Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 21st January 2018

Liked 3,187 Times in 1,717 Posts
Viewfinder Image Jumps Around in Low (at Sensor) Light

I use small apertures for macro and flash for image capture. Mostly, I use legacy, manual focus lenses, with the camera in manual mode.

For a given aperture (stopped down), when the ambient light level gets rather dim e.g. overcast weather, the images in the viewfinder jumps around constantly and is blurred. The final image is sharp, if I have judged/guessed the focus correctly. This is the same, whether IS is on or off.

Any suggestions? Does this occur with star shots?

I don't understand what mechanism can be causing this.

I know this is about light level because, when circumstances allow, shining a bright torch on the subject stops the symptoms.

Harold
Old 21st January 2018

Liked 723 Times in 483 Posts
Re: Viewfinder Image Jumps Around in Low (at Sensor) Light

Sometimes I have to crank the ISO way up when shooting rugby or musicians in very poor light, and the fluency of the viewfinder display deteriorates quite noticeably. I haven't tries any controlled experiments but I'd guess it's visible by about ISO 3200. This is with a micro-4/3 lens wide open, so could correspond to your experience with manual stop-down lenses. I put it down to the sensor and electronics having too work so hard to assemble enough photons to make a reasonable image in the viewfinder.

John
Old 21st January 2018

Liked 1,515 Times in 749 Posts
Re: Viewfinder Image Jumps Around in Low (at Sensor) Light

When shooting some astro shots the viewfinder display does jump around at high ISO. I agree with John its probably down to the electronics doing its best to make a reasonable image to display.

When actually shooting astro shots at say ISO800 the display can sometimes be completely black but there is an image captured all be it very feint. Using Oly Capture you can boost the Live View to get an idea of what you are capturing.

My Flickr