a 35mm film camera going goo gaa. and some even want to buy a 35mm and shoot film I tell them, set that ISO to 200, close that screen inwards, off the SCP, turn off that review, Turn that WB to Sunlight, Turn it to Manual, limit to 36 shots only don't review the shots taken till a week later. You have a 35mm film camera there.

P.S. Pay for the 4R prints.

You are now in the digital age. Just embrace it. Concentrate on the composition, Let what you paid for handle the rest.
__________________
* Henry
* Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor
* Malaysia


All my garbage so far.
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (20th June 2019), Otto (20th June 2019), TimP (20th June 2019)
  #26  
Old 20th June 2019
Ricoh Ricoh is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 5,792
Thanks: 592
Thanked 421 Times in 373 Posts
Likes: 787
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Re: Honestly, do you like autofocus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
Why is this thread like those youngsters seeing a 35mm film camera going goo gaa. and some even want to buy a 35mm and shoot film I tell them, set that ISO to 200, close that screen inwards, off the SCP, turn off that review, Turn that WB to Sunlight, Turn it to Manual, limit to 36 shots only don't review the shots taken till a week later. You have a 35mm film camera there.

P.S. Pay for the 4R prints.

You are now in the digital age. Just embrace it. Concentrate on the composition, Let what you paid for handle the rest.
Who mentioned film? That's a totally different debate, but not here.
__________________
Steve

on flickr
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 20th June 2019
Otto's Avatar
Otto Otto is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 2,976
Thanks: 91
Thanked 270 Times in 238 Posts
Likes: 1,024
Liked 862 Times in 550 Posts
Re: Honestly, do you like autofocus?

AF is valuable when the viewfinder doesn't have any focussing aids (microprism etc) and your eyes are getting old like mine.
__________________
Regards
Richard
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 20th June 2019
IPWheatley IPWheatley is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Northampton
Posts: 265
Thanks: 49
Thanked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Likes: 67
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Honestly, do you like autofocus?

In answer to Richos question, I am well aware that there are digital RFs, I own one, namely the Fuji XPro1 coupled with six Fuji XF lenses. Superb and at a fraction of the cost of a Leica. Out of all the cameras I own this is my go to, and paired with my 14mm prime I would say it compares favourably with anything from Leica . Regards, Ian W.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 20th June 2019
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 22,066
Thanks: 1,984
Thanked 3,151 Times in 2,459 Posts
Likes: 3,385
Liked 4,455 Times in 2,116 Posts
Re: Honestly, do you like autofocus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post

..easier to focus in bad igniting
Is that what causes hot pixels?
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (20th June 2019)
  #30  
Old 20th June 2019
pdk42's Avatar
pdk42 pdk42 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Leamington Spa
Posts: 5,710
Thanks: 370
Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Likes: 150
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts
Re: Honestly, do you like autofocus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPWheatley View Post
In answer to Richos question, I am well aware that there are digital RFs, I own one, namely the Fuji XPro1 coupled with six Fuji XF lenses. Superb and at a fraction of the cost of a Leica. Out of all the cameras I own this is my go to, and paired with my 14mm prime I would say it compares favourably with anything from Leica . Regards, Ian W.
I agree - I still fail to see the value proposition of Leica. Maybe there's a lifetime repair angle, but from a price/features/results perspective it doesn't make sense at all.
__________________
Paul
E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
flickr
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Internaut (21st June 2019), IPWheatley (20th June 2019), Petrochemist (25th June 2019)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
40-150 autofocus motor..... Phil Angel Telephoto 2 12th September 2012 07:36 PM
HELP! 70-300 autofocus problems. Batman Telephoto 20 11th July 2012 09:42 AM
70-300 Autofocus Failure Batman Telephoto 13 2nd February 2012 05:17 PM
50-200 SWD wont autofocus michaelavis Telephoto 12 4th January 2010 09:50 AM
HELP! E-3 Autofocus problems John Anderson Olympus E-3 2 28th September 2009 11:21 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:09 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger