Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Dealers' Den

Dealers' Den The idea of this board is to provide a link between e-group members and Olympus UK dealers.

Old 26th June 2017

Liked 383 Times in 146 Posts
Unhappy Bristol Cameras experience

This is not specifically about Olympus-gear, but as this retailer does sell Olympus kit, my experience may still be of general interest.

I ordered a new compact camera online from Bristol Cameras at the beginning of June, wanting it for going away on the 20th. (just a quick city break, didn't want to take the full kitbag) I had an acknowledgement email from a no-reply address. Website stated delivery within 3-5 business day, which duly came and went with no delivery. I was generous and gave them a few more days, before phoning up to check on the status of things.

"Oh", quoth the guy who answered, "that's out of stock right now, you should have been updated about that." I agreed that this would have been nice, and when were they expecting said new stock? When it transpired that it would not be in time for me going away, I said I'd have to cancel the order and could they refund my credit card please. No problem, it would be done right away.

So I went away (having got my compact from WEX instead), came back, and today in comes my credit card statement. No refund. This some 10 days after my cancellation, so plenty of time to have done so. Annoyingly, they don't have an email address. I was going to send my original receipt/acknowledgement with all the details, but no, had to phone up again instead.

Explained the situation, where was my refund? "Oh" quoth the guy (same guy? don't know, was silly enough not to take a name the first time) "that order is still live". Well I made it clear that it should NOT be, and I was a bit miffed at both the utter lack of communication on all occasions through this process, and the fact that they owed me a refund I would now have to pay off this month before getting it back.

He did apologise (and I took names this time!), and said it would be done today. I have subsequently had another no-reply email confirming this, so it's finally looking hopeful.

However, I won't be dealing with them again. One screw-up you may excuse, two on the same order starts to look like sloppy business practice. And not being contactable by email, when you want to send a 'paper trail' of evidence, is surely unacceptable in this day and age. Phone conversations alone, as shown by this experience, are often not good enough, as they may not be acted upon. So I'm unimpressed, and will be sticking to my tired & tested retail sources in future.

As ever, your experience may be different, but that was mine...

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MargaretR For This Useful Post:
George Dorn (26th June 2017), OM USer (26th June 2017), pault (26th June 2017)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (26th June 2017)
Old 26th June 2017

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
Re: Bristol Cameras experience

They do seem to get very mixed reviews and it was stories like this that caused me agonies when I finally risked ordering my 300 f4 from them (they were 100 cheaper at the time). Luckily all went well for me but I too will probably not rush back to them as with so many stories like yours I feel I was indeed lucky and it is not worth the worry.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miketoll For This Useful Post:
MargaretR (26th June 2017)
Old 26th June 2017

Liked 59 Times in 22 Posts

A tad late, but it may be worth checking out shop reviews here: http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/V...ristol-Cameras
Otto (27th June 2017)
Old 27th June 2017

Liked 383 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Donkey View Post
A tad late, but it may be worth checking out shop reviews here: http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/V...ristol-Cameras
Thanks. I wasn't aware of that section of that site, although I use it for price comparisons. I shall add my voice to the poor reviews!

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook
Old 27th June 2017

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Have used them 3 or 4 times and no issues so far.

They processed one exchange for me without a hitch.

I did communicate with them through email as well on shop@bristolcameras.co.uk so you should be able to deal with them on email.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cerebus For This Useful Post:
MargaretR (29th June 2017)
Old 27th June 2017

Liked 115 Times in 62 Posts

I had an issue with them several years ago. I can't remember the details but I vowed never to buy from them again. I remember it being a not very pleasant experience

Edit: The lack of an email address rings a loud bell.

Steve
MargaretR (29th June 2017)