Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements

Announcements E-System news releases.

Old 29th May 2009
Xpres

Re: VOTE HERE for your three favourite Beauty of Winter comp entries

Mutiny in the ranks? - to continue the nautical theme....
I wonder how Ian is? Been quiet for a while.
Old 29th May 2009
bernie

Hmmm.... Hacked off and embarrassed perhaps.

Do Olympus and this site really want to get a reputation for offering competition prizes that never materialise? Then no explanation, giving the impression of a lack of regard for their customers, (you and me). Not exactly good PR is it?
Old 29th May 2009

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

But not every good photographer will make a good judge. The competition needs to be judged by one independant person who has not entered it. Not me then.
This is the only way to get an unbiased result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
I did drop Olympus a note asking whether they were having a problem wit the competition for some reason, but got the same (no) response

Si I'm going to suggest that we suggest to Ian that we gather up a group of pressed men (nautilcal not sexist term) and suggest that we ask for them to be allowed to come up with a decision

This would need to be sufficient people to allow for the fact that people will have entered themseleves and it would have to be non-volunteers (sorry Dave Benvendetta - not a personal dig noting your post above) that have proven their capability in terms of the pictures that they have posted into this forum.

This means to me that we have people like

AndyM
Pete Snaarman
Nick Temple Fry
John (Zukio) Perriment
Graham_of_Rainham

I know there are others who are eminently capable, but these are the ones I've picked out to victimise...

Regards
Andy

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 30th May 2009
Makonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie View Post
Hmmm.... Hacked off and embarrassed perhaps.

Do Olympus and this site really want to get a reputation for offering competition prizes that never materialise? Then no explanation, giving the impression of a lack of regard for their customers, (you and me). Not exactly good PR is it?
The whole 'beauties of winter' thing has been a turnoff from start to finish!

Also, with our own monthly comps last year there were supposed to have been little prizes. Nothing much, but still.... Susan won, I came second. Many months later, nothing has appeared in the post. How about you, Susan?

Another turnoff.
Old 30th May 2009

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts

For what its worth have deleated my entry to the comp. So problem solved for me.
Old 30th May 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makonde View Post
The whole 'beauties of winter' thing has been a turnoff from start to finish!

Also, with our own monthly comps last year there were supposed to have been little prizes. Nothing much, but still.... Susan won, I came second. Many months later, nothing has appeared in the post. How about you, Susan?

Another turnoff.
Hold on hold on... the 'prizes' offered in the annualisation [is that the right expression...?] of the monthly challenges was based on something I compiled secretly, and privately, over the course of the year. At no time have Olympus made any offer of prizes for this - it was something I personally compiled, with no expectation of offering anything in the form of a prize other than prestige and kudos, and that Ian agreed to. Personally, I find criticism of this a little sour and distasteful and I am disappointed you find this a turnoff.

Susan was contacted a few months ago, and I passed the information on to Ian who personally offered to put up a bag of goodies as a prize.

I can't comment on the Beauty of Winter competition though, as this is an Olympus sponsored challenge. I will contact Ian in an attempt to ascertain the status, in the meantime can I ask for your patience, thanks.

John

Old 5th June 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can appreciate that the prizes were not the point of the competition and at no time was this the aim of entering, the fun of entering was going out and taking photo's, and having the challenge of viewing things from sometimes a different concept than one would normally view them.

I can confirm though that nothing has arrived in the post Makonde, I do however feel that it was mentioned a few times and things were said they were going to be done and never happened.

Due to time restriction and planning I've not been out much with my camera and hence have not participated much in the site the last few months, this compiled with waiting 6 weeks to hear the outcome of last years annual results has made me wonder about the site, and i do state the site and not the members.

Susan
Old 5th June 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Hi Susan

My apologies about this, I have informed Ian a few times now, and will do so once again.

John

Old 5th June 2009
gno

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Hi Susan

My apologies about this, I have informed Ian a few times now, and will do so once again.

John
Hi John,

I think you have been put in a very difficult position regarding this entire business through no fault of your own.
It seems that those who should be speaking up are not, and this does not show Olympus in a good light.

Regards

Gavin
Old 7th June 2009
donmcmahan

I think Westy has the right idea, you should all delete your photos from the comp gallery in protest, then if they ever do get around to awarding the prize mine will be the only entry left.
Old 7th June 2009

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts

My Intention was not to cause a stampead of withdrawals from the competition. I am quite sure that the entrants will eventually get a closure to the competition, and am quite sure that Ian and Olympus have their reasons for the delay in the competition results.
I withdrew because of personal reasons,as we have had a death within the family and to be quite honest at the moment wanted to clear one thing from my agenda. As you can appreciate there are some things in life that are more Important than a hobby. At the moment that includes giving my wife all the support that I can.
This forum Is a lovely community of like minded individuals enjoying what I believe to be one of the most enjoyable pass times available. As it not only gives joy to the photographer, but to so many other people who view our photos. Please support the people on this forum who give so much of their time payed or other wise.
Sorry for rambling on its just that I do not want to see this forum go the way of so many others.
Old 19th June 2009
donmcmahan

Were you all waiting for me? sorry I was dumbfounded by that one!