Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 1st October 2017

Liked 472 Times in 248 Posts
Focus Peaking

So, on my E-M1 Mark ll, I've set up the focus peaking in menu D3-2. I've turned on focus peaking in menu A3. I've set a button to change from autofocus to manual focus.

When I press said button to go into manual focus, no peaking colour shows.
When I even slightly turn the manually focus, peaking colour shows ..... then, when I have focus set and haven't toutched it for a second or so, the colour goes off.

Surely the peaking colour should stay on all the time so that I can use my body sway, or such like, to focus.

Since peaking is turned on, there's got to be another setting to keep it on all the time in manual .... I just can't find it

Old 1st October 2017

Liked 125 Times in 84 Posts
Re: Focus Peaking

As soon as I pull the focus ring back and turn the peaking glows (mk1). I think I did setup a button once but it zoomed into the focus peaking opposed to the view observed from pulling the ring back. The ring imo is the best option if Im understanding you correctly. The focus ring on the lens switches from manual to auto focus with ease.
Old 1st October 2017

Liked 3,486 Times in 1,626 Posts

I think the "peaking" only occurs whilst focusing.

When focused you are able to see the image you want without fuzzy lines on it..

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (2nd October 2017)
Old 1st October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboo View Post
As soon as I pull the focus ring back and turn the peaking glows (mk1). I think I did setup a button once but it zoomed into the focus peaking opposed to the view observed from pulling the ring back. The ring imo is the best option if Im understanding you correctly. The focus ring on the lens switches from manual to auto focus with ease.

Thank you timboo. The only lens I have with a pull back focus ring is the 12-100 Pro. My 75-300 and 60mm macro do not.

@MJ224 ( sorry, I can only seem to copy one reply). Thank you. I understand what you say, but it doesn't seem to make sense on a camera of this calibre. When I stop focussing via the lens, the peaking should stay on if I am in manual and peaking is turned on. Otherwise, how can I then focus by moving my body/camera if something is moving slightly.

Thanks both for your replies.
Old 3rd October 2017

Does anyone know how to stop the peaking lights turning off automatically when manual focussing via the lens focus ring has stopped? It does this even though peaking is turned on in the A3 menu. I want peaking to stay on whilst in manual mode.

Thank you.

Keith
Old 3rd October 2017

Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts

I just have peaking assigned to a button, (doesn't mater which one), and I can turn it on an off at will.
Old 4th October 2017

Thank you DanC.Licks.

I tried assigning a button to turn on/off focus peaking and it works. Doing it like that, peaking stays on as long as I want it to (on autofocus too!).

I am used to Sony where, if M/F is turned on with a button, peaking comes on at the same time and stays on until M/F is turned off. I hadn't realized the need to program a second button on the Olympus.

Problem solved. Thanks again.

Keith
Old 4th October 2017

Keith,
That is one of the joys of the Olympus system, especially on the Mark II. It is amazing how much and how exactly you can configure the camera to your own personal needs. You might have a look here:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=343596
maybe something useful...

Dan
Old 4th October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC.Licks View Post
Keith,
That is one of the joys of the Olympus system, especially on the Mark II. It is amazing how much and how exactly you can configure the camera to your own personal needs. You might have a look here:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=343596
maybe something useful...

Dan
Thanks so much Dan.

You are right, there is so much to configure, it's confusing at times trying to set up in a way which will not need many tweeks as I go along and get used to shooting with the camera.

Just at a quick glance your settings and comments in birdforum look to be very valuable as I slowly go along getting my camera set up. The page is an instant bookmark so I can refer to it as I go along, hopefully preventing me making too many new camera syndrome errors and giving me insight as to where I am going.

Many thanks again

Keith
Old 5th October 2017

One of the great things about the new C1-C3 sets is that they can be tweaked according to specific needs and circumstances and the changes can be saved without changing any other settings in the camera. I don't think of them as fixed settings, but rather as starting places. So, for instance, if there is good light and I want a little more DoF for BiFs, I go to C2, stop down to f/8 and save the changes. As I often go back and forth from one set to another, it gives me one less thing to think about.
Now that I have the new 300/4 Pro I am giving some thought to using C-AF on C3, but I still have to learn its limitations before I can set up C3 sensibly. Takes time and subject matter. Not much flying around this time of year...
I am an avid tinkerer, and I find it fun to play with the settings and find out what works and what doesn't. As I said, work in progress... ;-)
Old 5th October 2017

Liked 3,486 Times in 1,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post

@MJ224 ( sorry, I can only seem to copy one reply).
Thanks both for your replies.
I think you use the Inverted Comma with a + below it to get multiple quotes........

My Flickr
Old 5th October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC.Licks View Post
One of the great things about the new C1-C3 sets is that they can be tweaked according to specific needs and circumstances and the changes can be saved without changing any other settings in the camera. I don't think of them as fixed settings, but rather as starting places. So, for instance, if there is good light and I want a little more DoF for BiFs, I go to C2, stop down to f/8 and save the changes. As I often go back and forth from one set to another, it gives me one less thing to think about.
Now that I have the new 300/4 Pro I am giving some thought to using C-AF on C3, but I still have to learn its limitations before I can set up C3 sensibly. Takes time and subject matter. Not much flying around this time of year...
I am an avid tinkerer, and I find it fun to play with the settings and find out what works and what doesn't. As I said, work in progress... ;-)
Thanks Dan, more info for me to think about. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
I think you use the Inverted Comma with a + below it to get multiple quotes........
Thanks MJ224. I totally missed the little sign you pointed out. As you can see, I got it now.
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (5th October 2017)